Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 10:23 PM

260 posts, read 843,314 times

Advertisements

During the 2004 Presidential election only 55.3% of all eligible Americans chose to exercise their right to vote. I don't even want to think about what the voter turnout stats are for elections at the local and state levels. Given that so many Americans choose not to vote, I'm assuming there must be some on this forum who don't vote. Could you please tell me (and everyone else) why you choose not to vote? I'm not looking to chastise anybody, I just want to know your reasons for not voting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2008, 08:13 AM

3,454 posts, read 7,412,542 times
lol you're not gonna get many responses here, I don't think.

Most people who are active on a political/controversy forum I'd expect, would at least be politically aware and have an opinion.

I'd go to a more general forum and ask, you'd get more answers I think!

Old 08-25-2008, 04:01 AM

8 posts, read 21,574 times
Default Not Voting Is An Ethical Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneworld25 View Post
During the 2004 Presidential election only 55.3% of all eligible Americans chose to exercise their right to vote. I don't even want to think about what the voter turnout stats are for elections at the local and state levels. Given that so many Americans choose not to vote, I'm assuming there must be some on this forum who don't vote. Could you please tell me (and everyone else) why you choose not to vote? I'm not looking to chastise anybody, I just want to know your reasons for not voting.
Money rules politics and the people be damned. There is not one single candidate that can a thing for the public by the very nature of his avocation. He got into office because he played the money, graft game and took the money to campaign form the corporations that offered it and then when the election came, it was rigged by redistricting and not counting or double counting of votes. Voting will never yield a good candidate, they are all corrupted and love wars. Both parties are the same with different names, why not just call them demorepublicrats?

Old 08-25-2008, 04:53 AM

634 posts, read 1,420,542 times
I asked a guy in town why he stop voting. His responce to me was...

...'' they who vote decide nothing.....they who count the votes decide everything ''.

I sometimes wonder.

Old 08-25-2008, 06:29 AM

350 posts, read 653,999 times
Not a citizen.

Old 08-28-2008, 05:20 AM

1,928 posts, read 5,168,518 times
I've voted in every presidential election since I was able to. As the elections have come and gone, I'm getting to be of the opinion that it doesn't seem to matter who we elect. The choice seems to come down to the lesser of 2 evils.

For 2008, you will have a choice of continuing the last 8 years or 'having a change' not knowing what the change will be. I wish we had more and better choices - it's pretty sad. I'm actually thinking about not voting this year or voting for some type of 3rd party candidate.

As for state and local elections, I live in Illinois, so the political corruption both on the Democratic and Republican side is legendary. You only replace one set of cronies with another who talk 'reform'.

Old 08-28-2008, 07:06 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,811,485 times
I have voted in every election I have been eligible to participate in. this ranges from my condominium board of directors to US presidential elections. I consider it to be my right, privilege and duty to vote.

Old 08-28-2008, 07:09 AM

4,173 posts, read 6,689,554 times
I vote but am finding it difficult to do so this year. I need to vote for someone who is socially liberal and fiscally conservative. Neither party fits the bill - especially on the fiscally conservative part. Dems rob the middle class and give to the poor, Reps rob the middle class and give to the rich.

Other big issue is that these people in the House have a huge (85%+??) re-election rate. I remember we used to laugh at Russians when their communist system had 90%+ re-election rate. Democracy is not just being able to freely call someone an a$$hole - it is a system via which a society improves. Given the many problems we face every election cycle (healthcare, falling education standards, deficits) - things do not improve unless you are a company with a lobbyist. People count less. Same people get re-elected. Then we wonder why things are not improving.

Old 08-28-2008, 07:17 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,022,277 times
I live in a firmly red state. The election result for this state's electors is a landslide, it is not in doubt, it is a foregone conclusion. The only thing my vote can do is to show one more endorsement for the electoral process, which stinks, and has now, for this election alone, been stinking up the place for about 22 months. This is an up-or-down vote for a process that is an insult to the intelligence and the integrity of Americans and the whole world, and I will not stand up.

Also, in US Congressional elections, about 10-15% of all races are won by an unopposed incumbent, which disenfranchises about a tenth of all voters as surely as if they were Diebold machines. The last time I voted, I looked at my ballot to vote for my House district, and found exactly one name on the ballot. I was given the same choice that people had when they voted for Stalin or Saddam. My fifth grade teacher promised that things like do not happen in the United States of America, but she lied. Sure enough, there I was, looking a ballot that had only one candidate on it. I walked out of the voting booth and never went back.

Now, if I live in a firmly red state and my Congressional candidate is the only name on the ballot, and there is no visible or tangible evidence of the fact that I had voted on big brother's touch screen anyway, somebody explain to me why I should humor them. I protest, the same way I protest McDonalds and Disney and prime-time reality shows. I don't patronize them. I consider it my right, my privilege and my duty to protest.

Last edited by jtur88; 08-28-2008 at 07:30 AM..

Old 08-28-2008, 07:21 AM

9,059 posts, read 12,976,623 times
I vote for candidates, not empty suit party representatives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies