Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2009, 11:17 PM

1,207 posts, read 2,423,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
I don't have health care at the moment, and I would never expect someone else to pay for it for me. people like me make you sick because you don't like to hear opposing points of view and you can't stand to have someone point out flaws. trust me, I have lived through things that you could never even imagine, and they were all my choice, and I fought to overcome the adversity alone.
Any person who ever claims to have fought through adversity alone is someone who clearly lacks insight, wisdom, depth of thought, understanding of life in general. There is no person, ever, who will ever make it through this life without the help (in one way or another - in many ways actually) of others. You have an over-zealous ego / inflated sense of self to think otherwise. There are so many ways in which others contribute to our successes & our misfortune. This is not to be mistaken for lacking personal accountability or a reasonable sense of pride in overcoming adversity. If you fail to see the countless ways in which countless others have contributed to your highest good, perhaps you should take some real time to reflect upon it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2009, 11:23 PM

491 posts, read 749,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
if it were not true i would not say it.
its not an act friend.
many in the welfare system simply have no interest in the training and job seeking. they want neither.

I will not disagree that there are many who do abuse the system but to say most abuse is false.

Old 01-01-2009, 11:26 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerPlayer84 View Post
I will not disagree that there are many who do abuse the system but to say most abuse is false.
the self perception of most is they are interested ---the problem is in follow through. many many reasons for this. i dont see it as system abuse. honestly i dont. each and every person is worth the effort. its self ripoff that is the tragedy.

Old 01-01-2009, 11:40 PM

491 posts, read 749,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
the self perception of most is they are interested ---the problem is in follow through. many many reasons for this. i dont see it as system abuse. honestly i dont. each and every person is worth the effort. its self ripoff that is the tragedy.

that is true but I do not see it as anyworse then CEO's paying themselves million dollar bonuses

Old 01-01-2009, 11:43 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
Quote:
that is true but I do not see it as anyworse then CEO's paying themselves million dollar bonuses
sadder by far, the CEO is getting something, though very dirty money,
the poor person ripping off himself is worse off in every way. the sky is cryin.

Old 01-02-2009, 04:01 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by think.reciprocity View Post
I'll pray life is always gentle & easy for you - because karma could be a real "B" for someone with an attitude like yours. Thankfully, you hold no power over my life or my death - only me & my creator do. Fortunately for you - the same holds true!

Be well...
It isn't easy OR gentle, but I get through it okay. And I won't expect anyone to give me a handout either. If the day comes I cannot work, that's the day I'll die...because I'll do the "honorable" thing.

Old 01-02-2009, 07:17 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
that is a great idea but is based on fantasy. Not everyone has the means or are smart enought to get a better life.
Wrong, immigrants can show up on the door step of America with the clothes on their back and be successful in a few years. If you want to be successful you need to sacrifice, that means getting up 4 A.M. and working until 9 P.M. and repeat that process every day for 10 years years whether you're working to establish a business or working and going to school. It means saving your money instead of buying McDonald's and that case of beer for the weekend. It means driving around in a junk car for a few years, having a small TV and not buying the latest and greatest piece of crap being marketed... it means a lot of things but the key word is sacrifice. This is the road that anyone who was poor took to be successful. Instead of whining on an internet forum about their problems they got up and did something about it.

Old 01-02-2009, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
It isn't easy OR gentle, but I get through it okay. And I won't expect anyone to give me a handout either. If the day comes I cannot work, that's the day I'll die...because I'll do the "honorable" thing.

So, you plan on opting on suicide rather than retirement? Because that would be NOT working... right?

Clearly, your idea of honourable & mine are two very different things. Not to mention your idea of what constitutes a true contribution to society being different than mine. I know that I add great value & service to the world... I know that I "work" very hard at the things I am able to do... I simply do not/cannot contribute in the limited ways you find acceptable.

It would be difficult trying to exist in such a myopic world. I truly wish you well!

Old 01-02-2009, 11:40 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times
Aren't you a little biased in that opinion though?

Old 01-02-2009, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Aren't you a little biased in that opinion though?

There are NO truly unbiased opinions. We all have our own slant & perspective - no matter how even-handed or reasonable we try to be. Before becoming disabled I was living on a healthy $65,000 per year - not rich... not hurting financially either. I supported myself, my son, & my ailing sister & her husband -she had breast cancer, he had been on disability for years... neither were able to work. What they contributed to my life is immeasurable & no dollar value could ever be great enough.

I've been on both sides of this "fence" - and many degrees in between.

So, am I biased? Sure. But, I believe my bias is tempered greatly by a thoughtful, well reasoned mind. I don't hold these values simply because I now am disabled. I held them before - when I was working my azz off to support myself, my son, & eventually my sister & brother. What I believe is at the core of who I am & how I view the world & the inherent value of all human life.

I'd never count myself so noble or righteous as to think that my western, limited scope from which I view the world is the only measure by which to value life. I believe others would be wise to adopt such humility as well.

But, that IS my biased opinion...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies