Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 09:00 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,412,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesster View Post
Who the hell cares and what difference does it make?
I do. We were about to buy a pretty expensive piece of equipment but are scared out of the market right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2008, 09:05 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,210,109 times
I believe the staff members will be working, including those of the jewish members. I don't think time will really be lost here, the staffers are the primary folks doing the work the next day or so anyway. The members will still be participating.

Old 09-29-2008, 09:10 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,936,034 times
I wonder if the Muslims are learning from this that they can attack Israel on a Jewish holiday, and the Israelis would be unable to defend themselves. Just as the Jews in Congress, faced with what Glenn Beck calls the most serious decision we have ever needed to make in the history of this country, are refusing to defend the nation against a rolling chaotic crisis of our own making. I'm not endorsing Glenn Beck, but really, this is a pretty serious matter that requires the attention of people who were sent to Congress to do more than chant over a menorah in a time of national crisis.

Old 09-29-2008, 09:20 PM

1,800 posts, read 5,716,789 times
I don't give a flip if it's Christmas morning...get back to work on a better plan!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-29-2008, 09:28 PM

10,210 posts, read 15,912,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
Both Houses of congress are suspending work for 2 days because of a Jewish Holiday. I understand that the Jewish members can't work...but what about the rest??

There will be no official meetings or work done on this economic situation until Thursday!!
I thouht the Jewish holiday was one day?? I went ot high school in an area with a high Jewish population we got the day off from school, but only 1 day!

God help us the day when Congress gets Cinco de Mayo off....now that will be end of America as we know it.

Old 09-29-2008, 09:37 PM

3,320 posts, read 4,127,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
This brings back memories of Sandy Koufax refusing to pitch the opening game of the World Series.

Speaking of Baseball, the Chicago Cubs once played the A's in the World series. The Cubs were poised to tie the series in game 4, witha 8-0 lead.. The A 's scored ten runs in the seventh. In game 5, the Cubs took a 2-0 lead into the bottom of the ninth, and lost the series when the A's scored 3. Two weeks later, the stock market crashed, October 28, 1929.
The Cubs must win the world series this year, its been 100 years, the planets are in proper alignment. If the Cubs win, the nation will be spared, elsewise we take one last ride in the national SUV into the lake of fire.

My poor old grandmother died in 1980 from heart failure brought on by chronic cub defeat syndrome,

Go Cubs !!

Old 09-29-2008, 09:43 PM

564 posts, read 892,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I wonder if the Muslims are learning from this that they can attack Israel on a Jewish holiday, and the Israelis would be unable to defend themselves. Just as the Jews in Congress, faced with what Glenn Beck calls the most serious decision we have ever needed to make in the history of this country, are refusing to defend the nation against a rolling chaotic crisis of our own making. I'm not endorsing Glenn Beck, but really, this is a pretty serious matter that requires the attention of people who were sent to Congress to do more than chant over a menorah in a time of national crisis.
You get more rep points-oops it says I can't right now,,,owed

Jews make up 2% of the population?, but 13% of congress. A little lopsided. Almost all of the Jews that represent NY voted YES for the bill-I mean BAILOUT. All that money going to NY, what a pork project indeed!-go figure

Old 09-29-2008, 10:37 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,108,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mofford View Post
The Cubs must win the world series this year, its been 100 years, the planets are in proper alignment. If the Cubs win, the nation will be spared, elsewise we take one last ride in the national SUV into the lake of fire.

My poor old grandmother died in 1980 from heart failure brought on by chronic cub defeat syndrome,

Go Cubs !!

If the Cubs don't win this year I'm giving up....until next year anyhow. My beloved Dad was a rabid Cub fan and was still saying; "Wait until next year" until he died at 92 years of age. My mom was almost as rabid and was waiting when she died at 96. I figure that now they both have a good view from heaven and will be rooting them on this year.

Old 09-29-2008, 10:41 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,108,800 times
I live in Wisconsin and both of my senators, Russ Feingold and Herb Kohl, are Jewish. I love them both dearly but I have already emailed them to tell them how disappointed I am in their aye vote today. I don't get it. They both are usually great senators and honest as the day is long. I'd stake almost anything on their honesty. So I don't get why they voted as they did but I'm sure I'll hear from them with their reasons. Right now though I'm really ticked off at them.

Old 09-29-2008, 10:43 PM

5,294 posts, read 5,237,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
Both Houses of congress are suspending work for 2 days because of a Jewish Holiday. I understand that the Jewish members can't work...but what about the rest??

There will be no official meetings or work done on this economic situation until Thursday!!

If tomorrow was Christmas Day or Independence Day, I would still expect them to meet and do their job to come up with a fix for this economy. No one else, including gov't workers in banks or the post office will take tomorrow and wed off. Religious beliefs are supposed to be separate from gov't. The country needs them now, their paid hundreds of thousands of dollars to do a job that they normally only have to be there for half the year, but when there is an emergency like now, no religious observance should keep them away. Like one said, they don't get time off for stuff like this in the military. Only reason a congressman or senator shouldn't be there now is if they were hospitalized w/ some illness or injury, or an immediate family member was, or they had a death of a family member and had to attend the funeral.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies