Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 05:00 PM

472 posts, read 1,544,607 times

Advertisements

Open Question:

How do you feel about spankings? Are they an appropriate rearing mechanism, or do they just instill violence into society?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2008, 05:03 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
The short answer is tht there are two kinds of spankers.
A) is a sociopath who genuinely takes pleasure in harming other people, physically and emotionally.
B) is a responsible parent, dedicated to teaching principles of human decency, who uses a swat as a message that in a battle of wills, mommy's way is going to win.

Do you want the same law to cover both of them, indiscriminately, with the same punishment for violation?

Old 09-07-2008, 05:07 PM

2,751 posts, read 5,364,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gradco2004 View Post
Open Question:

How do you feel about spankings? Are they an appropriate rearing mechanism, or do they just instill violence into society?
I'd say depends on who's doing the spanking! Ok, ok, seriously, when a parent spanks or beats a kid other than as a very last resort, what they're telling their children is that their just too stupid to be reasoned with. Not a good signal to send.

Old 09-07-2008, 05:11 PM

1,417 posts, read 1,157,467 times
My grandfather told me this story.. I don't know if its true or not. Turns out a man almost went to jail when he spanked his son. His son called the police and he said that he was being abused. The police told the father that he may no longer 'spank' his son. Years passed and one day this mans son murdered someone. The police came to the fathers house again and had a chat with what his son had done and 'blamed' it on the dad because of poor parenthood. He told the police "You told me I couldn't discipline my son without spanking him! How is it my fault!"

Old 09-07-2008, 05:14 PM

3,923 posts, read 3,647,284 times
Default Well, time outs definitely do not work!

I am a father of 2 and I can tell you there is really no substitute for a spanking when trying to discipline your child.

Personally, I have only had to spank either of my children once or twice in their lives. But those two times helped

them learn that when mom and dad say something, they mean it! I am sure there will be plenty of responses

saying spanking is bad. But you know what, those are the people with kids who throw temper tantrums in

Wal-Mart.

You've all seen it, kid laying in the floor screaming loud enough for the whole store to hear, and mom sitting beside

him going "Hush now, stop making all that noise." Now, if that child knew what discipline really was, all that mom

would have to say is "You better hush before I have to take you to the bathroom and pop your butt." It works

folks, and is far more effective than any other disciplinary measure I have seen put into action. Talk is cheap, and

kids know that. And once they know they can push and push with no real consequences the home is no longer

ruled by the parents. The kids are now in charge.

The whole idea that spanking is wrong is a major contributor to the way kids act today. They've never been

introduced to discipline or the concept of crime and punishment. They are allowed to run wild and do as they

please, with only the threat of their cell phone or TV priveleges being taken away. That just isn't enough to really

deter a child from doing the same thing all over again.

Now, with that being said, I will add that spanking is not always required. Children can be managed without

constant spanking, as long as they know the possibility is there for them to get one. Also, spanking is for the

child's rear end. Legs,arms,back,face, etc. are completely off limits! I also do not believe in using belts or any

other instrument of pain. A couple of good open hand pops on the butt is more than enough to let the child know

they have done something wrong and mom and dad mean business.

Last of all, just in case my words above didn't clarify this, I do not believe in beating a child. There is never, ever a

reason to use unnessecary force while dealing out punishment. There is no excuse for anyone who beats a child. A

spanking is just a wake up call. A beating is a disturbing display of violence which usually leaves a child scarred for

life. If not physically, then mentally. But, I myself was brought up with the fear of a spanking looming over all my

wrong doing. And you know what, a lot of bad decisions have been avoided because of that threat. Spanking is

not bad, and it is not the root of violence in society. Reckless idiots with no sense and no right to be raising a child

are the roots of violence in our society. Don't blame the hand, blame the one who wields it.

Old 09-07-2008, 05:29 PM

1,385 posts, read 3,006,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
The short answer is tht there are two kinds of spankers.
A) is a sociopath who genuinely takes pleasure in harming other people, physically and emotionally.
B) is a responsible parent, dedicated to teaching principles of human decency, who uses a swat as a message that in a battle of wills, mommy's way is going to win.

Do you want the same law to cover both of them, indiscriminately, with the same punishment for violation?
Well put

Old 09-07-2008, 05:29 PM

1,149 posts, read 2,514,656 times
Spanking... should it be illegal?

No!!!
I deserved every one I got.
(I never got beat!)
Thax...Mom and Grandma...
You made me understand at a young age, that there are
consequences to pay if you don't go by the rule's. It has made me a better person.

Old 09-07-2008, 05:44 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
I might add that in the hands of a caring responsible parent, a spanking does not cause a child pain (which he would get over anyway), but causes humiliation (which he will never forget). That can be a powerful tool in reinforcing behvior.

Even as an adult, mose people would gladly suffer some passing pain, rather than humiliation.

Old 09-07-2008, 05:47 PM

1,385 posts, read 3,006,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I might add that in the hands of a caring responsible parent, a spanking does not cause a child pain (which he would get over anyway), but causes humiliation (which he will never forget). That can be a powerful tool in reinforcing behvior.

Even as an adult, mose people would gladly suffer some passing pain, rather than humiliation.
I disagree. Emotional scars run much deeper, and cause more-long term damage.

Old 09-07-2008, 05:48 PM

375 posts, read 782,150 times
Quote:
Spanking... should it be illegal?
No. But breeding when you don't have the parental skills to care for another human being should be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies