Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 01:44 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,999,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
I am waiting for one single valid argument from a parent out there as to why they get tax breaks when they use more in services.

You wont get one, its not totally fair. Im like you, somewhat content in paying what I do so that my taxes provide for basic services, but to get special tax breaks for the act of having a kid...well no, thats not exactly right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2008, 01:44 PM

11,579 posts, read 13,971,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Sorry -- I have to disagree. Children are our hope for the future.

No child is a bad decision.
Whitney? Is that you?

Old 07-31-2008, 01:56 PM

2,058 posts, read 5,868,927 times
Well, I might not be right, but I think that having kids is good for our society in a couple of ways:

When you are old and retired, it will be our kids who pay taxes to make sure you can get medicare etc.

Also, having good schools in your neighborhood are good for your home value. Also, being educated is good for society.

To be honest, I am not getting rich off the tax breaks I get by having kids. To be a DINK would be the ideal financial situation. Not only do you get more disposable cash, you don't have all the extra expenses of having kids (food, clothes, childcare, toys).

But having kids was the best thing we did. We love our family, and love contributing to society by raising decent citizens.

Old 07-31-2008, 01:56 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,373,880 times
Quote:
I am waiting for one single valid argument from a parent out there as to why they get tax breaks when they use more in services.
How do we use more in services? we pay for the same things singles do in taxes, we pay for our own children from our pockets and our taxes pay for children of people who don't. A $3000.00 tax credit isn't what you should be worrying about, you should be mad about paying for people who don't work or abuse the welfare systems, you see us that pay taxes are paying for those who don't, we pay everytime they take their kids to urgent care because they pay nothing.
being a parent or being single and paying taxes is not a problem, it's the folks who live off of our taxes thats the problem.

Old 07-31-2008, 01:57 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,796,801 times
Quote:

Because we have the power.

Old 07-31-2008, 01:58 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,871,826 times
how can you know what someone has for expenses. if I have 8 dogs, I have more expenses than someone with a kid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandycat View Post
Well, I might not be right, but I think that having kids is good for our society in a couple of ways:

When you are old and retired, it will be our kids who pay taxes to make sure you can get medicare etc.

Also, having good schools in your neighborhood are good for your home value. Also, being educated is good for society.

To be honest, I am not getting rich off the tax breaks I get by having kids. To be a DINK would be the ideal financial situation. Not only do you get more disposable cash, you don't have all the extra expenses of having kids (food, clothes, childcare, toys).

But having kids was the best thing we did. We love our family, and love contributing to society by raising decent citizens.

Old 07-31-2008, 02:01 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,369,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
So you prefer that a mom and dad making $10k a year combined should go and have 2 kids because its "hope for our future?"
No. I believe that every child deserves a decent life, and to the legitimate extent that society can provide for such a life, it should.

Quote:
Personally I think that is child abuse because you cant even begin to provide the most minimal things for that poor kid. Its selfish, short sighted, and just plain stupid.
I agree. That is why adoptive, foster care, and other social service agencies exist -- and why they need to be funded by society as a whole.

Old 07-31-2008, 02:03 PM

3,352 posts, read 6,671,417 times
Quote:
I think that single people with no kids are totally screwed under our current tax "scheme." let me get this strait, I have no kids, but I pay for your kids education. I also pay for their health care, and all those other services that are provided for children. I don't like this fact, however, I accept it. where I start to get annoyed is when we give back more to those who take the most. I don't have a $3000 write off per child. I didn't get an extra wad in my stimulus check. these things annoy the crap out of me, but then I heard a new one. now residents of my state aren't paying sales tax on school supplies. WTF is going on? it's almost like you are forced to have kids to make any money in this country. you know what's even harder than being a parent? paying for kids that aren't yours. I am tired of this government forced child support for children I didn't have the pleasure of making. like I said, I have come to terms with tax dollars being used for education and some services for kids (not health care), but I think they have got to draw a line at all these tax incentives that are unfairly given to those who choose to have children.
It's this culture we have that worships children and youth. I can almost hear Whitney Houston now ... "I believe the children are our future ... teach them well and let them lead the way."

Nobody forced you to have kids, but now I have to help pay for yours? What a load.

Old 07-31-2008, 02:06 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,373,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DestinationSeattle View Post
It's this culture we have that worships children and youth. I can almost hear Whitney Houston now ... "I believe the children are our future ... teach them well and let them lead the way."

Nobody forced you to have kids, but now I have to help pay for yours? What a load.
How are you paying for someones kids? nobodies tax dollars have paid for mine, I've paid for them.

Old 07-31-2008, 02:06 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,369,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
Whitney? Is that you?
Best version of the national anthem ever recorded.

YouTube - Whitney Houston singing the National Anthem

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies