Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2013, 11:14 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,326,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
This is the same mentality as that of many Obama voters, who want to drive all non black businesses out of the ghetto. This ethnic cleansing is the same as what happened in Bosnia but its non PC to challenge Zimbabwe on this since the victims are white Christians instead of Muslims like in Bosnia. And its especially not acceptable to accuse blacks like Mugabe of racism since blacks cannot be racist, not even Wright, Sharpton, Jackson, or Gates. Blacks can only be victims of racism. The only reason George Zimmerman is being accused of racism is because the media at first thought he was white, and now they can't drop these accusations despite finidng out he is HIspanic since that would mean they admit they were wrong in the first place. And the liberal media, just like Pravda and the People's Daily, can never be wrong.
Huh, he deliberately ASSumed that an unarmed black youngman was up to no good based on what? Since there is no record of him challenging white males in this manner, so what is up with that? You have a police dept that let a man who killed someone go (with no investigation) based entirely on their questionable word alone. Please tell us when has that ever happen with a black shooter?

But for some reason when blacks look at this case historically since this was common throughout the south in the 50s and 60s many historically challenged whites look at this as race baiting and cannot (or will not) understand why blacks are upset

Old 06-16-2013, 11:24 PM

2,523 posts, read 2,204,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekerSA View Post
Wow a lot must have happened in the last 10 years then /sarcasm

Oh yes, they trimmed off three zeros off their currency and reprinted new money.

To stand out in the region that is ess FUBAR is not difficult with neighbours like Nigeria. There is huge mineral wealth there and sustaining a puppet govt to rape the land is cheaper than having folk go all independent and stuff that makes sense when you own wealth albeit in the soil.

I have actually been there a number of times. I have pics of what it looks like there, want me to post them?
Ghana - GDP - real growth rate - Historical Data Graphs per Year
http://www.indexmundi.com/g/g.aspx?v=65&c=gh&l=en
http://www.ghanabusinessnews.com/201...onomy-in-2013/
Don't get mad at the rest of Africa because South Africa has one of the slowest growing economies in Africa.

Last edited by Michigantown; 06-16-2013 at 11:34 PM..

Old 06-16-2013, 11:43 PM

1,160 posts, read 1,431,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
The veritable subjugation and impoverishment of what was once one of the most prosperous nations in sub-Saharan Africa, that's what. From Africa's breadbasket to Africa's basketcase -- what an accomplishment. Another one bites the dust.
I challenge anyone to cite one African nation that is better off today than it was as a colony of a European nation.

Old 06-16-2013, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker5in1 View Post
I challenge anyone to cite one African nation that is better off today than it was as a colony of a European nation.
Pretty much every nation not in a civil war.

Old 06-16-2013, 11:53 PM

5,563 posts, read 7,216,945 times
Default Thriving economy in Iduapriem Ghana

Look at the roads. This is the second biggest mine of the Anglo Ashanti group.

What is noticeably missing from Ghana is wildlife. All you see are vultures, (in flight here) crows, a very small bird about the size of a locust only seen early mornings and late evenings. There are no baboons, monkeys which should be indigenous to the region. You do not see cattle, goats which one sees in Southern Africa. They have been hunted to extinction and one sees guys along the road occasionally offering dead forest rats they have caught and killed for food.

The railway lines no longer service trains between centres and a trip of ~350km from Accra to Obuasi takes 6-8 hours in a 4x4 SUV.

Gold is flown by helicopter back to Komasi or Accra b/c the roads are so bad and many attacks and hijackings of gold convoys.

The only thing that impressed me in Accra was the fact that businessmen could leave produce like bricks and tiles open to the public overnight on pavements and no one stole anything. That would never happen here in SA.

Near Accra airport, there is a huge circle where in the day there are flea market type vendors. At night, they leave their goods out on display and again, no one seems to be stealing stuff.

Ironically, I saw ads in a paper there for a house for sale "with boy's quarters" That term "boy" was a holdover from the Brits and IIRC, was also used in the USA. The "boy's" quarters are servants quarters and when we stayed in Rhodesia, we had a stay in "boy" that did everything barring cooking but many did this too. The hold overs from the Brits was also batmans who were black conscripts/volunteers responsible for keeping officer's uniforms cleaned, starched and ironed and boots and brass shining spickerish.
Attached Thumbnails
Zimbabwe's last white farmer forced to quit-dsc00021.jpg  

Old 06-17-2013, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekerSA View Post
Look at the roads. This is the second biggest mine of the Anglo Ashanti group.

What is noticeably missing from Ghana is wildlife. All you see are vultures, (in flight here) crows, a very small bird about the size of a locust only seen early mornings and late evenings. There are no baboons, monkeys which should be indigenous to the region. You do not see cattle, goats which one sees in Southern Africa. They have been hunted to extinction and one sees guys along the road occasionally offering dead forest rats they have caught and killed for food.

The railway lines no longer service trains between centres and a trip of ~350km from Accra to Obuasi takes 6-8 hours in a 4x4 SUV.

Gold is flown by helicopter back to Komasi or Accra b/c the roads are so bad and many attacks and hijackings of gold convoys.

The only thing that impressed me in Accra was the fact that businessmen could leave produce like bricks and tiles open to the public overnight on pavements and no one stole anything. That would never happen here in SA.

Near Accra airport, there is a huge circle where in the day there are flea market type vendors. At night, they leave their goods out on display and again, no one seems to be stealing stuff.

Ironically, I saw ads in a paper there for a house for sale "with boy's quarters" That term "boy" was a holdover from the Brits and IIRC, was also used in the USA. The "boy's" quarters are servants quarters and when we stayed in Rhodesia, we had a stay in "boy" that did everything barring cooking but many did this too. The hold overs from the Brits was also batmans who were black conscripts/volunteers responsible for keeping officer's uniforms cleaned, starched and ironed and boots and brass shining spickerish.
WHen did you take take picture

Old 06-17-2013, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigantown View Post
Don't get mad at the rest of Africa because South Africa has one of the slowest growing economies in Africa.
Ha ha ha ha. In 1981 when I emmigrated here, we were producing 65% of the global gold. That went down to 38% when a huge mine in Chile opened up but we still the biggest producer per capita.

Here is something we still make to order in SA.

Rooivalk Helicopter

This was a strong contender to the US contract for the Apache in the 80s. Look up Denel or Armscor.

You live in a fools paradise if you think Ghana is anywhere near SA. A SA company bought out their biggest gold mining group Ashanti goldfields. Called a merger but we all know what that really means...

Oh did I mention, these examples are still white run. Ghana is the size of one our smallest provinces Free State and has population in excess of our richest province Gauteng where all the gold mines are.

But to humour you, I will post a pic of Accra and Johannesburg roads

Accra "Highway"

Main road leaving Accra to inland areas

Gauteng city roads

And this is not even one of the main motorways. The left of pic is an on-ramp to a real motorway. Green signs are rural city roads and blue ones motorways.

Guess who runs the mines in Ghana? White expats from SA, UK and Australia. In Guinea, the mine manager at Siguri was a *gasp* white American. Oh and all the pilots that fly around there are again *gasp* white pilots from places like the Netherlands, SA, Aus, UK. You see these folk contract to the govt for charter flights and supply their own pilots. Ghana airlines shut down while I was working there. Zimbabwe airlines have planes grounded at various airports and confiscated as they do not pay their airport and fuel bills.

Like Zambia, Ghana have come to the realisation they need the white expertise. It is a second wave of colonisation only w/o land grabs, just business. No business offers charity and are there for the mighty dollar the investment brings. Speaking of the dollar, most African countries have abandoner their currency and use the USD.

WHY IS THAT???

Here is a guy paying for a meal for 4 when the Zim$ still existed.

Did I mention when I emigrated to SA in 81, the Zim$ was stronger than the the USD and the ZAR? Now Zim uses ZAR or USD as a currency.

Yup in Ghana I took USD with. I exchanged $50 and got a wad of 50,000 Cedes notes about 2" thick. Two notes bought you a beer if you were lucky. They counted the money with machines as there were so many notes. I carried my money in a moonbag and the USD in my wallet.

The hotels only accepted USD or Sterling or VISA or Master Card.
Attached Thumbnails
Zimbabwe's last white farmer forced to quit-dsc00001.jpg  

Old 06-17-2013, 01:11 AM

Quote:
WHen did you take take picture
April 2004.

The whole country is like this other than Accra which is pretty clean and relatively organised till you go off the beaten track, then the roads are pretty crap too. My host took me to his new house and you would not get there w/o a 4x4 the roads are so bad.

The mine officials have houses built with 10' walls and a permanent security guard posted in a hut built for that purpose. My host built the same at his own house so there must be issues with house break ins.

Now when I stayed in Rhodesia, this is what my parent's house looked like 1980

That is the "boy" spoke of washing my dad's and my car. His name was Nyongo which means snake. A 4' wire gate and a hibiscus hedge was our cordoning off (mainly to keep the dog inside) We never locked the gate.

The same house (pic from last year).

Notice the extra security on the verandah area plus now a 8' steel gate with 8' precast concrete walls.

Old 06-17-2013, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker5in1 View Post
The ex French ones are the worst when it comes to "progress". They were known for scorched earth policies and while I was in Siguri in Guinea, the one guy told me about rubber plantation owners that chopped off hands if they did not bring in the expected days work. These were ex Belgium colonies and not the same Guinea I was in (there are three with that name in North Africa)

We flew out via Konakrie as we had gold on board that had to be cleared by customs. I had to use the WC and the one in 1st class waiting room was not working and there was excrement smeared al over the walls. Well I had to hold it in till we arrived in Accra. Predominantly muslim so I dunno if that counts for anything. The bit I saw of the city standing outside the airport, it was filthy and garbage lying in the streets all over. I did take pics but they are not on this PC.

The guys that worked on my project were called attachments which is a name for temps who get work post school for a year partially subsidised by government and worked an 8 hour day for about $1.50 plus food. These were guys with the Brit GCE O or A levels (Gr 12 or sixth form for A Levels). They take what they can get.

I just love how Americans think that that which appears in a Wiki article is representative of what really is going on here and wish to educate me that lives here and has travelled extensively in Africa.

The current rate for a unskilled/illiterate labourer here is ZAR100 a day where I stay and that is about USD10. In 2004 when I was in Ghana, the guys wanted to come to SA as that was 5 times what they were earning. Back then it was ZAR70/day. Of that ZAR100, they pay about ZAR20 in taxi fares. In the cities the rate is higher as are the taxi fares.

Old 06-17-2013, 01:54 AM

1,160 posts, read 1,431,748 times
Quote:
Pretty much every nation not in a civil war.
Name just one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies