Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 01:09 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,589,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Yes, an employer can set standards....that apply equally to men and women .
Absolutely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2008, 01:12 PM

3,326 posts, read 5,342,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janeannwho View Post
The real test is if the men in the shop had to wear tight leather pants to go with the short skirts of the women. When men are required to wear high heeled shoes and makeup, I will too. Until then, professional shoes and a clean face are good enough.

I was surprised that it was legal . Skirt knee level or higher but NOT lower .

No pant suits . It's an ad agency and dont see why skirt leval would make a difference yet to this day that's the co dress code.

Again this is S.Florida but in theory still part of United States and would think this would violate something.

Old 08-15-2008, 01:13 PM

2,308 posts, read 2,588,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLLL98 View Post
I have tried wearing high heels in my working environment and it was just distracting and annoying, distracting for the guys I work with and annoying because after about 4 hours of up and down walking around the office, my feet were hurting!
Heels are great for a night out, but not for a job that includes moving around. Oh, and I feel the same about suits and neckties for the guys, a nice button down shirt and nice pants should be acceptable in most work environments.
That works for Microsoft, Google, Yahoo, etc!

Old 08-15-2008, 01:16 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,158,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
Absolutely.
So you agree that if women must wear high heels then men must also?

Old 08-15-2008, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
So you agree that if women must wear high heels then men must also?
I don't care if a company makes that their policy. I wouldn't work there and would think it might not be a great business decision (depending on the type of company), but it wouldn't bother me if they did it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
I understand your point and do think it' silly to have some of the rules they have. I know guys that will never see customers but still have to wear a suit. Ultimately, it's their company and you have the option of choosing not to work for that company.
That's why it's called "at will" employment. Don't like the work rules, don't work there. BTW, those work rules can be changed at any time (unless there is a collective bargaining agreement in force) and you have two choices, comply or look for another job.

3,326 posts, read 5,342,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BButrell View Post
I'm happy your sister works somewhere else. No skirts BELOW the knee? All my skirts are ankle length. Not only are these idiot CEOs sexist, they apparently don't know jack about fashion.

Yes she got better offer and left.
She had horror stories about the owner he was a perv but the real horror you can say is that this is allowed .

Before they hire you he tells you the dress code and seems by Miami "law" that's all they need to do.

Old 08-15-2008, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luiso View Post
She had horror stories about the owner he was a perv but the real horror you can say is that this is allowed .

Before they hire you he tells you the dress code and seems by Miami "law" that's all they need to do.
Are Florida and California still part of the US?

Old 08-15-2008, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hazzard View Post
That's why it's called "at will" employment. Don't like the work rules, don't work there. BTW, those work rules can be changed at any time (unless there is a collective bargaining agreement in force) and you have two choices, comply or look for another job.
Agreed. The company does not have to change policy because you don't like it. You may leave as soon as the policy annoys you.

Old 08-15-2008, 01:27 PM

1,044 posts, read 1,954,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luiso View Post

It seems like a cultural issue in many ways. I know a lot of Latin women who actually prefer to wear high heels, and of course the men don't mind that one bit. For me, it's uncomfortable, but I have heard some women say that they feel uncomfortable wearing flat shoes. It's definately not something that should be required... unless you work at the Bada Bing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies