Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 01:14 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,774,755 times

Advertisements

This of course is one of the conservatives favourite targets of attack- the American labour movement. And I must say they have done a good job of destroying it. I feel fortunate to be a UNION employee but to those who hate the unions, I wonder how this now dead man and his destitute and bankrupt family feel about unions. After all, just relax and the boss will watch out for you, right? And if the boss won't watch out for you then the law will watch out for you, right?

Employers use federal law to deny benefits - Yahoo! News (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2008, 01:25 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,114,885 times
The destruction of the unions has led to the destruction of the middle class in this country. I don't know how long it is going to take for people to figure this out.

Old 07-05-2008, 01:43 PM

20,349 posts, read 19,941,445 times
I'd say there's plenty of blame to be spread around and you could start with the unions (particularly their leaders) themselves.

My dad ended up with no pension whatsoever because of the fund being looted by rather unsavory types that proved to be no "friends o' the workin' man".

Old 07-05-2008, 01:57 PM

26,223 posts, read 49,072,443 times
Pension funds were looted by all sorts of low-lifes, from unsavory union bosses to corporate raiders, mostly the latter, especially in the 1980's during Reagan/Bush. The wealthy won't be happy until they have ALL the pension money and all the Social Security money to themselves and until all working people are ground into the dirt. See George Carlin on YouTube about Who Owns America.

The unions were sorely needed to bring safety and dignity to the workforce when robber barons and corporate greed ran amuck, and many long hard battles were fought but it finally came about. Both labor and management got fat in the 1950's and 1960's, but those days are gone now for both sides. IMO, unions are needed as much as ever to provide a balance to corporate power and greed, to make sure that the working stiff can at least have a living wage and a few benefits.

Once we get a Democrat in the white house, I hope to see federal emphasis on apprentice programs for skilled trades to rebuild the our workforce, we shouldn't have to rely on unskilled illegal immigrants as the workforce for our building, food and factory trades.

Old 07-05-2008, 02:00 PM

9,891 posts, read 10,829,278 times
Well as we know if we look hard enough we can always find one or two sob stories to reinforce our political view on just about any issue, however that doesnt, nescessarilly prove our point! Unions in general are dying because they have generally become worthless, because of the lack of need , people grew to understand what they are really about (MONEY,POWER & POLITICS).They are usefull in lining the pockets of a powerful few at the top while providing welfare to the rank and file, all at the expense of the majority of Americans! As the old saying goes you can fool some of the people some of the time but you cant fool all of the people all of the time! In the real working mans world union has become synonomous with lazy, slacker, poor quality and expensive! The unions are growing in government sector jobs, which only strengthens the incestous relationship between the unions and the big government Democrat party!

Old 07-05-2008, 02:29 PM

9,891 posts, read 10,829,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
It would be perfect if workers in every company would learn and read on their own and be able to navigate without a union but that's not a practical idea.
I really dont even know what this means!
learn and read on their own? navigate? If a person doesnt know how to learn and read they dont need a union! they need a education!

Old 07-05-2008, 02:35 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,958,517 times
I always saw unions in this way. The people realized that if they banded together, they could stop injustice and unfairness. Then, after they succeeded in doing so, they found out that this power was useful for personal gain.

So, while I see the "good" of a union, a union is only as good as its members and those members combined with the power of the union can be just as unjust as the company to which they claim to protect themselves from.

Old 07-05-2008, 02:37 PM

2,265 posts, read 3,734,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
But it's important workers be protected, have the legal right to organize and to collectively bargain. How do you propose that be accomplished? It would be perfect if workers in every company would learn and read on their own and be able to navigate without a union but that's not a practical idea.
Unions, what a joke. All they do is drive jobs out of the country. Unions are a business and take others for ride that don't know any better. Union leaders make millions a year. But you never hear liberals complain about unions and union leaders. What a bunch of naive hypocrites. When I worked in manufacturing UAW got voted into one of the plants. They ended up with less money, less benefits and regret the decision every day. Unions are parasites, it's sad people are so scared to make there own decisions.

Old 07-05-2008, 02:40 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,172,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
I really dont even know what this means!
learn and read on their own? navigate? If a person doesnt know how to learn and read they dont need a union! they need a education!
In the immortal words of Laura Petrie, "If you don't know, I'm certainly not going to tell you."

Seriously, never mind.

Old 07-05-2008, 02:43 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,172,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
I always saw unions in this way. The people realized that if they banded together, they could stop injustice and unfairness. Then, after they succeeded in doing so, they found out that this power was useful for personal gain.

So, while I see the "good" of a union, a union is only as good as its members and those members combined with the power of the union can be just as unjust as the company to which they claim to protect themselves from.
Workers can protect themselves with (what remains of) the labor laws, without having to sign with a union. But it's treacherous to try to stand firm and together against a company which will always have greater resources, union-busting resources, than the workers can scrounge up for themselves on their own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies