Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2008, 01:01 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,246,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluskyz View Post
I don't think you are misunderstood at all.

Whether you think an opinion is a bad relationship that is irrepairable is not a reason to declare those that hate live elsewhere. They can live where they damn well choose and will.

There are Americans that are loyal to their country--are native born--and have served their country in time of need that have and will state that they despise what our country has become as opposed to what it once was, and further despise those that gave the depravers the opportunity to do so. The disloyals are the ones that have stamped and mutilated our country, sold us out to foreign interests for personal gain and allowed the corporate and wealthy UNREGULATED playgrounds. All the while seeing our middle-class go to the rear of the line in preference to detrimental interests.

Hate--maybe close. Rather, I choose despise, of those responsible, and it comes very easily. Also, one who has and will continue to join with others to make positive and non-violent changes and work very hard to return our country to those that made this country--our great middle-class.
Then, I suppose we shall agree to disagree, as we all have the right. I never said people cannot live where they choose I was merely asking WHY, if their obvious disdain is so strong why would they WANT to. Simple enough. No more, no less.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2008, 01:03 PM

9,526 posts, read 16,507,823 times
I will say it this way, and then this is last time I will probably even notice this thread. They do not see america looking out for its own, maybe someone else does, but they don't. They do vote, and are not completely sure the elections are even just and legitimally conducted any longer. They see their country going down the tubes and in many ways it looks like its being allowed to. They would like to leave the country, but what country is taking americans in for the asking, not many. Not everyone wants to live in Mexco or Costa Rica or Panama. They have family obligations and jobs here that prevent them from leaving, so they make the best of it. There is no crime in wanting something that may feel better for one vs another. If that means another country so be it. The USA isn't all bad, but for some yes it would be a better choice to live elsewhere. I just don't think its all that easy to pack up and go, and say Why do people who hate america continue to live here. Im doubtful they actually hate america, they most likely hate what has happened to it. People left countries to come here because of problems forcing them out. Who is to say that serious problems couldn't eventually force some americans out of this country.

Old 08-17-2008, 01:12 PM

711 posts, read 932,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I will say it this way, and then this is last time I will probably even notice this thread. They do not see america looking out for its own, maybe someone else does, but they don't. They do vote, and are not completely sure the elections are even just and legitimally conducted any longer. They see their country going down the tubes and in many ways it looks like its being allowed to. They would like to leave the country, but what country is taking americans in for the asking, not many. Not everyone wants to live in Mexco or Costa Rica or Panama. They have family obligations and jobs here that prevent them from leaving, so they make the best of it. There is no crime in wanting something that may feel better for one vs another. If that means another country so be it. The USA isn't all bad, but for some yes it would be a better choice to live elsewhere. I just don't think its all that easy to pack up and go, and say Why do people who hate america continue to live here. Im doubtful they actually hate america, they most likely hate what has happened to it. People left countries to come here because of problems forcing them out. Who is to say that serious problems couldn't eventually force some americans out of this country.
Very well said. Rep for U.

Old 08-17-2008, 01:31 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,292,767 times
Quote:
make that 2 rep points for you.

Old 08-17-2008, 02:38 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,469,184 times
Maybe instead of those who are angry with their country, the ones who ought to consider leaving are those who are evidently unwilling or unable to play by her rules. The ones who would establish religion over the proscription of the 1st Amendment come to mind. So do the ones who believe that they may disregard lawful subpoenas and that requirements for obtaining warrants do not apply to them. We could add the ones who seek to operate outside of established regulatory regimes, the ones who seek to avoid paying their taxes, and all of the ones who wish to engage in discrimination on such bases as age, disability, ethnicity, gender, national origin, race, religion, and sexual orientation. If people have such a low state of regard for the US that they are willing to flaunt and disrespect some of her most essential laws and protections, maybe it is they who should be looking to reopen their business at a different location...

Old 08-17-2008, 02:46 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,454,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Maybe instead of those who are angry with their country, the ones who ought to consider leaving are those who are evidently unwilling or unable to play by her rules. The ones who would establish religion over the proscription of the 1st Amendment come to mind. So do the ones who believe that they may disregard lawful subpoenas and that requirements for obtaining warrants do not apply to them. We could add the ones who seek to operate outside of established regulatory regimes, the ones who seek to avoid paying their taxes, and all of the ones who wish to engage in discrimination on such bases as age, disability, ethnicity, gender, national origin, race, religion, and sexual orientation. If people have such a low state of regard for the US that they are willing to flaunt and disrespect some of her most essential laws and protections, maybe it is they who should be looking to reopen their business at a different location...

Fair housing laws were implemented long ago....

Patriot act was in direct retaliation to undermined intelligence agencies.

It's been very effective at removing threats before they materialize.

The American Revolution speaks about what America thinks about taxes.

What part of wanting others free is scary?

Old 08-17-2008, 03:46 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,454,732 times

Old 08-17-2008, 04:20 PM

711 posts, read 932,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
I agree.

Old 08-17-2008, 04:30 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,995,631 times
Quote:
that summed up my feelings perfectly. even though i would jump at the chance to live in a western european or south american country, i would be leaving my elderly parents behind and would miss out on my nephews and nieces. who would take care of my parents? also, how would i make a living in these other countries? many of them already have high unemployment rates for their own citizens. it is very difficult to get citizenship in many of these countries unless you renounce your US citizenship. then what would happen to your social security/medicare benefits that you have paid into? you would probably give up a lot to take up residence in another country.

Last edited by wehotex; 08-17-2008 at 04:40 PM..

Old 08-17-2008, 06:24 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,083,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_flawless View Post
Strictly answering the OP:

It takes money, quite a bit of it, paperwork, lawyers, time, IF one can find a country that will allow immigration without a ton of requirements, or if one can meet those requirements. It's not as simple as moving from California to Texas.... that might be a big part of why people don't "just leave"!
Exactly. I'm sure there are some who would actually and sincerely like to leave America, but cannot. It is very difficult for an American to immigrate elsewhere if he or she is not independently wealthy, sponsored by a corporation, willing to marry for citizenship, etc. I can't just wake up tomorrow, pack my bags, book a ticket to Denmark and move there and declare, 'hey' I don't want to live in America anymore, can I live here', I'd probably be jailed and deported if I tried.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies