Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 11:42 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
Those of you who say this is a joke and use comparisons to other countries are fools. It's like dismissing someone's complaint that they've lost an arm because, hey Joe over there lost both of his! We expect the right of free speech here in America and in the last eight years in particular we've seen our right to protest diminished. I guess because you didn't agree with the lady's sign that means you can dismiss this as a minor infraction, but I can't. I don't care that other people in foreign lands don't have the right to speak up. It's very sad but it's not my problem to solve, it's theirs. In my country, I have a right to oppose anything at whatever volume I choose. It is not a partisan issue, but with one party ruling the top, all protests of late have been anti-Republican meaning that most recent examples of blatant censorship would be coming from that side of the political spectrum.

If you dismiss this as a joke, what other rights are you going to allow to slip away from you or your fellow countrymen? Forget comparisons to other countries. What happens in America, happens to YOU too.

All protext are because the left wants to promote only there politically correct speech. Just as they have done in so manyother countries. nader talked about why he left the democratic party on PBS. He said it was because the democrats refused to let consumer groups they didn't agree with to testify before congress anymore by thier control.Just a extension of their political correctness ways it seems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2008, 12:40 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,886,517 times
If they want to take away my freedoms of speech and I’m willing to allow that, then they may as well take away my freedoms to own and have guns ~ they can take those too.

So why is the left wanting speech rights and hold them dear and those on the right won’t allow any wiggle room on their gun rights? Maybe because the left will talk first and the right will shoot first. However both sides don’t want anyone to touch those rights!

And best of all both sides need those rights kept in place and without change.

It’s a good thing that the little old lady had only a piece of cardboard for a sign and not a handgun in her purse! Scary very scary!

Old 07-09-2008, 01:55 PM

307 posts, read 522,091 times
The Secret Service asked that she not carry the sign and according to the article "A McCain spokesman said no one, including McCain supporters, were allowed to carry signs."

So she was given the exact same level of freedom to express herself as all the other people who attended. Where’s the beef?

To top it off it was an event that had rented the space. They have every right to exclude who ever they want. However the protester was fully within their rights to rent the space the following week and hold an anti McCain rally. Likewise they can gather outside on the PUBLIC sidewalk and protest.

"Jenny Schiavone, a spokeswoman for the performing arts center, said the venue is city-owned rental property, but is not legally defined as public property"

Consider this, If a GLBT group rented a property to hold a "gay rights" discussion and Extremist Christians came in with signs saying "Gay=Aids" would you think it wrong if the police asked them to leave?

Protester outside McCain event ticketed - The Denver Post

Random

Old 07-09-2008, 02:12 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,139,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
No rights have slipped yet that I know of.
You aren't paying attention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Some peoples' paranoia glands, howver, appear to be overactive. Maybe a cold shower while wearing a Che tee shirt will help.
Without suspicion, all evil is possible. That you choose to ignore that possibility makes all of us less safe. And enough with the constant read-between-the-lines insults!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies