Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2013, 05:50 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,343,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmonger View Post
Well... when you colonize and subjugate an area and exclude most of its population from the political process, you should expect unrest and revolution with probably unfavorable results, as turned out to be the case in Zimbabwe. Sure Mugabe is a ruthless, incompetent dictator but so are most revolutionaries who become leaders. If the colonists had allowed actual democracy things would be different.

Actually I'm wrong, not only about Zimbabwe but about France -- the French Revolution ended up with the Reign of Terror and Napoleon, they should have been grateful to be ruled by the saintly king and Marie Antoinette, who, after all, let them eat cake every day. And it was probably chocolate, too, the ungrateful bastards.
Unfortunately, Marie Antoinette never said anything remotely like the "let them eat cake" attributed to her.
It's been debunked numerous times.

Old 06-09-2013, 07:46 AM

1,316 posts, read 1,452,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Unfortunately, Marie Antoinette never said anything remotely like the "let them eat cake" attributed to her.
It's been debunked numerous times.
You are correct about Antionette....Marx said in this writings, "tell a lie often enough and it becomes the truth"....The Progressives have got that axiom down to perfection....One example is the phony Sarah Palin quote, "You can see Russia from my porch"...You'd be surprised at how many intellegent people attribute that quote to her....

Old 06-09-2013, 03:04 PM

12,688 posts, read 6,764,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado0359 View Post
Apparently the Zimbabwe leadership believes that living free and independent is better than living prosperous and under someone elses control.
Wow your ignorance is showing. The colonization of Africa was brutal. The worst example was Belgian Congo Genocide.

Quote:
From 1885 to 1908, it is estimated that the Congolese native population decreased by about ten million people.[2] Historian Adam Hochshild identifies a number of causes for this loss under Leopold’s reign—murder, starvation, exhaustion and exposure, disease, and plummeting birth rates. Congolese historian Ndaywel e Nziem estimates the death toll at thirteen million.
European conquerors were certainly not benevolent rulers and they most certainly didn't have the best interests of the people of Africa at heart.

Old 06-09-2013, 03:16 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,951,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
Wow your ignorance is showing. The colonization of Africa was brutal. The worst example was Belgian Congo Genocide.

European conquerors were certainly not benevolent rulers and they most certainly didn't have the best interests of the people of Africa at heart.
Agreed tho many places in "Black" Africa have gone off the rails with NO European help like Rwanda.

Old 06-09-2013, 04:35 PM

73,238 posts, read 62,930,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Agreed tho many places in "Black" Africa have gone off the rails with NO European help like Rwanda.
Actually, this is how I look at how the Rwanda genocide happened. The Hutus and Tutsis never really got along. However, the colonial legacy basically inflamed tensions. Colonialism was nothing benevolent at all. However, the Tutsis were given preferential treatment over the Hutus. Under Belgian rule, this basically created more tensions in an already tense places.

BBC NEWS | Africa | Rwanda: How the genocide happened

Old 06-09-2013, 04:37 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,279,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenofsix View Post
I'm happy they are free from colonialism
Are you happy they are starving?

Old 06-09-2013, 04:47 PM

2,523 posts, read 2,209,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Actually, this is how I look at how the Rwanda genocide happened. The Hutus and Tutsis never really got along. However, the colonial legacy basically inflamed tensions. Colonialism was nothing benevolent at all. However, the Tutsis were given preferential treatment over the Hutus. Under Belgian rule, this basically created more tensions in an already tense places.

BBC NEWS | Africa | Rwanda: How the genocide happened
I think pretty much every Belgian colony end up worse than before Belgium got there

Old 06-09-2013, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Are you happy they are starving?
No, I am not happy about Zimbabwe starving. No, I am not happy about Mugabe. He is a dictator. However, I also know colonialism was basically a dictatorship as well. Any benefits that Africans got from colonialism, they were secondary. Zimbabwe was set up for the locals to basically be dependent. Whites were given the lion's share of the land, and often the best land. Whites were permitted to live in the cities. Blacks, however, were not given such privileges. Blacks, though they made up the majority, were given the worst land, and they were told where they could and could not live. They were told where they could own land. Blacks who wanted to live in the urban areas could only live in the townships. And most Blacks didn't own land. Being able to vote was based on land ownership. Most Blacks could not vote as a result.

Old 06-09-2013, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigantown View Post
I think pretty much every Belgian colony end up worse than before Belgium got there
Half of the population in the Congo(Kinshasa) was killed under the rule of King Leopold, not to mention, alot of people getting their hands chopped off. It was quite brutal. And even when the brutality ended, Blacks suffered discrimination.

Old 06-09-2013, 05:05 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,199,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
Now that Mugabe has ALL of the marbles, what will he and his merry band of revolutionaries be able to accomplish?

Zimbabwe's last white farmer forced to quit - Telegraph
The article was written 5 years ago ...... any news since then?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies