Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2008, 10:27 AM

16 posts, read 37,387 times

Advertisements

The last time I checked I didn't have any programs, grants, funds, pageants, or months declared specifically for whites. Isn't unfair treatment due to someone's race, rasicm? I just think if people really wanted to be treated equally, then let's be equal. No benefits for either race. I don't understand why we are still trying to make up for something that happened before any of us were even alive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2008, 10:56 AM

5,407 posts, read 7,795,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshSov1 View Post
The last time I checked I didn't have any programs, grants, funds, pageants, or months declared specifically for whites. Isn't unfair treatment due to someone's race, rasicm? I just think if people really wanted to be treated equally, then let's be equal. No benefits for either race. I don't understand why we are still trying to make up for something that happened before any of us were even alive.
You did not check too closely. There are scholarships and grants and pageants and months declared for many different ethnic groups, including primarily Caucasian groups.

Old 10-29-2008, 11:37 AM

432 posts, read 1,665,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
If people would learn how to spell I wouldn't have to do that. What kind of pathetic person is so lazy they can't type out the word "you?"
Its not out of Lazyness Honey, I Just Do not feel like it.

U UNDERSTAND!!!

DO U FEEL GOOD NOW!!!

Old 10-29-2008, 11:38 AM

432 posts, read 1,665,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbledeez View Post
Absolutely. Big time. A white girl dating a black guy in a small town back in 1989 didn't go over too well. I played sports and took advanced classes. Good student, stayed out of trouble......and then.....
Well, my friends abandoned me. My coaches benched me. My teachers suspended me. My parents disowned me. My brothers lectured me. Black girls wanted to fight me. Everybody liked talking s"*t about me. I was simply disregarded.

I wouldn't change it for the world. I learned the most valuable life lessons at any early age.

I hope yoy guys are married now and have a wonderful family. Stick it to the Haters!!!

Old 10-29-2008, 12:02 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,207,220 times
It was more difficult for me to get into college because I am white. If we want equality, why can't we just take the box where you fill in your race off of applications? Same with sex...I say leave name, gender and race off of applications, so the first time the college (or company) knows your gender or race is after they deceded to accept you to the school (or hire you for the company).

I am sure someone would have a problem with this attitude though

Old 10-29-2008, 12:03 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,170,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by affi View Post
Its not out of Lazyness Honey, I Just Do not feel like it.

U UNDERSTAND!!!

DO U FEEL GOOD NOW!!!
No, I weep for the future. Fortunately I don't have to live in the US.

Old 10-29-2008, 12:20 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,023,210 times
As a caucasian female who grew up in an area that was predominantly black & latino, I experience some funny looks and was snubbed by some ignorant folks. I've even been called a honky before. Although many folks I encountered were accepting, I never did feel comfortable in that area because of standing out.

I recalled a time in high school (that was predominently black and latino) where I had this friend who was black. After being friends with her for a while, she begain to ignore me and not be as friendly. Finally in our senior year, she told me the reason that she stopped hanging out with me was because she was teased for being my friend. That really hurt a lot.

Whenever possible, I prefer to live in an area that is diverse so no one ethnic group will stand out.

Old 10-29-2008, 12:22 PM

8,176 posts, read 18,539,736 times
I usually deal with it on a daily basis...but have learned to make it a learning experience for either myself or the offender.

I'll ask right out why they said the things they said. I make them explain.

I was told just yesterday that I didn't let someone cross in front of me because they were black. No I replied, I didn't let them cross because there were three other lanes of traffic and cars were approaching rapidly. Thus I saved them..then I asked if I were black would they have made the accusation. The answer was no.

I don't get mad, I get frustrated but not mad.

Old 10-29-2008, 12:41 PM

2,631 posts, read 5,456,811 times
Quote:
yeah, i hate internet acronyms and emoticon smilies and crap like that. but, i'm sure that some people hate the fact that i don't capitalize my sentances too. so, whatever.

as far as the topic, people all over the world, in every culture, in every position of advantage or disadvantage within every society have been discriminated against. doesn't matter if it is because of religion, race, color, gender, social status, financial status (the last two being synonymous in some areas), etc, everyone has been discriminated against at one point or another, whether you recognized and admitted it or not.

what do you do with it? get angry? get even? ignore it?

all of those answers just serve to perpetuate it. here are some better answers: getting educated; helping to educate others; socializing with other people; being proactive in your community. there are many things that we can do to stop the fear and lack of understanding that breed racism and any other form of discrimination, but they require effort, time, and some benevolence, and those are some of the things that people least want to sacrifice these days.

Old 10-29-2008, 01:10 PM

8,176 posts, read 18,539,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post

No it's really.....Fortunately I don't have to live in the US but thank God everyday that I do.
I even have the right to knitpick over something important like if someones writes "U" instead of "you".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies