Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2008, 09:51 AM

13,186 posts, read 14,980,467 times

Advertisements

I doubt you'll go very far with your union on that one. This was a small request from a substantial portion of Muslims in the shop asking for one religous Holiday. The Union leadership agreed.

Via negotiation, with their Unions' blessing, they opted to have 1 Muslim Holdiday during the year. 1 out of 9 Holidays.

And this one day too much for the bigots????

Last edited by padcrasher; 08-20-2008 at 10:11 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2008, 09:56 AM

1,459 posts, read 3,298,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
I doubt you'll go very far with you union on that one. This was a small request from a substantial portion of Muslims in the shop asking for one religous Holiday.

Via negotiation, with their Unions' blessing they opted to have 1 Muslim Holdiday during the year. 1 out of 9 Holidays.

And this one day too much for the bigots????

bigots or americans?

Labor day is an AMERICAN holiday. not just a day off....its TRADITION.

Old 08-20-2008, 09:57 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,115,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
With out a union my limits are vanishingly small.
So you're saying that in the real world, you don't possess the skills necessary to justify a decent salary? Perhaps you should broaden your skill set or hone the skills you already have, instead of relying on outside forces to get you a salary that you don't deserve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sberdrow View Post
you are using the union for the scapegoat for rising cost?
It's a factor. Not the only factor, but the impact is not negligible, nor can it be casually dismissed.

Quote:
As a Republican, you ...
I'm not a Republican. I thought I made that perfectly clear in my first post in this thread (post 16), when I said, "For the record, I am not a Republican."

Quote:
Why should I wish for lower wages
Straw man. I never suggested that anyone should "wish for lower wages." I've never held a union position and yet I've managed to make a good wage - with regular raises and the occasional bonus - everywhere I've worked. No union required.

Quote:
My non union countrer parts pay nearly 300 dollars more a month for insureance
That's $300 more that the employer is paying, then, correct? That's $300 more per month, per union employee that the company has to recover from elsewhere (read: higher prices).

Quote:
My wife gets paid 33 percent more per hour than her non union counter parts, and thats in the same city, working for the same company.
You're making my argument for me... If non-union people doing the same job for the same company are making 1/3 less, then that's probably what the job is worth in a free market.

If all that unions did was ensure fair wages and working environment, I'd be fine with it. The problem is that they accomplished that a long time ago, and in order to justify their continued existence, they have to keep getting more and more for their members. This does not translate into "fairer and fairer". They're extorting from the employers, plain and simple.

Quote:
Its pretty hard to convince someone that they could be better off making a third less income.
And I'd never try. I never claimed that union workers weren't "better off" than their non-union counterparts. My argument (and I think I've been pretty consistent on this) is that unions are no longer necessary to keep workers from being exploited, and they're getting their members compensation that isn't justified by their qualifications.

Quote:
Because her working conditions are so much better than her non union counterparts, there are large stacks of Applications of qualified people constantly gunning for her job. She is now at the top of the payscale, and her company would love to hire somone with less expense.
Again, you're making my argument for me. Clearly, someone is able and willing to do the job for less. That's what the free market system is all about, and the employer should be able to cut that cost - whether it's by replacing her, or offering her a pay cut. The union has a stranglehold on the company and is restricting them from operating as efficiently as possible. What does that mean? Higher prices for their customers.

Quote:
She has to stay on her game all the time, and constantly show that she is valuable.
That statement certainly gives the argument that union workers are lazy some teeth. Shouldn't every employee - regardless of union/non-union status - have to "stay on their game" and "show that they are valuable"? Companies don't hire people to sit on their butt and draw a paycheck. They hire them to perform a task. The better they are at performing that task efficiently, the more job security they have and the more likely they are to earn a higher wage for doing it.

Old 08-20-2008, 10:05 AM

[Mod edited] And for your information these Muslims are Americans.

Last edited by TnHilltopper; 08-20-2008 at 03:44 PM..

Old 08-20-2008, 10:17 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,266,002 times
The Muslim holiday was reversed I believe - and Labor day remains

Old 08-20-2008, 10:27 AM

"The Muslim holiday was reversed I believe"

Boy at least your consistent.

Old 08-20-2008, 10:33 AM

Ah - just double checked -

First Tyson dropped the labor day holiday in favor of the Muslim Holiday. They evidently took some hits for that.

So, they "put back" the labor day holiday - and added the Muslim Holiday. Now, everyone will get a new, paid holiday.

Ain't life grand.

Old 08-20-2008, 10:45 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Ah - just double checked -

First Tyson dropped the labor day holiday in favor of the Muslim Holiday. They evidently took some hits for that.

So, they "put back" the labor day holiday - and added the Muslim Holiday. Now, everyone will get a new, paid holiday.

Ain't life grand.
Actually, no, Tyson acquiesced to a union demand that Labor Day be replaced by the Muslim holiday. Then there was a public outcry, and the union re-negotiated with Tyson. The Labor Day holiday is reinstated, and instead of having their birthday off, employees will have a personal day that they can use at their discretion with the understanding that many of the Muslims will use that personal day to celebrate this Muslim holiday. The number of holidays increased this year because logistically it was too late in the year for people to designate the Muslim holiday as their personal day, so the plant will recognize the Muslim holiday this year, but next year it will be back to the original number of holidays. It should be noted, Tyson's role in this was pretty passive, they simply went along with the union demands in order to get the contract finalized.

Old 08-20-2008, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Actually, no, Tyson acquiesced to a union demand that Labor Day be replaced by the Muslim holiday. Then there was a public outcry, and the union re-negotiated with Tyson. The Labor Day holiday is reinstated, and instead of having their birthday off, employees will have a personal day that they can use at their discretion with the understanding that many of the Muslims will use that personal day to celebrate this Muslim holiday. The number of holidays increased this year because logistically it was too late in the year for people to designate the Muslim holiday as their personal day, so the plant will recognize the Muslim holiday this year, but next year it will be back to the original number of holidays. It should be noted, Tyson's role in this was pretty passive, they simply went along with the union demands in order to get the contract finalized.
Thank you for explaining the details of exactly what happened.

Old 08-20-2008, 11:16 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
Sounds like Tyson was being reasonable for a change. If the Christians get to take Christmas off with pay then the Muslims (and Jews, Buddhists, Animists, etc) should have one paid religious holiday per year. Maybe the managers could all take Mammon's Day to worship at a stock quotes on their computers all day instead of just most normal working days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies