Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2012, 07:27 AM

134 posts, read 243,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocoricoco View Post
And Spanish settled UK and Ireland 8.000 years ago, that's why original British and Irish are very similar to Spanish.
The "Spanish" did not "settle" in the UK and Ireland...simply because Spain and "Spaniards" did not exist then.

Historically speaking, it is very dangerous to mix-and-match historical places and peoples with modern cultures and Nations. For example, the people living 8000 years ago in what would become "Spain" would look and be genetically different from a modern Spaniard. This also happens on a shorter time scale, with many examples: from pre-Gothic Italy compared to today, to Celtic "France" compared to today, etc etc.

Old 05-19-2012, 08:13 AM

93,451 posts, read 124,120,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VOC1 View Post
The "Spanish" did not "settle" in the UK and Ireland...simply because Spain and "Spaniards" did not exist then.

Historically speaking, it is very dangerous to mix-and-match historical places and peoples with modern cultures and Nations. For example, the people living 8000 years ago in what would become "Spain" would look and be genetically different from a modern Spaniard. This also happens on a shorter time scale, with many examples: from pre-Gothic Italy compared to today, to Celtic "France" compared to today, etc etc.
Exactly and people don't think about that.

Also, there Jewish and "White" Hispanics in the US. Many came from Cuba, where many people from Spain settled during Franco's reign there. So, there are White Hispanics in the US.

There are also east Asians that came by way of Latin America. For instance, there were Chinese that settled in the Mississippi Delta in which many came by way of Cuba over a century ago. Many of the Latin American countries that are on the Pacific coast have East Asian communities too. So, there are other Asians than Filipinos that can be consider to be Hispanic.

Old 05-19-2012, 08:43 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,203,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Etienne007 View Post
It's funny how the media portrays full blooded Spaniards like Antonio Banderas, Penelope Cruz and Julio Iglesias as non-whites.
I have never read or heard any of these three characterized as "non-white."

Quote:
There are many native Spaniards with blue eyes and blonde hair, but just because most have brown eyes, dark hair an a tan, dfoesnt mean they aint white.

I mean most Americans would consider them non-white.
If the latter state were true, it would only proves that most Americans are total jerks when it comes to anything outside the realm of the local shopping mall.

Race and ethnicity has been an obsession since colonial times. Most Americans are thoroughly caught up in this traditional national obsession and their ideas are on the subject are a mess......[/quote]

Old 05-19-2012, 08:49 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,945,615 times
People care way too much about this crap

Old 08-02-2012, 10:43 PM

1 posts, read 1,364 times
I'm Spanish (from Galicia) and people in Spain don't even know what Hispanics are. I have a white complexion, hazel eyes, tall and I have straight long hair. Spanish, Italians and Portuguese are definitely the best looking Europeans since we don't look pasty as **** like someone from Germany or Austria, although you can find darker people in those countries. Most Americans think since my last name is Gómez I'm automatically from Mexico or south america and I do get offended, very offended actually.

Old 08-02-2012, 11:17 PM

1,767 posts, read 2,349,911 times

FYI

When Spain controlled Mexico, they created a caste system to try to keep the Spanish blood pure.

"The Mexican Caste System" by Fulano_de_Tal | San Diego Reader

It didn't work. Caste systems never work.

Only total geographical separation keeps ethnic/racial groups from miscegenation.

Old 08-03-2012, 05:27 AM

983 posts, read 3,599,628 times
Default bergwença

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexis Gómez View Post
Most Americans think since my last name is Gómez I'm automatically from Mexico or south america and I do get offended, very offended actually.
I don't get why you have to be so offended by someone mistaking you for a Mexican or South American.

It's interesting how some Hispanix like to emphasize their whiteness and get offended for being associated with Latin Americans.

Is it such a shame to be associated with Latin Americans, many of whom have features such as dark skin, non-straight hair, shorter stature, etc.?

After all, Spaniards do have a lot in common culturally with brown, short Latin Americans than with white, tall Germanix.

Old 08-03-2012, 07:40 AM

567 posts, read 1,120,752 times
"Hispanic" is a blanket term that's way too broad, if you ask me. Many Mexican-Americans of my generation (and of the generation above mine) are not fond of the term because it glosses over our Indian blood. 55% of Mexicans, and probably the overwhelming majority of people of Mexican descent in the US, are "mestizo": that is, Spanish/Indian mix. Dominicans and Puerto Ricans have African blood. The term "Hispanic" sweeps all this under the rug.

Old 08-03-2012, 07:48 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,301,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Etienne007 View Post
It's funny how the media portrays full blooded Spaniards like Antonio Banderas, Penelope Cruz and Julio Iglesias as non-whites.

There are many native Spaniards with blue eyes and blonde hair, but just because most have brown eyes, dark hair an a tan, dfoesnt mean they aint white.

I mean most Americans would consider them non-white.

The same Americans would say Christiano Ronaldo (portugese), Al Pacino (Italian-American) and Monica Belucci (Italian) are white.
I don't know what fantasy world you are in, but Spaniards are classified as white.

Old 08-03-2012, 08:43 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,325,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalLord View Post
"Hispanic" is a blanket term that's way too broad, if you ask me. Many Mexican-Americans of my generation (and of the generation above mine) are not fond of the term because it glosses over our Indian blood. 55% of Mexicans, and probably the overwhelming majority of people of Mexican descent in the US, are "mestizo": that is, Spanish/Indian mix. Dominicans and Puerto Ricans have African blood. The term "Hispanic" sweeps all this under the rug.
Hispanic just means you have some ancestry from Spain and that usually your native or primary langauge is Spanish. Hispanic is also considered a culture. I don't know why Spaniards, Latinos, Mexicans etc. would take offense at the term. Mestizo Mexicans do have anestoral roots in Spain even though they are usually part native indian also. Some are part black racially also. What's the big deal?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies