Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 03:45 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,475,519 times

Advertisements

I think I remember a similar thread way back but I couldn't find much in search.
I have to address something and I'm sure I'll get flamed but it has to be asked-

What is your opinion on city people versus country people?

In my experiences I've found city people for the most part to be arrogant and self-righteous,among other things with not many positives...versus country people who you can hardly find any bad with.
In general country people are known to be more genuine,QUIETER,would give you the shirt off their back,etc.

I know there are exceptions,but to me this has been the rule.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2008, 03:52 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,859,793 times
I have found the people to be the same regardless of weather they are in the city or country. I do think the people who live in a city are a bit more cautious with strangers, but that isn't rude or arrogant I don't think, just cautious.

Old 08-02-2008, 04:10 PM

What I'm talking about is straight out arrogance,like they always want to argue even when they're wrong.

Old 08-02-2008, 05:31 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,089,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckPA View Post
In my experiences I've found city people for the most part to be arrogant and self-righteous,among other things with not many positives...versus country people who you can hardly find any bad with.
Please tell me you are joking.

Old 08-02-2008, 05:40 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,859,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckPA View Post
What I'm talking about is straight out arrogance,like they always want to argue even when they're wrong.
Haven't seen it any more in City or Country people. About equal in my dealings with people all over the Country. Found real nice people, and real a-holes in about the same percentages both city and country.

Old 08-02-2008, 07:32 PM

2,541 posts, read 11,336,163 times
You will definitely find a higher percentage of nice country people than city people, but there are probably more nice city people than all the country people put together (I am including the burb people in city)

A lot of the time being a city person requires that you be mean

A lot less time than say being a country person

Old 08-02-2008, 08:14 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,685,220 times
I don't know about that. I've found country people to be more gossippy and back-stabbing than city folk, and they ostracize you if you don't fit their mold, so I think the distinction is pretty arbitrary. There's a spectrum of human behavior and it doesn't have anything to do with whether one lives in an urban or rural area. People can be nice or mean anywhere.

Old 08-02-2008, 08:20 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,414,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Haven't seen it any more in City or Country people. About equal in my dealings with people all over the Country. Found real nice people, and real a-holes in about the same percentages both city and country.
There is something I can agree with.

Old 08-02-2008, 08:23 PM

Yes but have you lived in both? Any place can seem general when just passing through.

Old 08-02-2008, 09:39 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,804,487 times
I've been to a slew of major cities and nearly 100 counties in my home state of Kentucky. I've lived in a tiny farm town, small exurb, suburb, and urban neighborhood. I think I can assess.

You know, I've met humble, well-mannered people in midtown Manhattan. I've met grouchy, mannerless, mean-spirited jerks in and from Greensburg, Kentucky, pop. 1500. Vice versa, also.

Some of the best service I've received in a restaurant was in suburban Atlanta. Some of the worst (and most surly service) I've ever received was in Lawrenceburg, Kentucky, pop. 10000. And vice versa.

Some of the most chill, down-to-earth women I've ever hung out with have been from places like Cincinnati, Atlanta, and Seattle. Some of the meanest and/or coldest, from places like rural Kentucky, North Carolina and Texas. And vice versa.

I literally laugh when folks argue that country people are nicer than "dem city folk," b/c it simply isn't true. In fact, the majority of the folks I've met in and from places like Houston (especially), Atlanta, Chicago, and New York have been nice and polite. Large cities like these have such a transient population and/or people who WANT to live there and enjoy the amenities that people are naturally more accepting of "outsiders." Of course, that's not to say that jerks don't exist in those places, b/c I've met a few.

On the other hand, the majority of the folks I've met in rural-most areas of Indiana, Kentucky, Tennessee, Alabama, and Arkansas have been surly and less than pleasant. Probably a little bit more closed-minded to the world around them and reluctant of outsiders or those who can't "mesh" quickly with the locals. Not to say that I haven't met wonderful people from these places, either, b/c I have. (An exception is rural Texas, I've met some incredibly nice folks in places like Crawford, Belton, and Ore City.)

At the end of the day, though, it's probably an equal ratio of nice to not-so-nice in the country, suburbia, and urban areas alike.

Last edited by EclecticEars; 08-02-2008 at 10:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies