Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2009, 02:33 PM

324 posts, read 1,138,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
I have always wondered this myself. we all know that poverty is a choice, so why do so many chose to live in it? with all the government grants, educational opportunities, and other government programs out there, why do so many choose to do so little? show me a poor person, and I will show you a reason. unless you are physically or mentally disabled, there is no excuse for being poor.

The view of either a very young and naive kid or a person who's always had it all. Lots of people do not "choose" to be poor.....yes, there are excuses for being poor..... I feel sorry for you and the way you view the poor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2009, 02:36 PM

2,557 posts, read 5,859,309 times
They are too lazy to work and they want government handouts. The poorer you are, the more you get.

Old 05-12-2009, 03:09 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,727,347 times
Quote:
I have always wondered this myself. we all know that poverty is a choice, so why do so many chose to live in it? with all the government grants, educational opportunities, and other government programs out there, why do so many choose to do so little? show me a poor person, and I will show you a reason. unless you are physically or mentally disabled, there is no excuse for being poor.
can you tell me how all the poor children in places like haiti choose to be poor. and what about all the people that got screwed by people like bernie madoff did they choose to become poor..

Old 05-12-2009, 03:56 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,592,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
can you tell me how all the poor children in places like haiti choose to be poor. and what about all the people that got screwed by people like bernie madoff did they choose to become poor..
Here is another question: to which precincts has the OP disappeared, in response to all these statements?

Old 05-15-2009, 06:31 AM

3 posts, read 3,726 times
For whoever said thaT THEY live in the ghetto well you should see where i live right in tha middle of ghetto crackville

Old 05-15-2009, 06:35 AM

Hey everyone Its not htat people choose to be poor its just life and things like that happen. I mean get real who would want to be poor. There is many jobs being lost and money is getting low honestly who tha hell would choose to be poor??????????????????

Old 05-15-2009, 06:42 AM

:-) :-0 [ Hello ]

Old 05-15-2009, 06:56 AM

12,956 posts, read 13,667,161 times
Quote:
I bet you that I could cut your expenses in half. I would bet that you carry a lot of debt, have several cell phones, cable, you obviously have Internet. see, people are suffering from the entitlement disease.
Any poor person with out a credit card, cell phone and the Internet is in the middle of the ocean without a life jacket, This is the modern age, how old are you 90. my grandfather told my father don't let the kids flush the toilet after they go , flush it once or twice a day . that's what you sound like. A person too poor to own a car can go to a job interview in another state in a rental car with a credit card and about $50.00 . Most jobs, are listed on the Internet, and I hope I don't have to explain why a poor person needs a cell phone.

In America we have many classifications of poor people. Public assistance keeps some people in Poverty IMO.I knew a couple who were on Public assistance with three children , two working Parents making Minimum wage. Instead of Paying for the father to get certified to teach (one semester of college) the state paid that family;food stamps, rental assistance, medical card, daycare cost etc., The state can not pay for a college grad to get certified by the state to teach for the state, but they will pay a family to stagnate in Poverty for 18 years at $100,000 's of dollars.

Old 05-15-2009, 07:15 AM

7,923 posts, read 8,844,138 times
why do so many people choose to be poor?

I suppose for the same reason that some people choose to be Stupid!

Old 05-16-2009, 05:47 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,643,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiegirlfriend View Post
They are too lazy to work and they want government handouts. The poorer you are, the more you get.
What about the working poor? You know, not everyone asks the government for money. Not everyone cares about having "stuff"--I know I don't. I don't own a car, I don't have a big screen TV--nor do I need one. I don't put a lot of importance on having "things". As long as I have a roof over my head, and get to eat something once a day, I'm happy.

And I work hard, sometimes two and three jobs at a time. But I'm still "poor"--and that's the way I like it to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies