Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2009, 09:19 AM

4,465 posts, read 8,001,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by actonbell View Post
maybe not so much:
read the full report: Pew Global Attitudes Project: Happiness Is Increasing in Many Countries -- But Why?
and my favorite paragraph
Yes there is a difference between poor and poverty and very much a differences in the choices we make for ourselves.

Makes one wonder why a person would be so disgruntled by choices.

Suggest you read Maslow:

MASLOW'S HIERARCHY OF NEEDS

Comparisons of societies with social safety nets, and those, like ours, that do not are pretty useless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2009, 09:28 AM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,196 posts, read 5,844,425 times
the absurdity continues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geechie North View Post
180 off, and perhaps purposefully so.

What was clearly meant was that most Americans believe that most poor are minorities (not true, they are native-born "whites") thanks to the images from the corporate media and the twisted minds of Lee Atwater and Karl Rove (remember Reagan's "welfare momma in a cadillac"?) designed to prepetuate the racial stereotype.

Old 05-16-2009, 09:29 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,753,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
They do choose to be poor except for the ones with IQs below 70 which is a handful only.

If someone finishes high school, gets a job, marries before starting a family and limiting family size to the number of children they can support, they won't be permanently poor.
Ridiculous. My son finished high school had a job and married before starting a family. They had one child, who happened to be born with a long list of medical problems, most of which will be with him for his entire life. My daughter-in-law cannot work because she must spend all of her time caring for my grandson who is incapable of doing even the simplest of things most children can do for themselves. My son lost his job 2 years ago, when the auto plants started cutting employees. They are now separated, she still in one state, he here in this state. He has a job, which in the current economy is a miracle, but both of them are what is considered poor. He sends her part of every paycheck, which means he can't afford a place of his own, so he lives with me. (He's here because where she is there are NO jobs available.) He also gives me part of every paycheck to help out with the bills and the extra groceries. Now he might lose the job because his vehicle broke down, leaving him no way to get to the job, which is 30 miles away. Sure, he could use the bus - but that would require him to leave here at 3am, not getting home until about 8pm, thus having no time with which to look for another vehicle. And, should he find a vehicle, I'll have to dip into my savings to help him get it. I know that he would pay me back as soon as he can, but, in the mean time, I have to find some way to control my own spending so I don't have to further drain my savings.

The point is that just having a job and waiting for marriage to start a family in no way 'guarantees' that one will never slip into poverty.

Last edited by MsMcQ LV; 05-16-2009 at 09:36 AM.. Reason: additional comment

Old 05-16-2009, 09:31 AM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
have you been drinking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geechie North View Post
I see you are not familiar with US History:

Truman Library - Samuel P. Hayes Oral History Interview

Old 05-16-2009, 09:36 AM

what part of having kids is not a choice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
Ridiculous. My son finished high school had a job and married before starting a family. They had one child, who happened to be born with a long list of medical problems, most of which will be with him for his entire life. My daughter-in-law cannot work because she must spend all of her time caring for my grandson who is incapable of doing even the simplest of things most children can do for themselves. They are now separated, she still in one state, he here in this state. He has a job, which in the current economy is a miracle, but both of them are what is considered poor. He sends her part of every paycheck, which means he can't afford a place of his own, so he lives with me. (He's here because where she is there are NO jobs available.) He also gives me part of every paycheck to help out with the bills and the extra groceries. Now he might lose the job because his vehicle broke down, leaving him no way to get to the job, which is 30 miles away. Sure, he could use the bus - but that would require him to leave here at 3am, not getting home until about 8pm, thus having no time with which to look for another vehicle. And, should he find a vehicle, I'll have to dip into my savings to help him get it. I know that he would pay me back as soon as he can, but, in the mean time, I have to find some way to control my own spending so I don't have to further drain my savings.

The point is that just having a job and waiting for marriage to start a family in no way 'guarantees' that one will never slip into poverty.

Old 05-16-2009, 09:46 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,753,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalsay View Post
what part of having kids is not a choice?

What has that got to do with what I posted? My son was working, married and still in love with his wife when their son was born. Where did I ever say that having a child was not their choice? My whole point was that things change and not all of the changes are caused by choice. Sure wasn't my son's choice that Ford Motor did away with the position he had. Sure wasn't the choice of either of them that my grandson was born with so many physical and medical problems, making it impossible for her to work.

Old 05-16-2009, 11:55 AM

12,964 posts, read 13,679,366 times
The only avenue poor people have in this country to help them selves is to go to the welfare office and seek assistance. The places are called Social Rehabilitation Services. Our Government's policy of defining Poverty in America as a Social Problem is the problem.

Old 05-16-2009, 04:51 PM

7,923 posts, read 8,847,521 times
Quote:
Many do. In just about every country, it's the poor having the most babies, and having babies at very young ages like 13 years of age. In just about every country, finishing school, getting job skills, marrying and having a job before you begin to pop out babies will get you ahead and then all it takes is limiting family size to the number you can support.

It's a choice to drop out of school, it's a choice to not study, it's a choice to have sex at 11 or 12 years of age, it's a choice to fail to support the children you sire. It's a choice to have children out of wedlock and expect society to take care of them.
You talk as if everyone is intelligent enough to complete school or go to college. You think that everyone is the same. There are plenty of very troubled families out there. If you look at one of the runmners in the Vice President race last year, Sarah Palin, her Daughter and her family should know better but she got pregnant so what chance do children from overcrowded unloved families have?
This is NOT black and white and cannot be put down to people "wanting" or "choosing" to be poor. Life is not that simple.

Old 05-16-2009, 05:17 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times
Quote:
There are other options you know. You really only need 3 things, food including water, shelter, and clothing. You can find shelter in a cardboard box that someone has discarded, you can find clothing at the Salvation Army and rescue missions and you can find food behind the fast food places that they throw out -- still warm and wrapped, just because they made too much.
One should always work for a living...I've been homeless before, but at least I had a job, and the capacity to find new housing. Unfortunately, it usually takes three months rent as a downpayment. First, last, and a security deposit equal to one month's rent.

Old 05-16-2009, 05:19 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times
Poor vs. middle class? Guess what? $20K a year isn't middle class.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies