Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think the Democrat Leaders in Congress intentionally tried to make the economy an issue for t
Of Course NOT 1 14.29%
No 2 28.57%
Yes 2 28.57%
The question has crossed my mind 0 0%
It's NOT passed them. They did the same thing with the War in Iraq 1 14.29%
Maybe... 1 14.29%
Not Sure. 0 0%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 01:11 AM

3,301 posts, read 6,325,314 times

Advertisements

In 2006, the U.S. Senate and House Started To Be Controled By The Democrat Party. Our economy Has NEVER Been The Same...

Do you think the Democrat Leaders in Congress intentionally tried to make the economy an issue for the 2008 Election?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2008, 03:26 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,252,946 times
In 1999 when Bill Clinton was in office a gallonn of gasoline was 98 cents at the pump. the cost had gone up thirty cents in six years. I could buy a 1/2 gallon of milk for ¢1.09,. cable cost $20 and my monthly bill for gas and lights averaged $150. A visit fo the doctors office was $35 and the monthly Rx was $900'/uarter. I was able to pay bills, save money and still have expendable income left over.

What has King George the Worst done for me?

The cost of a gallon of gas has increased $3.00. The cost of milk has double. Bread is over $2 a loaf. Utilities average $450. Cable is $80. The doctors office call is $175 and Rx is $3500 per quarter. After sevem years of George I cann't pay my bills, I cannot save, I have no expendable income and I may lose my house, I cannot work because my spouse is dying.

Democatic leaders in Congress??? Do you NOT understand there are enough Republicans to block Democrat inititive and they do? Or George does. He hasn't met a veto yet he doesn't like.

Old 09-09-2008, 04:50 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,297,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
In 1999 when Bill Clinton was in office a gallonn of gasoline was 98 cents at the pump. the cost had gone up thirty cents in six years.
I don't know where you are living where gasoline was 98¢/gal in 1999, but in our area, we haven't seen 98¢ gasoline since about 1993.

Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
I could buy a 1/2 gallon of milk for ¢1.09,. cable cost $20 and my monthly bill for gas and lights averaged $150. A visit fo the doctors office was $35 and the monthly Rx was $900'/uarter. I was able to pay bills, save money and still have expendable income left over.

What has King George the Worst done for me?

The cost of a gallon of gas has increased $3.00. The cost of milk has double. Bread is over $2 a loaf. Utilities average $450. Cable is $80. The doctors office call is $175 and Rx is $3500 per quarter. After sevem years of George I cann't pay my bills, I cannot save, I have no expendable income and I may lose my house, I cannot work because my spouse is dying.

Democatic leaders in Congress??? Do you NOT understand there are enough Republicans to block Democrat inititive and they do? Or George does. He hasn't met a veto yet he doesn't like.
President Bush (or any President, for that matter) cannot do anything about the price of gasoline or crude oil. It is purely market driven, and it is based on supply and demand.

Our current problem is the result of increased demand for crude by the world at large, and also because for over 30 years now Democrats and so-called "moderate" Republicans, kowtowing to the demands of radical leftists in this country, have prevented the further development of our own resources, thus effectively cutting us off from our own oil reserves. If we put vast amounts of known reserves "off limits" to drilling and production, and the world (including ourselves) demands more oil, the price is going to go up (supply vs. demand). I don't care which Party controls the White House.

This has a huge effect on the entire economy, as things are moved by trucks and other forms of transportation which need fuel.

Not only this, but when you look at the long list of things we use on a daily basis that are derived from petroleum, therefore also dependent on the price of crude oil (everything from plastics to cosmetics) you can see how the price of these items will also increase with the price of crude. Virtually everything in our lives today depends on crude oil.

Other factors affecting the price of your groceries are the increased use of corn for other than feed. The growing of corn for fuel is having a huge impact on the price of anything that depends on corn, either for feed (poultry, beef, pork) or food such as tortillas, corn oil, etc. Many farmers are turning to growing corn rather than other crops, and I have read reports of farmers getting out of the dairy business in favor of growing corn (there's your milk price) because of this demand for "bio fuels".

President Bush has not been wielding the veto pen enough, in my opinion. In fact, it has only been in the last two years as far as I can recall, that he has really used it at all. He should have been using it against all the out of control spending from his first term (much of that spending which he called for, I admit).

But it is the Democrat Party which has been in control for the last two and one half years, and they have raised the taxes on oil producers, which gets passed on to us as at the pump (It has to. That's just the way it works, as it is part of the cost of doing business).

Your personal problems, while sad, are not George Bush's fault. You bought the house (perhaps more than you could afford), and it is you who has to do what is necessary to provide a living for your family, which may include getting a new higher paying job, or at least increasing your worth to your company so that you may be promoted to a higher paying position. Staying in one job year after year virtually guarantees no income growth.

Last edited by nononsenseguy; 09-09-2008 at 05:05 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 09-09-2008, 04:59 AM

3,631 posts, read 10,231,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
I don't know where you are living where gasoline was 98¢/gal in 1999, but in our area, we haven't seen 98¢ gasoline since about 1993.
in Tennessee in 1999, gas was RARELY over $1.00. In fact, if it was over $1.00 we thought it was expensive.

I'm not going to get into any sort of transportation discussion, but the United States screwed up big time when its people sold their souls to the automobile and big oil.

Old 09-09-2008, 05:16 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,297,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernerdgirl View Post
in Tennessee in 1999, gas was RARELY over $1.00. In fact, if it was over $1.00 we thought it was expensive.

I'm not going to get into any sort of transportation discussion, but the United States screwed up big time when its people sold their souls to the automobile and big oil.
Well, an automobile is a pretty necessary thing though, wouldn't you say?

The term "Big Oil" gets used a lot, but what exactly does it mean? Usually it is used derogatorily, but without the oil companies, we wouldn't have most of the products we have today which enrich our lives (some will argue that term, I'm sure, as there are many who would rather we go back to living like the Amish!).

The oil companies are only trying to produce the products that we need, and they do a pretty remarkable job, given that they are hamstrung by a government that does everything possible to prevent them from producing that product with tons of regulations, and red tape that takes years before one drop of oil can be pumped, to say nothing of being prevented from even getting at most of the resource itself, forcing them to import it at higher cost.

Old 09-09-2008, 07:39 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,761,940 times
Our economy started this speculative boom with Ronnie Raygun and continued, even through the Clinton years, with the inevitable crash landing on our backs. The Democrats gaining a minimal, but not veto proof, majority in Congress had no effect. Our government policy is still controlled by the travesty of government dominated by neocon Republicans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies