Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 04:45 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,772,368 times

Advertisements

It is amazing that we have licensed professional pharmacist that think that their personal religious beliefs are more important than a doctor's prescription! It is my belief that ANY pharmacist that decides he cannot fill a legal prescription should find another line of work. In fact he should lose his license and the drug store should be subjected to a civil lawsuit. A few million dollar damage verdicts should put a stop to this non sense fast. Follow this logic closely:

"The United States was founded on the idea that people act on their conscience -- that they have a sense of right and wrong and do what they think is right and moral," said Tom Brejcha, president and chief counsel at the Thomas More Society, a Chicago public-interest law firm that is defending a pharmacist who was fined and reprimanded for refusing to fill prescriptions for birth control pills. "Every pharmacist has the right to do the same thing," Brejcha said.

Now using that SAME religious nutcase logic, apply it here:

A storm knocks down a powerline which feeds an adult bookstore. The lineman says "as a Christian I cannot restore service here. Sorry."

A Muslim calls 911 because her husband has a heart attack. The EMT arrives and says "I am sorry but I cannot help or transport your husband because I am a Christian and Muslims don't believe in Jesus".

A Catholic daycare centre loses phone service. The telephone man shows up and says "mam, I am sorry but because this is a Catholic centre and I am a strict Christian, I cannot fix the phones here"

A Jewish Synagogue catches on fire and the firemen refuse to answer the alarm because they are Chirstians and think that the Jews killed Jesus.

Do you folks see why RELIGION does not belong in the workplace?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...061502180.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2008, 05:00 PM

1,482 posts, read 2,385,515 times
Amen to that brother. You've put it in a manner that not even the Pope, the Ayathola nor all the Kings men could argue.

Old 07-07-2008, 05:02 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,357,057 times
There are nut cases every where religious or not, each person is an individual and thinks for themselves, their actions cannot dictate what we think of others unless we wished to be labeled a Bigot.

Old 07-07-2008, 05:17 PM

1,385 posts, read 3,007,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
It is amazing that we have licensed professional pharmacist that think that their personal religious beliefs are more important than a doctor's prescription! It is my belief that ANY pharmacist that decides he cannot fill a legal prescription should find another line of work. In fact he should lose his license and the drug store should be subjected to a civil lawsuit. A few million dollar damage verdicts should put a stop to this non sense fast. Follow this logic closely:

"The United States was founded on the idea that people act on their conscience -- that they have a sense of right and wrong and do what they think is right and moral," said Tom Brejcha, president and chief counsel at the Thomas More Society, a Chicago public-interest law firm that is defending a pharmacist who was fined and reprimanded for refusing to fill prescriptions for birth control pills. "Every pharmacist has the right to do the same thing," Brejcha said.

Now using that SAME religious nutcase logic, apply it here:

A storm knocks down a powerline which feeds an adult bookstore. The lineman says "as a Christian I cannot restore service here. Sorry."

A Muslim calls 911 because her husband has a heart attack. The EMT arrives and says "I am sorry but I cannot help or transport your husband because I am a Christian and Muslims don't believe in Jesus".

A Catholic daycare centre loses phone service. The telephone man shows up and says "mam, I am sorry but because this is a Catholic centre and I am a strict Christian, I cannot fix the phones here"

A Jewish Synagogue catches on fire and the firemen refuse to answer the alarm because they are Chirstians and think that the Jews killed Jesus.

Do you folks see why RELIGION does not belong in the workplace?

'Pro-Life' Drugstores Market Beliefs - washingtonpost.com
Tom Lennox 70, are you hearing this?

Old 07-07-2008, 05:31 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,114,142 times
We have freedom OF religion in this country and the government does NOT have the right to impose on the relgious beliefs of its citizens. To equate the refusal of a pharmacist to sell the morning after pills to Christians allowing people to die because they are of a different faith is not worthy of you Kev. Christians have been saving lives for generations without caring about the faith of the individuals they save. It is when they perceive that they are being asked to take a life that they refuse. You many not agree with their belief....so don't join their church. But don't try to destroy the constitution further by imposing on the freedom of religion promised in it.

Old 07-07-2008, 05:44 PM

106 posts, read 307,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
We have freedom OF religion in this country and the government does NOT have the right to impose on the relgious beliefs of its citizens. To equate the refusal of a pharmacist to sell the morning after pills to Christians allowing people to die because they are of a different faith is not worthy of you Kev. Christians have been saving lives for generations without caring about the faith of the individuals they save. It is when they perceive that they are being asked to take a life that they refuse. You many not agree with their belief....so don't join their church. But don't try to destroy the constitution further by imposing on the freedom of religion promised in it.
He's also not selling condoms or regular birth control pills. None of those methods (including Plan B) involves taking a life it involves preventing pregnancy and in the case of condoms, preventing the spread of STDs.

Old 07-07-2008, 05:47 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,886,289 times
I say go to another pharmacy;no big deal.

Old 07-07-2008, 05:47 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,772,368 times
Quote:
I am sorry but freedom of religion applies to the government not restricting a person's religious beliefs or establishing an official state religion. It does not apply to professionals in private workplaces who are licensed by the state. If the phamacist wishes to wear a cross and a "Jesus Saves" shirt at work, he is free to do so. If he wants to put a Bible tract in the sack with the prescription, I can probably go along with that- although if I want to hear a sermon, I'd rather hear it in church and not a pharmacy. But when he refuses to do his profesional duty, that I have a problem with. That is not his place. When a medical doctor writes a prescription, it is his job to fill it period.

Old 07-07-2008, 05:49 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,643,191 times
One thing to remember, freedom of religion swings both ways --- while Falwell cannot make everyone christian, the state cannot make everyone secular. Do I agree with the pharmacist in question? No. But I don't agree with making private businesses conform to standards that go against the owners personal beliefs.
To use a better example of the emt -- a muslim emt refuses to treat a female because it is against his religion to touch a woman not his wife or relative. He is in the wrong business, and should not have been hired to begin with. Plus, he is dealing with life and death situations where finding another emt may end up costing his patient her life.
Not so with a pharmacist. Private business, he can pick what he stocks his shelves with. If you don't like it, go to a different pharmacy. Now that is freedom, and we should all uphold this guys right ---- so that one day your rights aren't taken away because someone views them as to extreme.

Old 07-07-2008, 05:50 PM

95 posts, read 60,040 times
Quote:
Kev was absolutely correct in his analysis. Pay close attention to the overriding theme in his post, and in the examples that he gives. It's clear that religion is dangerous and leads to discrimination if taken to an extreme, as in this case with the radical and rebellious pharmacist.

If it so happens that you allow your religion to get in the way of objectively performing your job, you need to find another job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies