Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 07:30 AM

13,608 posts, read 21,396,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatis View Post
Never said it was

Never said that either

I never said that all racists are republicans. I can tell you for a fact thought that from living in a red state most of the racist speak that you hear comes from the local flag-waving, truck driving, bush cheney bumper sticker republicans. Racism isn't some line that is within the borders of one party or another and I understand that. I deliberately noted that republican values do not breed racism.

What do you mean by limiting and fooling themselves?
I mean they are limiting themselves by being beholden to the Democratic party thinking it is the party of racial tolerance exclusively.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2008, 07:39 AM

78,420 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
I mean they are limiting themselves by being beholden to the Democratic party thinking it is the party of racial tolerance.
I take it a step further. Let's assume that Democrats are more racially tolerant. I don't care who you are, if the politician KNOWS you are going to vote for them they aren't going to support you with political capital.

Basically, I think that the democratic party does a lot less for the black community than it promises (or should) because they know they won't cross party lines. There are a number of other (smaller) groups that seem to have more influence but that's because they will cross party lines.

Old 07-17-2008, 08:00 AM

5,407 posts, read 7,795,499 times
I know for many Hispanics a tipping point came when the AM right wing radio listeners all got up in arms and killed the comprehensive immigration reform bill going through congress. Most Democrats, and most Americans, were fine with the bipartisan bill. But a loud frenzied minority (The "Throw them all out and build a really big Wall") crowd forced the status quo. There was a lot of ugly anti-Hispanic talk that came out during that period, a lot of underlying racism expressed. This did not go unnoticed. Also a lot of hard working legal Hispanics are just sick and tired of being lumped in with illegals every time the word "Hispanic" is uttered.

It is ironic that the killing of that reform bill could now come back to bite that same frenzied crowd in the rear as we head into the election.

Old 07-17-2008, 09:57 AM

2,008 posts, read 3,327,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
I mean they are limiting themselves by being beholden to the Democratic party thinking it is the party of racial tolerance exclusively.
I can agree with that. I don't think either party spreads racism. I think those who are racist just so happen to be ______________ <- insert party here.

That's what I was trying to say from the get go.

Old 07-17-2008, 09:58 AM

78,420 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
I know for many Hispanics a tipping point came when the AM right wing radio listeners all got up in arms and killed the comprehensive immigration reform bill going through congress. Most Democrats, and most Americans, were fine with the bipartisan bill. But a loud frenzied minority (The "Throw them all out and build a really big Wall") crowd forced the status quo. There was a lot of ugly anti-Hispanic talk that came out during that period, a lot of underlying racism expressed. This did not go unnoticed. Also a lot of hard working legal Hispanics are just sick and tired of being lumped in with illegals every time the word "Hispanic" is uttered.

It is ironic that the killing of that reform bill could now come back to bite that same frenzied crowd in the rear as we head into the election.
Yeah, Hispanics are swing voters not aligned to a specific party....its funny to watch the pandering.

FYI- Bush carried an enormous margin in Florida in the Hispanic community when he beat gore by the tiniest of margins. Pretty much the Elian Gonzalez debacle cost Gore the presidency....rather interesting.

Old 07-17-2008, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Yeah, Hispanics are swing voters not aligned to a specific party....its funny to watch the pandering.

FYI- Bush carried an enormous margin in Florida in the Hispanic community when he beat gore by the tiniest of margins. Pretty much the Elian Gonzalez debacle cost Gore the presidency....rather interesting.
True. But now there is a shift in the Hispanic community in Florida. There are more registered Democrats than Republicans, due in part to a large influx of PuertoRican Democratic voters.

I agree it will be very interesting.

Old 07-17-2008, 10:06 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,334,415 times
"Comprehensive Immigration Reform"? Please. Absorbing ten to twelve million illegals every 15 years reforms nothing. It is simply wholesale national metamorphosis, with our eyes firmly closed to the consequences -- all in the interest of creating a new voting bloc for the Democrat party, while denying other groups the opportunity to immigrate legally.

Old 07-17-2008, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
"Comprehensive Immigration Reform"? Please. Absorbing ten to twelve million illegals every 15 years reforms nothing. It is simply wholesale national metamorphosis, with our eyes firmly closed to the consequences -- all in the interest of creating a new voting bloc for the Democrat party, while denying other groups the opportunity to immigrate legally.
And you will get plenty of fans up in the immigration forum to clap along with you. However most Americans understand that in reality we cannot just uproot and export 15-20 million people. Absorbing the ones that have been here and are demonstrated positive contributors to our society in conjunction with stricter borders is the only realistic and compassionate solution. (And also as it relates to the old "bottom line" - See what Texas Employers have to say about the topic.

http://www.txeir.org/

Throwing one's hands up and crying don't accomplish much of anything, except to promote the status quo.

(As an interesting fyi - since we have tightened the border over the past several years, illegal immigration numbers in the U.S. have risen. Before there was a seasonal migration, now when they get here they stay for good.)

Old 07-17-2008, 10:29 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,334,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
And you will get plenty of fans up in the immigration forum to clap along with you.
Which means nothing to me.

Quote:
However most Americans understand that in reality we cannot just uproot and export 15-20 million people.
I never said that we should.

Quote:
Absorbing the ones that have been here and are demonstrated positive contributors to our society in conjunction with stricter borders is the only realistic and compassionate solution.
How wolud you propose to separate that group from those who are not demosntrated positive contributors to our society? Would we be lacking in compassion by deporting drug dealers, criminals, and the insane, for example?

Quote:
Throwing one's hands up and crying don't accomplish much of anything, except to promote the status quo.
I agree. So why are you proposing it?

Quote:
(As an interesting fyi - since we have tightened the border over the past several years, illegal immigration numbers in the U.S. have risen. Before there was a seasonal migration, now when they get here they stay for good.)
Hmm. You mentioned instituting "stricter borders" just above. Are you in favor of increased illegal immigration, then, since you argue that the tightened border increases it?

Old 07-17-2008, 10:41 AM

Yes, a very difficult and complex issue. Certainly no simple solutions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies