Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 11:14 AM

889 posts, read 2,406,555 times

Advertisements

Water Makes US Troops in Iraq Sick
LARRY MARGASAK | March 9, 2008 11:38 AM EST |

WASHINGTON — Dozens of U.S. troops in Iraq fell sick at bases using "unmonitored and potentially unsafe" water supplied by the military and a contractor once owned by Vice President Dick Cheney's former company, the Pentagon's internal watchdog says.

A report obtained by The Associated Press said soldiers experienced skin abscesses, cellulitis, skin infections, diarrhea and other illnesses after using discolored, smelly water for personal hygiene and laundry at five U.S. military sites in Iraq.

AP: Water Makes US Troops in Iraq Sick
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2008, 11:41 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,950,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GigiBowman View Post
Water Makes US Troops in Iraq Sick
LARRY MARGASAK | March 9, 2008 11:38 AM EST |

WASHINGTON — Dozens of U.S. troops in Iraq fell sick at bases using "unmonitored and potentially unsafe" water supplied by the military and a contractor once owned by Vice President Dick Cheney's former company, the Pentagon's internal watchdog says.

A report obtained by The Associated Press said soldiers experienced skin abscesses, cellulitis, skin infections, diarrhea and other illnesses after using discolored, smelly water for personal hygiene and laundry at five U.S. military sites in Iraq.

AP: Water Makes US Troops in Iraq Sick
Much better, now we can also wait for the actual report when it comes out to further verfiy.

I am assuming you read this article fully right? I found it to be a bit biased in its word approach and somewhat misleading in other ways. Personally, I will wait for the report before I make any conclusions.

I did find this interesting though.

Quote:
he Defense Department's inspector general's report, which could be released as early as Monday, found water quality problems between March 2004 and February 2006 at three sites run by contractor KBR Inc., and between January 2004 and December 2006 at two military-operated locations.

It was impossible to link the dirty water definitively to all the illnesses, according to the report. But it said KBR's water quality "was not maintained in accordance with field water sanitary standards" and the military-run sites "were not performing all required quality control tests."

The report said KBR took corrective steps and was providing adequate water quality by November 2006. But military units at the two sites they controlled were still failing to perform required quality control tests and maintain appropriate records by that time.
So they found dirty water at three sites. How many are there totally? They also said they could not link the water to all illnesses and I found the wording here a bit... well leading.

for instance: But it said KBR's water quality "was not maintained in accordance with field water sanitary standards"

and the military-run sites "were not performing all required quality control tests."

Well, until we see the report it looks like it was a combination of misses and one could even suggest from the information given (until we get the full report) that part of the problem of the water issues were caused by the military "not performing all required quality control tests."

This is a far cry from the garbage allegations to which all of the news and propaganda sites claim.

I think a detailed look at the report will uncover more details. Time will tell.

Old 07-18-2008, 11:50 AM

3,454 posts, read 7,409,608 times
I'm encouraged that the report "...could be released as early as Monday..."

Oh wait. "Monday" would've been March 10, 2008. Oh well, we'll keep waiting!

Old 07-18-2008, 12:00 PM

Here's the difference between me and you. I am more inclined to believe a little youtube made by joeschmoe of MOD CUT in the basement of his 1 room home than I am to believe the crap that is fed to me by the mainstream media. Therefore.....just because something is on msnbc or abc or went through the wire at viacom doesn't make it gospel. WHY? Who owns the media? Certainly not "we the people" therefore...any tidbit of information that I see....or find interesting...that I wish to share....you can disprove it if you like...but stop me from posting it? Why? Who are you to say if it's true or not? SNOPES? Who the hell owns snopes?

Just because the government tells me something is true...doesn't make it true. And just because two people who you give more than 15 minues of fame to that started Snopes...use the mainstream media as their research...DOES NOT MAKE IT GOSPEL.

If you want to disprove it...go right ahead. DO your own friggen research....but I personally find people jumping on board to denounce a youtube made by someone who claims that something isn't quite right in the government....is all we have left folks...When we can no longer do that.....
well, it won't be long now. Especially when so many walk into the pits so willingly.

Last edited by NewToCA; 07-18-2008 at 01:17 PM.. Reason: language

Old 07-18-2008, 12:04 PM

Snopes is very reliable and well-respected by many, on all sides of the political spectrum.

While we're doubting the govt., here's another way they're committing biological warfare...on all of us! Need to get on this right away. It's on youtube so you can trust it.

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

Old 07-18-2008, 12:56 PM

Hey, maybe I'm not perfect and I fall for information that might not be 100% as it comes through the great big internet wire (thought I give myself a better chance of getting it right by listening to what ordinarly folks have to say)....but at least I'm not fool enough to fall for Obama. Or McCain.

Old 07-18-2008, 01:26 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,216,682 times
Instead of trying figure out if what is presented is biased YouTube, blog or e-mail stuff, here is a complete copy of the actual DoD Inspector General audit report (attached) concerning the water:

Because of corrective actions taken, contractor processes for providing potable and nonpotable water were adequate as of November 2006 when internal quality control procedures and DoD oversight were in place to provide quality assu ocesses of water production, production site storage, distribution, and storage at point-of-use facilities. However, military water purification units at LSA Anaconda and Camp Ali did not perform required quality control tests and did not maintain appropriate records of water produced, stored, and issued during the period reviewed. Therefore, water suppliers exposed U.S. forces to unmonitored and potentially unsafe water. Although there was no way to determine whether water provided by the contractors and military water purification units caused disease, contractors and military units responsible for water operations must always ensure that water provided to the forces meets all established standards and is safe to use.

http://www.dodig.osd.mil/Audit/reports/fy08/08-060.pdf

Old 07-18-2008, 01:44 PM

Thank you!!!

Old 07-18-2008, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GigiBowman View Post
Here's the difference between me and you. I am more inclined to believe a little youtube made by joeschmoe of MOD CUT in the basement of his 1 room home than I am to believe the crap that is fed to me by the mainstream media. Therefore.....just because something is on msnbc or abc or went through the wire at viacom doesn't make it gospel. WHY? Who owns the media? Certainly not "we the people" therefore...any tidbit of information that I see....or find interesting...that I wish to share....you can disprove it if you like...but stop me from posting it? Why? Who are you to say if it's true or not? SNOPES? Who the hell owns snopes?

Just because the government tells me something is true...doesn't make it true. And just because two people who you give more than 15 minues of fame to that started Snopes...use the mainstream media as their research...DOES NOT MAKE IT GOSPEL.

If you want to disprove it...go right ahead. DO your own friggen research....but I personally find people jumping on board to denounce a youtube made by someone who claims that something isn't quite right in the government....is all we have left folks...When we can no longer do that.....
well, it won't be long now. Especially when so many walk into the pits so willingly.
And what does that have to do with the factual aspects of this issue?

Old 07-18-2008, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Instead of trying figure out if what is presented is biased YouTube, blog or e-mail stuff, here is a complete copy of the actual DoD Inspector General audit report (attached) concerning the water:

Because of corrective actions taken, contractor processes for providing potable and nonpotable water were adequate as of November 2006 when internal quality control procedures and DoD oversight were in place to provide quality assu ocesses of water production, production site storage, distribution, and storage at point-of-use facilities. However, military water purification units at LSA Anaconda and Camp Ali did not perform required quality control tests and did not maintain appropriate records of water produced, stored, and issued during the period reviewed. Therefore, water suppliers exposed U.S. forces to unmonitored and potentially unsafe water. Although there was no way to determine whether water provided by the contractors and military water purification units caused disease, contractors and military units responsible for water operations must always ensure that water provided to the forces meets all established standards and is safe to use.

http://www.dodig.osd.mil/Audit/reports/fy08/08-060.pdf (broken link)
Yes, thank you very much for providing the facts of the issue NewToCa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies