Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 08:33 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,323,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
I agree. For example most Constitution experts will tell you the "right to bear arms" referred to the militia of the day, and was never intended to mean individual arms.

But if you take it as your Bible I know you realize this.

But what can you do, you have to accomodate the whims of modern society.
...and other experts say that it did mean individual gun ownership, as was the custom 'back then'. Almost makes you wish Barbara Walters had been around to interview the founding fathers. Isn't she almost that old?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2008, 08:34 PM

5,407 posts, read 7,796,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
...and other experts say that it did mean individual gun ownership, as was the custom 'back then'. Almost makes you wish Barbara Walters had been around to interview the founding fathers. Isn't she almost that old?
no babwa wawa!! I give.

Old 08-06-2008, 08:36 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,854,688 times
you know what I find frustrating? when we expanded the simplicity of "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness."

Quote:
Thanks for the advice. Trust me, I "think" about things.

I also understand that the writers of the constitution lived in a world a few hundred years ago.

I find a lot of people that try to cling to their "constitutional rights" don't understand the context in which those rights were incorporated into the constiution in the first place.

Isn't that frustrating?

Old 08-06-2008, 08:57 PM

1,083 posts, read 2,293,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
How are you paying for someones kids? nobodies tax dollars have paid for mine, I've paid for them.
I'm late on this debate but as a single person with no kids and a home, I pay an outrageous amount in property taxes that are largely driven by the costs of the public school system. Having kids are fine, but you shouldn't get a higher tax break for making this choice and single people that have made a responsible and thoughtful decision not to not have children (for whatever reason including affordability) should not be made to feel guilty.

Old 08-06-2008, 09:01 PM

5,407 posts, read 7,796,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prim2007 View Post
I'm late on this debate but as a single person with no kids and a home, I pay an outrageous amount in property taxes that are largely driven by the costs of the public school system. Having kids are fine, but you shouldn't get a higher tax break for making this choice and single people that have made a responsible and thoughtful decision not to not have children (for whatever reason including affordability) should not be made to feel guilty.
True. But agiain, unless you are going to be a millionaire as a few other single posters profess,. and will need medicare and social secrurity like 99% of the population, you will be paid back in spades.

Apart from the desire to be part of an advanced developed society, in general.

Last edited by bily4; 08-06-2008 at 09:08 PM.. Reason: typos

Old 08-06-2008, 09:09 PM

1,083 posts, read 2,293,564 times
Quote:
True. But agiain, unless you are going to be a millionaire as a few other single pster prfoess,. and will need medicare and social secrutiry like 99% of the population, you will be paid back in spades.
Not if this country countinues down the same path we're on. There won't be any medicare or social security..so much for the FICA taxes I paid into this. Nope, we'll just have our 401ks and other savings.

Old 08-14-2008, 03:32 AM

12 posts, read 31,247 times
I've wondered this myself. I've had conversations with personal friends, asking the same questions. I am the sole earner in a one child family. My wife does not work. Due to EIC, I usually get "refunded" around five times what I pay. Granted, the cost of living for a parent will be higher than for a non-parent, but why exactly is SO MUCH wealth redistributed to me? I am by no means struggling financially - I am fully able to provide for my family. Not that I'm complaining; I will happily take the money. But I believe it could be used somewhere more important.

Old 08-14-2008, 06:46 AM

1,474 posts, read 2,300,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
I think that single people with no kids are totally screwed under our current tax "scheme." let me get this strait, I have no kids, but I pay for your kids education. I also pay for their health care, and all those other services that are provided for children. I don't like this fact, however, I accept it. where I start to get annoyed is when we give back more to those who take the most. I don't have a $3000 write off per child. I didn't get an extra wad in my stimulus check. these things annoy the crap out of me, but then I heard a new one. now residents of my state aren't paying sales tax on school supplies. WTF is going on? it's almost like you are forced to have kids to make any money in this country. you know what's even harder than being a parent? paying for kids that aren't yours. I am tired of this government forced child support for children I didn't have the pleasure of making. like I said, I have come to terms with tax dollars being used for education and some services for kids (not health care), but I think they have got to draw a line at all these tax incentives that are unfairly given to those who choose to have children.
Not that I necessarily disagree with the most salient points of your post, just the base concepts of applications.

The children are our future so the common good of all us tax payers should be in the health and education of those children so they can eventually take over the reigns.

That being said, I dont think we should be financing the procreation of children as a method of money for the families and for employment opportunities a the child welfare services.

I also think the concept of the school sales tax holiday is a scam fostered on us by the low income crowd. The purpose of sales tax for most cities is to support the roads, waterlines, infrastructure, police and fire for the common good.

Removal of that sales tax, even for a weekend can have dire consequences in the financial aspect.

All that beingsaid, I dont mind paying my share to help with those who have children as they are expensive little buggers,. My three are all out of school, off to college and served with distinction in the military. One now has a purple heart and two bronze from her service in Iraq.

At least I can say that my three will be the future of this country in a positive way and not just leeches on the system

Now dont even get me started on the property tax to the school system thing. Wife is a teacher and I know first hand the scam being perpetrated on the property owners in this country at the hands of the school systems.........its outrageous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies