Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 08:49 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,219,039 times

Advertisements

I don't "play" class warfare.

I have no resentment of the wealthy.

I also would like to see an appropriate safety net and a level playing field for labor.

I also believe creativity, diligence, appropriate risk and thrift should not be punished via our tax system.

But, I have no resentment of the wealthy, nor wish for their demise.

That would only diminish me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2008, 08:54 PM

9,891 posts, read 10,823,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noahma View Post
just remember who gives you a job, My best guess is that it is not a poor person.
Ha, what you mean set aside my class envy and all those years of "hate the rich" indoctrination from the democrat party, to actually use common sense?
Right you are Noahma!

Old 08-03-2008, 08:59 PM

3,454 posts, read 7,410,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluskyz View Post
...I think there are those that would welcome a chance to put them back a peg or to. Questioning the modus operandi and attitudes of some of them isn't a bad thing....
If someone's breaking the law, then fine; but that's certainly not a trait reserved for the wealthy!

But why on earth do people want to "put them back a peg or two"?

Is it a "if I can't have it, neither should they" mentality?

That kind of thinking doesn't behoove any of us.

I mean, didn't we all as children hope one day to be wealthy? I mean, truthfully? To have all the money we need and not have to worry about paying bills, etc.?

That's what motivates us as young people to work hard (except of course for "enlightened" individuals who supposedly strive for a more important, environmentally- or socially-conscious goal).

Old 08-03-2008, 09:40 PM

3,091 posts, read 3,967,215 times
Joke I heard in church: An elderly woman was driving around a parking lot in her Mercedes, looking for a space to park. She found one and waited patiently for the person to vacate the space. Just as she was about to pull in, up zooms a young man in a tricked out pick up truck with bright colors, lights, booming sounds. He power slides the truck into the parking spot, jumps out, starts to walk away, turns and says to the woman, "that's how you do it when you're young and fast." The elderly woman rolls up her electric window, slowly backs up her Mercedes, then floors it and slams right into the back of the pick up truck. Then she slowly backs up, floors it and slams into it again. The young man, hopping up and down, watched the elderly woman roll down her electric window. She looked at him and said, "that's how you do it when you're old and rich."

It's all about perspective.

Old 08-03-2008, 09:45 PM

2,265 posts, read 3,732,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM782 View Post
While I agree that there are many people that are much worse off than the rich and there is no need to feel sorry for them, I've never understood why people hate the rich so much in this country? Is it jealousy?? I'm sure if any poor or middle class people had the chance to trade lifestyles, many of them would (I'm sure there are also people who wouldn't care)

This article just goes to show how stupid it is to target one class for taxes. The rich already pay most of the taxes in this country and they also offer most of the jobs. I'm just wondering at what point will the wealthy and corporations say enough is enough and pack up and leave. Then we will be in real trouble. There are people already denouncing their U.S. citizenship and leaving the country because of taxes (Congress is working to try and make it so that you can't do this or at least pay a hefty tax on your assets as a penalty)

A perfect example is the issue of social security in the upcoming election. Obama wants to raise the payroll tax and increase taxes on the highest income bracket (and who knows where McCain stands). 85% of the people in the highest income bracket are small business owners that employ other people. An increase in these taxes will be a real burden for them and their only choice will be to lay people off especially in an economy that is struggling as bad as ours is now.

Just my 2 cents. By the way I am not wealthy, far from it...
Usually they hate the rich because they're jealous.

Old 08-04-2008, 12:07 AM

1,020 posts, read 2,754,931 times
"A house may be large or small; as long as the neighboring houses are likewise small, it satisfies all social requirement for a residence. But let there arise next to the little house a palace, and the little house shrinks to a hut. The little house now makes it clear that its inmate has no social position at all to maintain."

Yeah! Let's get those rich people! We'll show them!

Old 08-04-2008, 12:40 AM

2,008 posts, read 3,327,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM782 View Post
While I agree that there are many people that are much worse off than the rich and there is no need to feel sorry for them, I've never understood why people hate the rich so much in this country? Is it jealousy?? I'm sure if any poor or middle class people had the chance to trade lifestyles, many of them would (I'm sure there are also people who wouldn't care)

This article just goes to show how stupid it is to target one class for taxes. The rich already pay most of the taxes in this country and they also offer most of the jobs. I'm just wondering at what point will the wealthy and corporations say enough is enough and pack up and leave. Then we will be in real trouble. There are people already denouncing their U.S. citizenship and leaving the country because of taxes (Congress is working to try and make it so that you can't do this or at least pay a hefty tax on your assets as a penalty)

A perfect example is the issue of social security in the upcoming election. Obama wants to raise the payroll tax and increase taxes on the highest income bracket (and who knows where McCain stands). 85% of the people in the highest income bracket are small business owners that employ other people. An increase in these taxes will be a real burden for them and their only choice will be to lay people off especially in an economy that is struggling as bad as ours is now.

Just my 2 cents. By the way I am not wealthy, far from it...
I wouldn't say that I hate rich people, I just think they get more than they deserve. A lot of us work hard our whole lives and never get out of the rut, most of the time it is to make rich people money THAT is what I dislike.

Old 08-04-2008, 04:21 AM

5,758 posts, read 11,636,388 times
I think it depends on what is meant by "rich." If we're talking about the fairly rich (those with $5+ million dollars in assets or so), or the really rich (people with tens of millions), there is suspicion from both sides. Republicans praise them for their success on one hand, while demonizing many of them as "out-of-touch limousine liberals." Democrats rely on their cash to fuel their political machine, but criticize them for their excess, and the supercharged corporate salaries many of them draw.

There is a general suspicion that they have certain abilities that others do not - for example, the ability to lean on the political system itself through lobbyists or personal connections, and have laws made for their benefits. Bailouts, special legal provisions in tax and estates laws, methods of agency enforcement - these all seem to favor the rich. When a middle class guy is fired, he doesn't get much. Maybe a bit of severance pay. When a CEO of a big company flames out, his lawyers make sure his landing is padded by millions of dollars. There seems to be an unfairness at work, which has accelerated over time.

Quote:
just remember who gives you a job, My best guess is that it is not a poor person.
Kind of depends what you mean by "gives," though. If you are hired by a major corporation, it's not like the CEO has "given" you a job there. Your job was created by operation of the business itself. If the CEO or a board member gets tossed out, it's not like all the hires done under that CEO get tossed out as well. They are replaceable.

Old 08-04-2008, 05:07 AM

2,735 posts, read 6,736,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatis View Post
I wouldn't say that I hate rich people, I just think they get more than they deserve. A lot of us work hard our whole lives and never get out of the rut, most of the time it is to make rich people money THAT is what I dislike.
Don't you think that "the rich" have worked just as hard as yourself?

Old 08-04-2008, 05:54 AM

3,454 posts, read 7,410,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breeze823 View Post
Don't you think that "the rich" have worked just as hard as yourself?
EXACTLY! We have the right to PURSUE happiness, not the right TO happiness. Same with wealth.

And in no other nation is the opportunity more accessible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies