Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2008, 05:54 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,311,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Uh, boiseguy....the Old Testament contains no references to Jesus. He came later...hence, the NEW Testament.

You know about as much about Christianity as I do about Stonewall...
Not quite true. There are many references in the Old Testament to Jesus (Christ). You just don't find the name.

Many years of Bible study, at church, listing to Christian radio, Christian books, etc. Numerous references to Christ, even in Genisis:

Then God said, "let us make man in our image, in our likeness, and let them rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air, over the livestock, over all the earth, and over all the creatures that move along the ground." Gen 1:26.

This is generally accepted as the first reference to the Trinity; God the Father, God the Holy Spirt, and God the Son (God in "three persons", yet one God). My daughter, who went to Ozark Christian College in Joplin, MO agrees, and also pointed out that:

The pre-incarnate Christ also appeared as "the Angel of the Lord" many times.

There are also many prophecies concerning Christ, His coming as Mesiah, and even His death on the cross.

Old 08-27-2008, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
It doesn't do such a good job of explaining why there is evil. And that's just the short list.
Actually it does. Why don't your read the Bible? It makes it very plain.

Being an unbeliever, you may find it difficult at first, but little by little (if your heart is so inclined) God will reveal things to you (that means the Holy Spirit will give you understanding — if you seek in earnest).

Old 08-27-2008, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langlen View Post
Maybe they have. Christianity is not the only answer. Religion is like food. Everyone has their preferences, and nobody is right or wrong.
LOL Yeah, I know: "There are many paths to God, right?

Wrong. Jesus said "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." John 14:6 Jesus in response to Thomas's qustion: "Lord, we don't know where you are going, so how can we know the way?" Jesus had just told them He was going to be with the Father (John 14: 1-4).

Old 08-27-2008, 06:35 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,016,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post

Wrong. Jesus said "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." John 14:6 Jesus in response to Thomas's qustion: "Lord, we don't know where you are going, so how can we know the way?" Jesus had just told them He was going to be with the Father (John 14: 1-4).
The Qur'an says the same thing about Allah:

"Abraham was not a Jew nor Christian; but an upright Muslim."(Soorah Aaal’imraam 3:67)

"He has commanded that you only worship Him; that is the right religion, but most men do not understand ". (Soorah Yoosuf 12:40)

Religions tend to profess to be the right way, but the truth is that it's your way.

Old 08-27-2008, 06:41 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,713,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post

The only evidence of the existence of Jesus is in a wildly contradictory book written by an unknown number of delusional madmen (or -women). That being said, Jesus appeared to be a pretty liberal guy, a hippie of his day. Why don't we get back on topic?

By the way, organized religions (mostly the monotheistic ones) are collectively responsible for the suffering and deaths of more people than anything else in history, save for natural disasters aka "acts of god". One day, they will be as obsolete as the Greek pantheon.

Old 08-27-2008, 06:50 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,713,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agnostic soldier View Post
The Qur'an says the same thing about Allah:

"Abraham was not a Jew nor Christian; but an upright Muslim."(Soorah Aaal’imraam 3:67)

"He has commanded that you only worship Him; that is the right religion, but most men do not understand ". (Soorah Yoosuf 12:40)

Religions tend to profess to be the right way, but the truth is that it's your way.
I know. The only reply they ever have to the question "How do you know YOUR religion is the right one?" is "Because (x dogmatic book of mumbo-jumbo) said so!".

Old 08-27-2008, 07:56 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,479,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Felons relinguish the right to vote - to own and/or possess firearms and other deadly weapons. They also give up certain employment "rights". They may also give up certain licensure rights.
As a general rule, if you must register, or obtain a license or permit, it is not a right, but a privilege. You do not have an individual right to vote. Voting is a privelege granted by the state, and it may be withdrawn for any reason not among those which have been excluded by law. Your right to possess firearms is assured in your own home. It is a privilege elsewhere at this point in time. No one has a right to employment either. Employment is an "at will" arrangement virtually everywhere. "Certain licensure rights" is a little vague, but the word "licensure" itself suggests you are referring to more privileges...

Old 08-27-2008, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Minors can inherit property (real or personal). Minors can hold title to real property.
No, not in their own right. An inheritance will be controlled by a trustee, guardian, or surrogate. Minors cannot acquire title to real property, as title is acquired via contract, and minors may not participate in contracts. An exception is the case of an emancipated minor, such as where a court has effectively ruled that the maturity and situation of a chronological minor is such that status as a legal minor may be waived.

Quote:
Minors can marry (although parental consent may be required)
Only in those states which specify an age of consent, and where that age of consent is lower than the age of majority. Such arrangements do not alter the fact that a right is withheld...they merely shift the age at which such withholding legally terminates.

Old 08-27-2008, 08:11 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,266,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
No, not in their own right. An inheritance will be controlled by a trustee, guardian, or surrogate. Minors cannot acquire title to real property, as title is acquired via contract, and minors may not participate in contracts. An exception is the case of an emancipated minor, where a court has effectively ruled that the maturity and situation of a chronological minor is such that status as a legal minor may be waived.
You are incorrect. Minors can acquire title in their own right including title to real property. Minors MAY participate in contracts - although the contract is voidable by the minor.

Minors may marry in many states - in some cases without the consent of a parent, under certain circumstances. I am aware of a minor marrying at the age of 14.

Old 08-27-2008, 08:13 PM

Quote:
That's certainly a matter of opinion.
Rather one-sided opinion, as it happens.

Quote:
Besides -- there are other flavors of religion aside from protestant Christianity.
Which of them, if any, beats protestant Christianity at explaining the existence of evil?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies