Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 05:49 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,022,277 times

Advertisements

Mr. Hazzard, you are living in a country where more than half the teens are growing up in dysfunctional families, where the parents have either reneged on raising them properly, or have raised them in abusive environments.

And your solution it to throw the KIDS away and force them to live, unaided, with the consequences of the social problems that YOUR generation has created, out of your own selfish greed.

This is America, a free deomcracy, where if anything goes wrong, it is the CITIZENRY that takes the blame. And a great deal has gone wrong. And you, sir, with you SUV and your plasma TV and your riding mower---the buck stops with YOU. Do not expect the kids to be kicked out into the streets and then to overcome, all on their own, their own problens AND YOURS. And, all the while, paying for YOUR stupid war, as well.

Last edited by jtur88; 08-23-2008 at 06:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2008, 07:11 PM

2,308 posts, read 2,588,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Mr. Hazzard, you are living in a country where more than half the teens are growing up in dysfunctional families, where the parents have either reneged on raising them properly, or have raised them in abusive environments.

And your solution it to throw the KIDS away and force them to live, unaided, with the consequences of the social problems that YOUR generation has created, out of your own selfish greed.

This is America, a free deomcracy, where if anything goes wrong, it is the CITIZENRY that takes the blame. And a great deal has gone wrong. And you, sir, with you SUV and your plasma TV and your riding mower---the buck stops with YOU. Do not expect the kids to be kicked out into the streets and then to overcome, all on their own, their own problens AND YOURS. And, all the while, paying for YOUR stupid war, as well.
Don't hold back, let me have right between the eyes! Firstly, the Middle East is not my war, Viet-Nam is my war where I served 18 months with a combat infantry unit. I DO NOT support the continuation of the Iraqi War for a myriad of reasons, #1 being oil, but I do support our troops in their effort to suppress radical Islam and the Taliban, particularly in Afghanistan.

I don't have a plasma TV or an SUV, I don't even own a vehicle! My children are in their 30's and 40's but I do have a teenage grandson who is struggling with the decay of society and the family brought about by economics and the breakdown in the fundamental unit of society which is the family. My generation was the start of the family breakdown when both parents were in the workforce and children were often left to fend for themselves. This breakdown of the family unit has been exacerbated by technology, the rise of the Internet and peer performance pressure. The dysfunctional family, abuse, drugs, sexual predators and a permissive society have resulted in the "lost generation" where pre-teens wander the streets at all hours of the day and night just waiting to be preyed upon by the dregs of society. A permissive and dysfunctional justice system has permitted the lowest scum of the Earth to continue breathing and have released these deranged genetic misfits back onto the streets time after time after time...! Where you have prey (children of the lost) you have predators and a society unwilling to rid itself of the predators in the name of "cruel and unusual punishment"!

Old 08-23-2008, 09:51 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_flawless View Post
I understand about the Hollywood babies, but seriously, do teen girls really think that the Hollywood baby thing has ANY basis in reality? I mean, movie stars have been having babies forever.
I think the movie stars glamorize pregnancy. Most 16 yr olds can't think about the next 18 yrs (at least) of childrearing.

Old 08-23-2008, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hazzard View Post
Don't hold back, let me have right between the eyes! :

Thank you for your measured and thoughtful reply. Knowing nothing about you, I used you as a proxy for your generation, and my comment was an intent to show that the entire generation is fully responsible for the predicament faced by our children. It was my generation, too, but I fought it every step of the way in every way I knew how, because the outcome was so predictable. My apoligies for painting you with an inappropriate brush.

Having said that, it really isn't the kids' fault, and I, for one, feel a responsibility for bailing out each and every one that I can, with anything I can do to smooth the track to their not very promising future. Rather than to say "you screwed up, too bad for you".

Just as I feel a personal respponsibility, as a citizen of a free democracy, for not doing enough to stop those morans from getting us into all those idiotic wars, killing millions of innocents, and mortgaging the future of the kids that they are now so quick to throw under the bus.

Old 08-23-2008, 10:18 PM

104 posts, read 180,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I interpret Steve's comments about glamorizing pregnancy to mean that pregnancy is glamorized with little thought given to childrearing. All these Hollywood babies are being raised by nannies, if they're lucky, and by no-one, if they're not.

Safe haven laws have not worked well in Colorado. Babies are still abandoned instead of being taken to the hospital, fire station, etc.

Maybe we need some respite places to drop teens for a few days/weeks!
lol. We should be allowed to "drop off" teens in military boot camps. The entitlement, disrespect and general know-it-all attitudes would sure recieve a cure.
I read a research article that kids/youngadults in their early 20's are being fired at a greater rate than any other generation! Reason: poor social skills, inability to accept directions, inability to take responsiblility for their work or actions.
From what I've seen, this runs true.

Old 08-23-2008, 10:22 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,692,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
On the other hand, a disabled girl was killed her in a fire recently because her mother locked in her in the basement. Imagine dying of third degree burns.
First of all, she was locked in her room, and second, the reason she was locked there was because she would often wonder off outside in her wheel chair and almost got hit by a car once.

Old 08-23-2008, 10:34 PM

Everybody almost got hit by a car once. I almost got hit several time. Luckily, nobody locked me in my room. If I was in a wheelchair for life, I'd probably WANT to be hit by a really fast car. Better than burning to death, anyway.

Old 08-24-2008, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iq140 View Post
lol. We should be allowed to "drop off" teens in military boot camps. The entitlement, disrespect and general know-it-all attitudes would sure recieve a cure.
I read a research article that kids/youngadults in their early 20's are being fired at a greater rate than any other generation! Reason: poor social skills, inability to accept directions, inability to take responsiblility for their work or actions.
From what I've seen, this runs true.
Parents, guardians, schools, the media, etc., we're all responsible for the actions of the "lost generation". Children and teens without any dirrction, moral campass and responsibilities are finding that thier anti-social behavior does not fly in the real worl of work and responsibility. The buck stops with generation "I want it all and I want it now!", and it started with the baby boomers (my generation) that left the "cake out in the rain" to rot, ferment and corrupt the "now" generation. The person responsible for the chaos of the young is the person looking back at us in the mirror every day, ourselves!

Old 08-24-2008, 07:32 AM

13,784 posts, read 26,259,115 times
[quote=Steve Hazzard;4962761]So..., what's next, dropping of grandma and grandpa; unwanted in-laws; overstayed visitors; the dead dog...! Just when I thought that our Marxist society couldn't sink any lower...!

This may not be ALL bad!! I have been looking for a drop off point for my mother in law for YEARS!

Old 08-24-2008, 08:55 AM

[quote=mrstewart;4976382]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hazzard View Post
So..., what's next, dropping of grandma and grandpa; unwanted in-laws; overstayed visitors; the dead dog...! Just when I thought that our Marxist society couldn't sink any lower...!

This may not be ALL bad!! I have been looking for a drop off point for my mother in law for YEARS!
Well..., according to your location, you're just a little east of Omaha! I'd check with FedEx Ground Shipping, they might be able to handle the job!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies