Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 08:50 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,380,609 times

Advertisements

Unwed Catholic school teacher fired over pregnancy

This seems a bit Draconian to me, what if the teacher was raped? Also, would a male teacher, if he knocked up his girlfriend also be discharged?

I guess not using birth control will get you fired from your job. She should have gone and had an abortion, I guess...

Yes, we all know about keeping your legs crossed, that obviously did not work here...if she had consensual sex, which, we don't know, but we do know, she is pregnant, and fired. Even though she was a good teacher, as stated in the article.

What do you think?

Last edited by jasper12; 02-05-2014 at 08:51 PM.. Reason: Edit

Old 02-05-2014, 08:53 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,333,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post

This seems a bit Draconian to me, what if the teacher was raped? Also, would a male teacher, if he knocked up his girlfriend also be discharged?

I guess not using birth control will get you fired from your job. She should have gone and had an abortion, I guess...

Yes, we all know about keeping your legs crossed, that obviously did not work here...if she had consensual sex, which, we don't know, but we do know, she is pregnant, and fired. Even though she was a good teacher, as stated in the article.

What do you think?
Probably not. Everyone knows that women are guiltier than men.

Old 02-05-2014, 09:05 PM

38,647 posts, read 26,398,078 times
Quote:

What do you think?

Let's review:

Doesn't have to exercise self-control.

Doesn't have to use contraceptives.

Doesn't have to honor the commitment she made to the school, her students and their families.

Does have to ****.

Does have to get pregnant.

Does have to teach at a Catholic school.

Old 02-05-2014, 10:50 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,173,562 times
I think she worked for a private religious school and that is part of the package. Don't like it, work elsewhere.

Old 02-06-2014, 03:50 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,680,438 times
Shaela Evenson "made a willful decision to violate the terms of her contract,"

Seems pretty easy to understand. What's to discuss?

Old 02-06-2014, 04:30 AM

10,031 posts, read 15,683,188 times
I can think of 2 examples where men have been fired in my state: Massachusetts Catholic school fires teachers for out-of-wedlock pregnancy - UPI.com

Roman Catholic Blog: Catholic Teacher Fired After Fathering Child Out of Wedlock

Old 02-06-2014, 06:59 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,983,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Shaela Evenson "made a willful decision to violate the terms of her contract,"

Seems pretty easy to understand. What's to discuss?
Yep, pretty plain and simple!
As a Navy man said to me many years ago, "That's the f*****' ya get for the f*****' ya got!"

Old 02-06-2014, 07:18 AM

10,237 posts, read 6,327,985 times
Back in the 90s a married, male teacher with 4 kids was fired after he got a vasectomy. I have no idea how the school found out but he violated the "morals contract" for sterilization. The students walked out in protest over this. The parents refused to pay their tuition until the teacher was rehired. It got a lot of very bad local publicity back in the 90s.

They interviewed one mother on TV. Why are all the schools closing? Where are all the CHILDREN for these schools? Where are all the SIBLINGS of the students in this school? PARENTS are using birth control to limit the size of their families. Fire US?

The teacher was re-hired and this school did away with the morals clause in the teachers contract. I searched the Net to see if I could find anything on this, but unfortunately couldn't. Hmmm.

Old 02-06-2014, 07:28 AM

59,138 posts, read 27,349,464 times
Quote:

What do you think?
Why do some people jump to unsubstantiated conclusions? What if, what if, what if. Find out the "what ifs and come back.

Old 02-06-2014, 07:31 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,231,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Probably not. Everyone knows that women are guiltier than men.
Not guiltier, equally guilty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies