Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 12:55 PM

485 posts, read 1,839,678 times

Advertisements

My 81 year old Mother in Law just got some very expensive Heart Surgery. Because of her age and financial situation, it was all paid for by the taxpayers. She is a nice enough woman but not really much of a value to society anymore. She never worked and basically just sits in a chair all day, eats and watches television. She is about 300 pounds.

Maybe in the very near future our society will determine that our taxpayers can not afford to offer this life saving medical care to people like her. As the number of expensive tests continue to grow, prescription drugs get more expensive and expensive life saving technology is used to keep people going for years, we just will not be able to afford to keep 81 year old retired people like my Mother In Law alive.

When will this happen and how will it be done ethically, morally, and politically?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2008, 01:10 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,808,396 times
Why not.....taxpayers are paying for the sick in Iraq, Kuwait, Saudi, Georgia and list goes on. Why not your grandmother

Old 10-15-2008, 01:12 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,936,034 times
No. She is not rich enough to afford life, which in America is sold to the highest bidder.

Old 10-15-2008, 01:19 PM

485 posts, read 1,839,678 times
Some off topic answers so far. I would still like to hear from people who have ideas on how America is going to cut Medicare Spending in the future when our budget deficit gets so high that it really starts impacting our economy.

In ten or twenty years will someone like my Mother in Law have her $100,000 Surgery paid for by the tax payers?

Old 10-15-2008, 01:25 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,947,199 times
Do I think we should be forced to help her through taxes? No... but I can tell you that in many situations like this, simply asking for help from the community does wonders. I have seen "donations" in situations like this be it monetary, time or skill do miracles through the good nature of people who "choose" to do so.

Some people will help if asked and those same people will deny when forced.

Old 10-15-2008, 01:26 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,936,034 times
In 10 or 20 years the world will be changed a lot less than you think it will. We will still be in deinal about almost all difficult truths, including the simple fact that I already stated in my first reply: Life will still be sold to the highest bidder. The only difference is that that same surgery will cost a millioin dollars.

Nomander, are you telling us that you have seen $100,000 put, a nickel at a time, into a mayonnaise jar on the counter at the convenience store to pay for the surgery for a pre-existing condition for some American? (This humiliating begging only occurs in America.) And this largesse is so reliable that I never need to worry about any future medical expenses as long as there are glass jars and convenience stores?

Old 10-15-2008, 01:27 PM

5,167 posts, read 11,435,254 times
Medicare and healthcare in general, should focus more on preventing illness. Educate people on eating right, that alone would save millions. More than half of the cost could be avoided if people lived a healthier lifestyle... eating well and exercise being the two most important.

Eventually, if things keep going as they are, they will probably have to deny certain procedures to those above a certain age.

forum rules, please read them

Old 10-15-2008, 01:29 PM

5,167 posts, read 11,435,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
In 10 or 20 years the world will be changed a lot less than you think it will. We will still be in deinal about almost all difficult truths, including the simple fact that I already stated in my first reply: Life will still be sold to the highest bidder. The only difference is that that same surgery will cost a millioin dollars.
I agree.
Greed seems to be the downfall of humanity.
It's the devil inside....

forum rules, please read them

Old 10-15-2008, 01:29 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,165,026 times
She is legally entitled to Medicare regardless of her age, abilities or cost. I don't have a problem with it but I understand your point.
What I do have a problem with is when younger people are also in need of medical care and can't get it due to being uninsured or not qualifying for Medicaid because their employer offers it but they can't afford the family plan. This is the area which needs to seriously be addressed. Same is true for dental care. If people got proper preventive or early health care when they were young adults, perhaps they wouldn't be such a drain on the system once they got older.

Interesting topic.

Old 10-15-2008, 01:35 PM

4,173 posts, read 6,685,404 times
OP - a truly interesting topic. Some of the comments about exercise and lifestyle can also be extended to proper innoculations - we can save tons of money this way too.

I had read somewhere that a disproportionate amount of medical expenses on a person are in the last few years of his/her life. These resources, if administered earlier, would be much more effective. Money is limited for all of us. The solutions are going to be very tough and probably unfair to many.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies