Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How long will Republican be the minority in Congress
4 years or less 20 52.63%
8 years 7 18.42%
12 years 2 5.26%
15 years or more 9 23.68%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 06:47 AM

2,159 posts, read 2,583,981 times

Advertisements

Just curious - how long do folks think that the Republican Party will be in minority status in Congress - that is - be minorities in BOTH the House and Senate???

I personally think it will be at least a generation (25 years) for them to regain either the House or Senate.

They have pretty much lost the youth vote... and the black vote... and independents are turning against them in greater and greater numbers...

Right now they are a Southeast/Midwest party that only has appeal in Bible-Belt states...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2009, 06:55 AM

6,233 posts, read 9,483,407 times
Quote:
Originally posted by mrbob
Just curious - how long do folks think that the Republican Party will be in minority status in Congress???

I personally think it will be at least a generation (25 years) for them to regain either the House or Senate.

They have pretty much lost the youth vote... and the black vote... and independents are turning against them in greater and greater numbers...

Right now they are a Southeast/Midwest party that only has appeal in Bible-Belt states...
Depends on what you mean by "minority party". You can win an election yet still have your ideas be in the minority. Like in 1992 when the Dems won. Clinton was not liberal, and though he got some stuff passed, he was still operating in the shadow of Reagan. In that sense the Dems were still the minority even if they had power. If you want to go further back, look at Eisenhower. Sure he was a successful Republican, but did he really undo the New Deal? No. So that said....

I think the GOP can get their act together in about ten years, but it will be a good generation at least before they can become the "party of ideas" again--where their ideas can dominate the ideological debate in this country. But at that point, the Republicans will be more moderate than they are now. Minority parties always become more moderate when they're in the minority long enough. Again, look at Eisenhower/Nixon and Clinton.

Just my .02 cents

Old 03-14-2009, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
Depends on what you mean by "minority party". You can win an election yet still have your ideas be in the minority. Like in 1992 when the Dems won. Clinton was not liberal, and though he got some stuff passed, he was still operating in the shadow of Reagan. In that sense the Dems were still the minority even if they had power. If you want to go further back, look at Eisenhower. Sure he was a successful Republican, but did he really undo the New Deal? No. So that said....

I think the GOP can get their act together in about ten years, but it will be a good generation at least before they can become the "party of ideas" again--where their ideas can dominate the ideological debate in this country. But at that point, the Republicans will be more moderate than they are now. Minority parties always become more moderate when they're in the minority long enough. Again, look at Eisenhower/Nixon and Clinton.

Just my .02 cents
By 'Minority Party' I mean that they hold under 50% of the seats in the House and Senate...

Old 03-14-2009, 07:20 AM

1,319 posts, read 1,617,746 times
At least a generation - they have so screwed college students by reducing aid to universities and grants/loans to students that I can't imagine any in the current college generation ever voting for them...

Once Obama's policies start to take effect and turn around this economic train wreck that the Republicans gave us - I think they will be absolute toast for at least 10 years...

People will see them as the 'ostructionist' party and devoid of any credible ideas of their own.

Old 03-14-2009, 08:35 AM

2,265 posts, read 3,733,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HubbleRules View Post
At least a generation - they have so screwed college students by reducing aid to universities and grants/loans to students that I can't imagine any in the current college generation ever voting for them...

Once Obama's policies start to take effect and turn around this economic train wreck that the Republicans gave us - I think they will be absolute toast for at least 10 years...

People will see them as the 'ostructionist' party and devoid of any credible ideas of their own.
Even democrats are concerned that if the economy doesn't turn around by the 2010 election they may lose a lot of seats in one or both houses of congress. They need to consult the city data political strategists.

Old 03-14-2009, 08:45 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,315,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbob View Post
Just curious - how long do folks think that the Republican Party will be in minority status in Congress - that is - be minorities in BOTH the House and Senate???

Dream on. History is repeating itself. I predict 2010 the Democrats will be back in the minority, at the rate they are going with their leftist agenda, propelled by Obama.

Some Democrats are already getting nervous.

Old 03-14-2009, 08:46 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,628,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HubbleRules View Post
Those are some high hopes you have there. LOL

Old 03-14-2009, 08:52 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,928,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbob View Post

They are definitely in disarray right now. I suspect it will be at least 8 years, if not more. They went away from their base and conservative values. George Bush spent like a drunken Sailor (no offense to you Sailors out there), and did a lot of harm to the party.

Old 03-14-2009, 09:20 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,877,697 times
When the inflation rate skyrockets and people see that the rich aren't going to pay for everything they will want change again.Saw this after the 70's recession but it probabaly will be worse because of the massive goverament spending that has to be paid back;so many will be deep in debt after the recession with no easy credit and many areas of the countriy will not recover for decades as companies get smaller or disappear that are the main employers.

Old 03-14-2009, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
When the inflation rate skyrockets and people see that the rich aren't going to pay for everything they will want change again.Saw this after the 70's recession but it probabaly will be worse because of the massive goverament spending that has to be paid back;so many will be deep in debt after the recession with no easy credit and many areas of the countriy will not recover for decades as companies get smaller or disappear that are the main employers.
Most intelligent people will see that any adverse economic effects over the next several years are the fault of the terrible mismanagement of the economy by Bush and his minions in Congress.

People know that this economic mess is the fault of Dubya and the Republicans...

Spin to your heart's content - every national poll says you are dead wrong...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies