Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2012, 05:58 AM

684 posts, read 825,436 times

Advertisements

I have noticed a trend on the internet that has been growing since the days of ARPAnet: The Democratization of knowledge.

More specifically, it's the idea that everyone has an equal say in to what is true or false. Rather than turning towards the Encyclopedia Britannica or other authority, we turn towards online. In doing so, we seem to fall victim to the idea that 99 loud fifteen year old boys shouting down a single plumber will know more about fixing your leaky faucet.

It might be considered elitist, but the depersonalization of online interaction and the inherent belief everyone has that they are an authority on any given subject of interest to them has resulted in most threads being near impossible to read. If one were to go to a website and say, "I was at the White House today. Barack Obama seems like a good father.", then the response to this would be very dependent upon whether this particular website leaned left or right. If you said something like, "I believe in God.", then your responses would depend on how religious a particular group were.

Twenty-five years ago, for the most part our beliefs were shaped by the geographic and social limitations that we had. Everyone we knew agreed with us in everything and anyone who disagreed was obviously wrong as everyone you knew agreed with you.

Now, there is a kind of forced integration. I have found that this is a mixed blessing. Ignorance is loudly cried forth and actual information is difficult to find as the democratization of knowledge has meant that the one knowledgeable person is shouted down by the masses.

Is there a solution to this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2012, 06:03 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,396,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempusFugitive View Post
I have noticed a trend on the internet that has been growing since the days of ARPAnet: The Democratization of knowledge.

More specifically, it's the idea that everyone has an equal say in to what is true or false. Rather than turning towards the Encyclopedia Britannica or other authority, we turn towards online. In doing so, we seem to fall victim to the idea that 99 loud fifteen year old boys shouting down a single plumber will know more about fixing your leaky faucet.

It might be considered elitist, but the depersonalization of online interaction and the inherent belief everyone has that they are an authority on any given subject of interest to them has resulted in most threads being near impossible to read. If one were to go to a website and say, "I was at the White House today. Barack Obama seems like a good father.", then the response to this would be very dependent upon whether this particular website leaned left or right. If you said something like, "I believe in God.", then your responses would depend on how religious a particular group were.

Twenty-five years ago, for the most part our beliefs were shaped by the geographic and social limitations that we had. Everyone we knew agreed with us in everything and anyone who disagreed was obviously wrong as everyone you knew agreed with you.

Now, there is a kind of forced integration. I have found that this is a mixed blessing. Ignorance is loudly cried forth and actual information is difficult to find as the democratization of knowledge has meant that the one knowledgeable person is shouted down by the masses.

Its not about an equal say, its about how weighted your argument is in fact.

Try all you want, but selling a lie only lasts so long. Sooner or later, your argument fails up against the candle of truth.

"The truth shall set you free"

In a free country, every opinion, right or wrong, are equitable and valid. Its up to you as an individual to prove your position to free thinking people.

You'll never be able to completely change everyones minds. You mention "God" and religious arguments, but God is a different person for each and every person. What I run into is that when I ask for specifics of why someone believes one religious argument because "its in the bible", and not the other, they get defensive and generally don't have a good answer.

The internet has spurred individual debate, with history and truth. Overall, I think thats a good thing.

Old 08-01-2012, 08:30 AM

3,201 posts, read 3,858,998 times
What is knowlege? Interpretation of the truth.

The truth is the truth.

Last edited by joebaldknobber; 08-01-2012 at 09:04 AM..

Old 08-01-2012, 08:46 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
What's worse is that you can't even tell news from opinion anymore.
The proliferation of blogs and alternate sites has sucked in numerous people believing what they read.

Old 08-01-2012, 08:50 AM

5,944 posts, read 5,585,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempusFugitive View Post

So true.

Internet democracy of knowledge shakes out to something like, "My ignorance equals (or trumps) your knowledge."

Ignorant, childish opinions are continually presented as facts by those who don't grasp the difference.

Old 08-01-2012, 08:50 AM

6,512 posts, read 7,552,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
What's worse is that you can't even tell news from opinion anymore.
The proliferation of blogs and alternate sites has sucked in numerous people believing what they read.
Most news is opinion these days, which is really sad.

The proliferation of the internet has made it easier to prey on gullible people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies