Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2013, 09:22 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,427,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekerSA View Post
Edward, I was born in Zambia and the climate there is no different to Ghana. We had dairy there and fresh milk delivered in bottles to our doorstep every morning. Cattle can adapt to severe temps if they are adequately watered, they flourish in Namibia which is ess desert. I wouldn't know for sure what was there in pre 56 but there were definitely signs of what we call kraals (keeps?) for cattle scattered over the countryside.
Yeah that's why I deleted that statement. I thought about it some more and cows are more durable than I initially thought.

I remembered when I visited Ghana as a child and my mom had to bring all these powdered milk products for our trip. Being the inquisitive kid I asked why do we need to bring these packets? Mom said they don't have good milk in Ghana. From then even as a kid I knew this trip was not going to be a pleasant one. Sure enough from my perspective it was pretty jarring.

Old 06-16-2013, 09:40 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,899,377 times
Being white ain't what it used to be.

Old 06-16-2013, 09:48 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,912,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekerSA View Post
I see you are pretty uninformed. Prior to independence we did transition with a new styled govt. representing Coloureds and Asians. Granted not black folk but they already had their homelands where they ruled supreme.

The point you obviously miss is now with blacks in charge, the farm I showed, clearly illustrates incompetence both from black leadership and black entrepreneurs. How is the destruction of that farm the white man's fault?

W/o the white man, that farm would not even existed in the first place. The govt paid the farmer for his land, he relocated started anew, is still rich and the claimant still pi$$ poor. This is one example of many. There are no exceptions or any success stories from these debacles. In Zim it is worse as they simple seize the land. These displaced white farmers are being offered land in Zambia and they are now returning fallow land to once prosperous farms and creating jobs.

So why can the black man NOT do the same? In Zim they leave their farms with a suitcase if they are lucky, all equipment remains behind yet no success stories there. Why is that? The "victims" of colonialism are all mostly dead now so the generation that should be able to do this cannot and they have had the full benefit of a Brit education.

You cannot blame the incompetence on black folk on the colonial whites. I grew up in Zim and see what they have done to that country in a mere 30 odd years. Everything just keeps going backwards and a repressed global economy simply exasperates an already dismal situation.

If the int community kept their grubby little paws off the region, we would have worked out our differences and over time would have been able to pass over the reigns to the new generations. I should have been an elder type person in the country having trained many but was denied that opportunity. The new kids on the block appear successful as they all have beamers and cell phones and whatnot but in reality have ZERO skills to perform the jobs they are appointed to. Kinda like putting lipstick on a pig or polishing a turd.

But I guess in your reality, it is all the white man's fault?

Guess which group has managed to adapt and survive this new regime?

Why is that?

It cannot simply be education as many have had equal opportunities in that regard for many many years. Oddly enough, they prefer attending the traditional white schools as that is where white teachers are still in the majority.

Why is that?

The situation is far more complex than simple racial divides. It does seem in the USA, the situation is similar.

BTW, I am pretty liberal in my outlook on life so no need to pigeon hole me with RWNJs. I really wish things were different but they are not.
Word was many successful BLACK farmers and workers followed the whites out of Zim too with Mugabe being in charge.

Old 06-16-2013, 09:49 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,181,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Talk and act the fool: get treated like a fool. Even educated Black people usually look DOWN on "ebonics" because of ITS real bad rep. Sheesh!

The Vice Chancellor of Germany: he was adopted as a baby; raised "German" and he ain't even "white" but seems to have done well in life. He don't know who his bio parents were.
That's because a number of them have disdain for their own heritage and culture. Why does "ebonics" have such a bad reputation? Just wondering? Why isn't treated like another dialect? Sort of like how White Americans would mock African-Americans for eating things like fried chicken, watermelon and general soul food. Why? Every culture has foods that more common to them. So what is the problem again? Maybe you can explain it to me because I don't understand such things. It's very ignorant to me.

Did you really just say the Vice Chancellor of Germany? One would think that anyone brought into such a situation would do better than the rest. Come on...do better than that.

Old 06-16-2013, 09:56 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,912,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribdoll View Post
That's because a number of them have disdain for their own heritage and culture. Why does "ebonics" have such a bad reputation? Just wondering? Why isn't treated like another dialect? Sort of like how White Americans would mock African-Americans for eating things like fried chicken, watermelon and general soul food. Why? Every culture has foods that more common to them. So what is the problem again? Maybe you can explain it to me because I don't understand such things. It's very ignorant to me.

Did you really just say the Vice Chancellor of Germany? One would think that anyone brought into such a situation would do better than the rest. Come on...do better than that.
"Ebonics" sounds hood rat and the LAST thing that "git er done" Black people need is the fools trying to drag them back into the crab pot of ghetto life. Call it racist but it's the truth.

Old 06-16-2013, 10:01 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,570,903 times
Look, one can diddle around with who started what first all day long, the fact is that Apartheid and it's repurcussions in both Zimbabwe and South Africa resulted in multiple generations who were displaced from their homes, placed at a devastating economic disadvantage, had no voting powers, and were treated as second class citizens or worse. Who is to say what the "normal"reaction would be post-independence, and how long that should take?

Is there corruption in the present governments, yes. But there is massive blame to share all the way around.

Old 06-16-2013, 10:04 AM

4,050 posts, read 3,961,201 times
SeekerSA'
Please cut the "poor me" crap. Regardless of the feelings of S.A.'s whites the writing was on the wall, if they wanted to continue their positions of unearned privilege, they would have to include Black People into the power structure. They chose not to do that and now are reaping the consequences of their choices. You act as if S.A. was populated by a population where every single White person was some sort of contributing member of society. The reality was that S.A. guaranteed every white person a job or government sustenance. Now that that system no longer allows this artificial elevation of white, we see this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?featuht...&v=_O2pZrTF-wI
or
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFj0H...yer_detailpage

No society has ever been successful when you subjugate one population in favor of another. If the Black people refuse to include white S.A.s then it will also fail by allowing a system of discrimination against White people.

However you get on here pining for the old ways, get no sympathy from me.

Last edited by reconmark; 06-16-2013 at 10:12 AM..

Old 06-16-2013, 10:08 AM

5,563 posts, read 7,216,945 times
What I forgot to mention to Desert was that despite the ills as you see them in SA, the obvious question is why after 57 years is Ghana still in the same boat it was when they gained independence? Zim has had 32 years and SA 19 years and ALL of them are going backward, not forward. It is obvious by looking at the whole continent, time is not a healer of issues nor does it seem to make one iota of difference.

Ultimately, the big wigs in the UK and USA found it more pertinent to elevate puppet governments, pay off a few black folk and reap resources to their content w/o the pesky white entrepreneurship standing in their way and declaring their own independence which is what happened in Rhodesia.

In all cases of Africa, there existed a dichotomy of the haves and have nots and this was primarily on racial lines. When the blacks took over, they simply adopted the Westminster form of governance and the colour of the fat cat changed from white to black. The poor sods on the lower end of the scale reaped ZERO benefits of their new found freedom. This has played out time and again in Africa s they attained independence.

What also has happened in Africa, as the independence moved south, so too did migrants seeking better opportunities. We have blacks here in SA with GEC A levels (equivalent to 1st year university) working as simple labourers as back home there are no opportunities. Opportunities are scarce here too.

SA's population exploded from 47M in 94 to 70M+ today. 3M+ black Zimbabweans work/live here in SA. We have folk from as far north as Somalia.

Where ever the white man was the longest in control, that is where they migrated to. First you had the whites leave b/c of reverse racist doctrines and later the blacks left too. Why is that?

As my generation dies off, things are just gonna get progressively worse. Both my kids want to leave Africa and start afresh in AUS or Canada. Why? There is no future for them here and their future offspring. The residual legacy of the whites only lasts about 15 - 20 years and then it all goes down the crapper. We are at year 19.

Old 06-16-2013, 10:19 AM

5,563 posts, read 7,216,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reconmark View Post
SeekerSA'
Please cut the "poor me" crap. Regardless of the feelings of S.A.'s whites the writing was on the wall, if they wanted to continue their positions of unearned privilege, they would have to include Black People into the power structure. They chose not to do that and now are reaping the consequences of their choices. You act as if S.A. was populated by a population where every single White person was some sort of contributing member of society. The reality was that S.A. guaranteed every white person a job or government sustenance. Now that that system no longer allows this artificial elevation of white, we see this:
Where do you get the idea of poor me? I have no debt, I have a house and two cars paid for and am immune to the system. You seem to think that only whites were employed. No, their have always been blacks employed and paid good salaries. This is why they migrated to come work in the gold mines. Guess what, they still do. Whites did not ascend the ladder simply b/c they were white. You had to earn your way up. What we see today is incompetence and that in itself seems to be a positive thing. I really would have no objection if AA and BEE actually made positive contributions to society, but how much time do we need to give them to become competent?

They are just consumers and add ZERO value to the development of society.

Really - show me one success story in Africa as a nation (Sub Saharan) and I will listen to what you have to say. I have lived here my whole life, I know what I am talking about. I have not just lived in SA.

Old 06-16-2013, 10:27 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,181,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
"Ebonics" sounds hood rat and the LAST thing that "git er done" Black people need is the fools trying to drag them back into the crab pot of ghetto life. Call it racist but it's the truth.
In other words, you refuse to provide an intelligent response. I am speaking from an international perspective having heard dialects from different places all of my life. Before I would call it racist, it's just very ignorant and unexposed...which unfortunately is quite typical of many White Americans when it comes to other cultures.

One more time...maybe you will attempt a sensible response. Why does "ebonics" or rather AAVE have such a bad reputation? Just wondering? Why isn't treated like any other dialect?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies