Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 01:48 PM

2,260 posts, read 3,883,659 times

Advertisements

So its now its OK for Mexicans to come in and do framing, plumbing, Mason and electrical work for $10 an hour and displace the trained and professional American construction workers who do things above table, up to code and by the books. There are difinately some ignorant folk in this discussion Jannean isnt one of them however
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2008, 01:51 PM

3,255 posts, read 5,083,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
No offense but your ignorance is overwhelming! Heres how it works in the real world, For years you have only 2 companys providing a service in the greater seatlle area both union, the service they provide is scarce and expensive! Well all of a sudden non-union companies in other states and in Canada realize that they can actually come over here on a weekly (some a daily basis) and provide the service for much less, even though they are not located right there, and get a big piece of the business. Well now those using the service have more option's,better service, and less cost. Guess who is not in business anymore and is not providing jobs for that negotiated resource! Yep, the 2 union companies! THAT my dear is how capitalism works!
Exactly, the business was unable to negotiate a effectively and it went out of business. I think that the idea that you are "providing" jobs is where the problem is. If you need workers, you negotiate for them. The father figure "benevolent" employer routine is not working with me, sorry.

Old 07-06-2008, 01:55 PM

No doubt

Quote:
Originally Posted by janeannwho View Post
Exactly, the business was unable to negotiate a effectively and it went out of business. I think that the idea that you are "providing" jobs is where the problem is. If you need workers, you negotiate for them. The father figure "benevolent" employer routine is not working with me, sorry.

Old 07-06-2008, 01:57 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,478,303 times
it is often the case and sadly to say, somebody that has clawed their way out of the pit and has a good life, has no remorse at all of kicking others into the pit if it will keep them from ever going back in it.
very much like gone with the wind when scarlett uses her former confederate soldiers to do slave/prison labor to grind her corn.
how many good christians do i know that in their church, lodge and place of employment (including government) subcontract knowing full well the uniformed men weeding their garden and cleaning their toilets are in fact illegal alliens who have replaced the original green card people after 60 days of contract.

Old 07-06-2008, 01:57 PM

3,255 posts, read 5,083,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan61 View Post
So its now its OK for Mexicans to come in and do framing, plumbing, Mason and electrical work for $10 an hour and displace the trained and professional American construction workers who do things above table, up to code and by the books. There are difinately some ignorant folk in this discussion Jannean isnt one of them however
Well Bryan, don't forget that Silas knows of an union individual in his state that sabotaged a government paid for dam and destroyed a business, but has never alerted the authorities. So I am not sure why he would care that non qualified workers came into his state for work at below market wages.

I actually blame the union leadership in that town for not working hard enough to recruit the non union workers.

Old 07-06-2008, 02:01 PM

9,892 posts, read 10,833,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janeannwho View Post
Wow! Yeah so how does it benefit workers when they are put out of a job as a direct result from being union! I will tell you what. I will agree that a person can and should negotiate for the best deal he can get from an employer, AS AN INDIVIDUAL, that has nothing to do with unions, I will also agree that, depending on the area and the economy, the idea of "providing" jobs can be the other way around. we have a saying around here, in this booming economy it is (hard to find bad help these day's). When everyone is working, they dont need to be provided a job but when things are slow? again has nothing to do with unions!

Last edited by silas777; 07-06-2008 at 02:12 PM..

Old 07-06-2008, 02:01 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,478,303 times
Quote:
beautiful post just beautiful. when i get rep dots again you get some.

Old 07-06-2008, 02:05 PM

I gotta figure out this rep points thing?

Old 07-06-2008, 02:07 PM

Who said they were out of a job, when negotiaitions fell through.Maybe they went to work for you where there are no negotiations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
Wow! Yeah so how does it benefit workers when they are put out of a job as a direct result from being union!

Old 07-06-2008, 02:30 PM

9,892 posts, read 10,833,483 times
Quote:
Who said they were out of a job, when negotiaitions fell through.Maybe they went to work for you where there are no negotiations.
Your post makes no sense, go back and read what I was responding to.
Another Union story: I worked for a Union outfit, that did specialized construction all over the country. I was not union, because I did not want to be and I did not do the actual work the company did. My job was buying repairing, building and maintaining the equipment. We had bought a new $250,000.00 piece of specialized equipment, had it delivered to a job site in FL. I would go down to get it set up and do start up. We moved it from FL to a Philadelphia job site. Union there being very strong and unwavering. I was scheduled to go to the job site to do some work on this piece of equipment, (which the guy's lives depended on daily), well word got out amongst the local union hands that the company was bringing in their own Mechanic to work on this piece of equipment, they sent the business agent out and said you cant, you have to hire out of the local hall , the boss said, **** up a rope, this is a specialized piece of equipment , not going to get some joe out of the hall that knows nothing about it. Long story short they threatened to shut the job down costing everyone alot of money unless they did. I ended up going back, but had to pretend that I was actually from the manufacture of the machine and doing warranty work! Just lookin out for the working man!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies