Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 10:42 AM

351 posts, read 336,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
I know for many Hispanics a tipping point came when the AM right wing radio listeners all got up in arms and killed the comprehensive immigration reform bill going through congress. Most Democrats, and most Americans, were fine with the bipartisan bill. But a loud frenzied minority (The "Throw them all out and build a really big Wall") crowd forced the status quo. There was a lot of ugly anti-Hispanic talk that came out during that period, a lot of underlying racism expressed. This did not go unnoticed. Also a lot of hard working legal Hispanics are just sick and tired of being lumped in with illegals every time the word "Hispanic" is uttered.

It is ironic that the killing of that reform bill could now come back to bite that same frenzied crowd in the rear as we head into the election.
This has to be one of the most uniformed post I've read. Do you live in a bubble? "Most Americans were fine with the bipartisan bill" which was the Amnesty Bill. WHAT!?! No we were not. The Amnesty Bill controversy shut down the phone and internet lines to the White House not once but twice, and not just for an hour or two but for 24-36 hours each time. A system is built to take roughly 15% of the population in calls at any given time for a system to "crash" it has to have over 100% of the population on calls at singular point of time. Well over 700,000 Americans at the same time were calling their elected officials in Washington D.C. over and over again throughout the day for two days during two crashes not just one. Those calls were going to D.C. there were other calls going to the state office of officials supporting the bills as well. Eighteen senators changed their vote and killed the Amnesty Bill.
Not since the impeachment of President Bill Clinton, several Senate aides said, have the lines been so jammed by a single issue. Senator John W. Warner, Republican of Virginia, said he had never seen an issue stir such a public response. “In my 29 years, I’ve experienced all the events in that period of time,” he said, “but this is clearly the high-water mark.”
Freshman Senator Jon Tester (D-MT) noted that the calls from his constituents against the bill were a "clearer signal than we get on the war in Iraq." They were calling in by the thousands on their own motion, expressing their own feelings. It was very unusual and really unprecedented, and the sergeant at arms(in Kentucky) said the whole system had to be shut down for a while said Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell.
TheHill.com - ‘Modest increase’ in calls crashes Senate phones
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/28/wa...WQ&oref=slogin

Last edited by hal512; 07-17-2008 at 10:54 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2008, 11:01 AM

5,407 posts, read 7,795,499 times
[quote=hal512;4493484][font=Georgia][font=Georgia][color=black][font=Verdana]This has to be one of the most uniformed post I've read. Do you live in a bubble? "Most Americans were fine with the bipartisan bill" which was the Amnesty Bill. WHAT!?! No we were not. The Amnesty Bill controversy shut down the phone and internet lines to the White House not once but twice, and not just for an hour or two but for 24-36 hours each time. I don't know what you know about phone systems but my husband builds fiber optic rings for the big companies. [quote]

There are certainly a lot of right wing fringe loonies out there in the woodwork, no argument there. Don't get too impressed with yourselves though. Just because you can dial a telephone hundreds of times in a row does not mean much.

Interesting that even a majority of Republicans favor aspects of comprehensive reform.

The loud mouthed fringe are the ones responsible for turning Hispanics away from the Republican Party in this election.

Sixty-two percent of Americans say illegal immigrants who have lived and worked in the U.S. for at least two years should be given a chance to keep their jobs and apply for legal status. Just 33% think such people should be deported.

This approach is supported by majorities of both Democrats (66%) and Republicans (61%).

Two-thirds (67%) also support a more specific proposal to offer illegal immigrants a visa, contingent on meeting certain requirements.

Sixty-seven percent favor allowing illegal immigrants to apply for a four-year visa that could be renewed, as long as they pay a fine, have a good work record and pass a criminal background check; 28% oppose this. Again, support runs across party lines; 66% of Republicans and 72% of Democrats favor it

CBS Poll: Most Support Immigration Reform, Key Provisions Of Reform Bill Receive Wide Support From Both Republicans And Democrats - CBS News

Old 07-17-2008, 11:02 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,334,415 times
Quote:
Yes, a very difficult and complex issue. Certainly no simple solutions.
Even when they are called "Comprehensive Reform."

Old 07-17-2008, 11:12 AM

5,408 posts, read 12,666,667 times
becaus republicans are "white" and white people are racist.

at least according to a poll here on C-D that asks if people "act" a certain "color", like acting white or black.

so yes, republicans are racist... because they are white... and white people act racist.
didnt you know this

Old 07-17-2008, 11:14 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,334,415 times
Quote:
[Sixty-seven percent favor allowing illegal immigrants to apply for a four-year visa that could be renewed, as long as they pay a fine, have a good work record and pass a criminal background check; 28% oppose this. Again, support runs across party lines; 66% of Republicans and 72% of Democrats favor it[/i]
"Hey, Jose. Where you going man?"

"Hey, Paco. I gotta go to the government office and apply for a visa. It means I miss work for a few days and have to skip my kid's birthday, but whatever. Say -- do you have a couple of thousand bucks I could borrow to pay my fine?"

"No problem. Here you go. What are you doing tomorrow?"

"Wow, I need to gather all of my employment records -- good thing I have Xerox copies of everything for the last eight years, right? I take them to the state capital and schedule an interview. Then I fill out some forms, get them stamped, and wait for approval. I'll need to find a motel room and scare up some food money."

"And next week? Maybe we can go to the ball game"

"Oh, no, I have to submit to a criminal check at the state patrol, and then visit the FBI office."

"Cool. Sounds like fun. Can you do it twice?"

"No, only once. I have to admit, though, that I'm looking forward to the whole deal. I mean, the reason I crossed the border illegally and worked and got paid under the table and avoided the government since 1998 was so I could go to these offices, and pay this money, and answer these questions and meet the police and the FBI and get a visa. Why else would I come here?"

"Yeah. I can't wait to do it myself. Good thing it's not costing anybody anything or requiring a massive expansion of the federal bureaucracy."

"Right on. This is way less expensive and complicated for America than securing the border. Plus we get to vote."

"Yeah! But only for Democrats, remember?"

"Right. Viva la Raza, baby."

Old 07-17-2008, 11:28 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,870,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ew3074 View Post
I am Asian, and I consider myself liberal for various reasons. But how come some people accuse republicans like that? I had lived in Sacramento area for a couple of years. The county I lived is a republican stronghold, but people were nice to me and I did not feel I was treated differently. Any ideas?
Two reasons:

1) Partisan bulls--t that equates anything not PC with racism.

2) The Republican Party does have and has had many prominent racists in the past. At one point the Democrats were the party for racists because Democrats in the South supported and enacted Segregation and the Jim Crow laws. This went on for quite a while and when the party started to opt for a more tolerant and anti-racist stance, many Southern Democrats left the party and joined the Republicans (which were starting to preach a law and order stance).

Old 07-17-2008, 11:52 AM

Quote:
There are certainly a lot of right wing fringe loonies out there in the woodwork, no argument there. Don't get too impressed with yourselves though. Just because you can dial a telephone hundreds of times in a row does not mean much.
Interesting that even a majority of Republicans favor aspects of comprehensive reform.
The loud mouthed fringe are the ones responsible for turning Hispanics away from the Republican Party in this election.
Sixty-two percent of Americans say illegal immigrants who have lived and worked in the U.S. for at least two years should be given a chance to keep their jobs and apply for legal status. Just 33% think such people should be deported.
This approach is supported by majorities of both Democrats (66%) and Republicans (61%).
Two-thirds (67%) also support a more specific proposal to offer illegal immigrants a visa, contingent on meeting certain requirements.
Sixty-seven percent favor allowing illegal immigrants to apply for a four-year visa that could be renewed, as long as they pay a fine, have a good work record and pass a criminal background check; 28% oppose this. Again, support runs across party lines; 66% of Republicans and 72% of Democrats favor it
CBS Poll: Most Support Immigration Reform, Key Provisions Of Reform Bill Receive Wide Support From Both Republicans And Democrats - CBS News
Would this be the same CBS that fired Dan Rather for not checking facts before airing a story? I'll take my info from the Rasmussen polls considered to be the most accurate. The key to your so called poll is in this line:
"But no jumping ahead in line: Most of those who support this proposal think illegal immigrants who apply for visas should have to wait until all legal applicants have been considered first." A guest worker program and AMNESTY are two different things. Yes Americans support guest worker programs but 80% of Americans oppose AMNESTY. I also find it funny that you call Republicans right wing loonies when in your poll and mine Republicans are for legal immigration much more so than democrats.

Hot Air » Blog Archive » Rasmussen: 32% “angry” about illegal immigration, 63% want border secured first

Old 07-17-2008, 12:24 PM

This the same Rasmussen that has immigration ranked down as number nine in issues of importance to voters this election?

Rasmussen Reportsâ„¢: The most comprehensive public opinion coverage ever provided for a presidential election. (http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/issues2/trust_importance_on_issues - broken link)

Old 07-17-2008, 12:46 PM

Quote:
This the same Rasmussen that has immigration ranked down as number nine in issues of importance to voters this election?

Rasmussen Reportsâ„¢: The most comprehensive public opinion coverage ever provided for a presidential election. (http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/issues2/trust_importance_on_issues - broken link)
What's your point you can back through 2007 on the history of the polls and cont. ranks 8/9. It is one of the top 10 in people's minds out of the 10's of thousands of issues that confront Americans on a daily basis. I'd say that makes it pretty darn important.

Old 07-17-2008, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal512 View Post
What's your point you can back through 2007 on the history of the polls and cont. ranks 8/9. It is one of the top 10 in people's minds out of the 10's of thousands of issues that confront Americans on a daily basis. I'd say that makes it pretty darn important.
My point?

I thought it was obvious.

Immigration ranks behind the economy, health care, education, social security, Iraq, etc., etc. in the majority of Americans minds today.

And in almost every category Dems are trusted more than Rep to help make these issues better.

Even immigration at number nine is split even between Dems and Rep to offer a better solution.

so my point is that the loonies who scream about immigration being number one and who want to deport them all tomorrow are going to be sadly disillusioned come November.

At least this is according to your Trusted Rassmusen Polls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies