Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 08:38 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,479,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
Not true at all. No member of a Congressional staff may be paid more than the base pay for members of Congress/Senators.
Limits are to the amount that can be charged back directly to the Member's Personal Staff Allowance. Does not limit what a staffer may make through other accounts, through other positions on the Hill, through other positions in the Member's organization, or from such outside professional opportunities as might arise...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2008, 01:15 PM

290 posts, read 524,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Limits are to the amount that can be charged back directly to the Member's Personal Staff Allowance. Does not limit what a staffer may make through other accounts, through other positions on the Hill, through other positions in the Member's organization, or from such outside professional opportunities as might arise...
How does that differ from congressional pay? The original comparison should be apples to apples base pay vs base pay or total compensation vs total compensation.

Old 10-21-2008, 01:30 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,852,058 times
you are forgetting all the benefits. they don't even have to pay for their own cars in congress. they can lease the car of their choice at tax payer expense. we also get the bill for the gas as well as the insurance.

Old 10-21-2008, 01:38 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,789,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
you are forgetting all the benefits. they don't even have to pay for their own cars in congress. they can lease the car of their choice at tax payer expense. we also get the bill for the gas as well as the insurance.
Yep.

I think they should pay for all of it, considering all that money they make.
I would much rather they live in on about 50 thousand.

Old 10-21-2008, 01:39 PM

oh, you think they can survive on $170k for a part time job? woe is them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveTodayLez08 View Post
Yep.

Old 10-21-2008, 01:42 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,789,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
oh, you think they can survive on $170k for a part time job? woe is them!
I could LIVE well on 35,000 a year.

Old 10-21-2008, 01:43 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,655,954 times
Quote:
Yep.

I am no fan of Congress, but 50K to maintain two residences is just not sufficient.........

Old 10-21-2008, 01:44 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,655,954 times
Quote:
I could LIVE well on 35,000 a year.
Not in Washington, you couldn't.....

Old 10-21-2008, 01:47 PM

1,775 posts, read 6,356,643 times
They get a special tax exemption for maintaining a residence in the DC area. Plenty of them live in group houses because they're only there when in session. I know Chuck Schumer lives in a group house with George Miller, Dick Durbin and a few others. No one goes into that business for the paycheck. Most of them took huge pay cuts to get that job.

Thomas Sowell had a great column a few years ago in which he suggested they should all get $1 million per year, but then be barred from ever raising money for reelection. Think about it. If they made $1 million, but still lived on $169k, per year, they'd easily have enough saved up for each reelection, they'd not be able to promise any favors to supporters or lobbyists in exchange for campaign donations, they'd do their jobs fulltime instead of raising money all the time, it would be a drop in the bucket of the federal budget and, it would encourage them to take the money and retire instead of being permanent politicians.

Old 10-21-2008, 01:49 PM

oh, yes you could. I lived just fine in the NOVA area on that, and less than that. you couldn't own a house in DC, but that's why they have the metro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil's Dad View Post
Not in Washington, you couldn't.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies