Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 10:06 AM

1,718 posts, read 2,427,734 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xotik View Post
Well some feel that the 9/11 attacks partly was because this country is a safe haven for Jews of Israel. Extremists hate that America is safe haven for many...
Then they are, frankly, ill-informed. While that may play a tiny part of it, one actually has to go back and look at the history of our foreign policies to truly understand the hate. In the big picture, being a safe haven barely rates a blip on the radar.

Quote:
How about every country around Israel wants to destroy them, one big thing is because they're not muslim. Now add in the fact that Israel has nukes and no one around them does BUT are working towards it.
If we stopped all support that may just tell the middle east (especially Iran) that Israel is fair game and if you think Israel won't use EVERYTHING in their arsinal to stop annihlation you're kidding yourself.
Back in gulf war one when Saddam was lobbing missles who do you think stopped Israel from responding? How about when Hamas and the PLO have done their little deeds, who exactly do you think restrains Israel from really responding hard?
Has Israel made some mistakes? Sure just like every nation has but every other nation is not surrounded by nations that wish to see their distruction just because of their religon...
I think Israel's religion is a convenient fall guy that all who dislike Israel get lumped in with. It's true some dislike their religion but that is not the sole cause of all the problems by any stretch of the imagination.

And we don't just support Israel we pay for their country at this point. Without us those that hate them wouldn't have to do a thing because they wouldn't be able to survive anyway.

Yes, we restrain Israel to a point but doesn't that say something? Israel in their short history has a more agressive military policy then we do - yes, yes I know they have to do so and all that jazz but I am tired of playing big brother for all these countries who are helping to create the messes they then turn to us for help in; Georgia comes to mind.

One more time, people that want to see Israel's destruction do not feel that way solely because of their religion. The hatred many feel there is, again, heavily influenced by the history of the country, and our and other countries unquestioning support thereof.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2008, 10:10 AM

4,280 posts, read 11,324,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cohdane View Post
Fundamentalist Christians are effecting our policy in the Middle East.
Agree.

I am a Presbyterian and am fairly certain that most 'Christians' do not follow this mindset. I believe this is popular with Fundamentalists and maybe Pentacostal sects, those who believe in an End Times or Dispensationalism popularized by John Nelson Darby.

The Apostle Paul makes it very clear in the New Testament that the covenant was broken with all who did not believe, and is now established with all who will believe.

Old 10-30-2008, 10:14 AM

3,326 posts, read 5,346,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post
Because if they fall.. the world will follow suit. read a freakin history book.

You must mean read the bible which is your bible not mine.

There is no history book which saids anything about supporting Israel nor any country and certainly doesn't say if Israel falls the world falls.

You are confusing history book with bible.

Old 10-30-2008, 10:19 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,310,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xotik View Post
Israeli's invest LOTS of money in this country. When I was living in New York, you couldn't find a business or building that wasn't owned by Jewish. They are a powerful force down on Wall street, are just powerful in this country and feed our greed, it's as simple as that!

We have to be a friend to Israel if we want to remain rich and powerful...
What?
You have to understand that Israeli is not synonymous with Jewish.
We provide more than enough money to Israel, we build them military bases, etc.

Xotik, your anti-semitism is showing.
I'm no fan of Israel, but you're very confused.
You might want to try to understand that because you're jewish does not mean that you're Israeli, nor does being Israeli mean that you're jewish.

Old 10-30-2008, 10:23 AM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,120,443 times
I do not understand how, when a small nation is surrounded by larger that want to see them exterminated from the earth, you expect them to be anything but well armed and very protectionist. Some of you are just too young to remember when the Jews were NOT in a position to protect themselves. Never again.

Old 10-30-2008, 10:28 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,424,109 times
If you don't know why we help Israel....da*n. I just don't know what to say. *shaking head* Pathetic. Are they not teaching World History anymore in school?

Old 10-30-2008, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
I do not understand how, when a small nation is surrounded by larger that want to see them exterminated from the earth, you expect them to be anything but well armed and very protectionist. Some of you are just too young to remember when the Jews were NOT in a position to protect themselves. Never again.
Protectionist is one thing but the fact is they couldn't protect themselves without us. Is that a bad thing? Not necessarily but perhaps it should dictate a little less drum banging and a few more attempts at other avenues.

And while I normally agree with you on most issues, I've grown jaded to the phrase never again when what the world obviously means is never again when it comes to Jews. We don't however do a dang thing until we have to (if we ever do at all) when genocide is been committed in other places since the Holocaust. That then lessens the meaning of never again, imo.

Quote:
If you don't know why we help Israel....da*n. I just don't know what to say. *shaking head* Pathetic. Are they not teaching World History anymore in school?
I don't think anyone here is not aware of the world history on the issue. But knowing the history doesn't and shouldn't necessarily mean unequivocal support of the present.

Old 10-30-2008, 10:37 AM

5,407 posts, read 7,801,338 times
Bottom line is nbobody can provide a Real Answer about why we have to continue to give up so much money to them. A lot of Gasps and Shock and Read Your Bible and Check out your History Books.

Time to Move on, people. We have enough problems to take care of here back on the ranch. We have given the Israeils enough weaponry and money to kick anybody's butt over there 10 x over already. Israel is going to be just fine. We on the other hand are in deep trouble.

Old 10-30-2008, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
Bottom line is nbobody can provide a Real Answer about why we have to continue to give up so much money to them.
The Christian Right is the reason why at this point.

Old 10-30-2008, 10:49 AM

493 posts, read 718,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGrey View Post
Then they are, frankly, ill-informed. While that may play a tiny part of it, one actually has to go back and look at the history of our foreign policies to truly understand the hate. In the big picture, being a safe haven barely rates a blip on the radar.

I think Israel's religion is a convenient fall guy that all who dislike Israel get lumped in with. It's true some dislike their religion but that is not the sole cause of all the problems by any stretch of the imagination.

And we don't just support Israel we pay for their country at this point. Without us those that hate them wouldn't have to do a thing because they wouldn't be able to survive anyway.

Yes, we restrain Israel to a point but doesn't that say something? Israel in their short history has a more agressive military policy then we do - yes, yes I know they have to do so and all that jazz but I am tired of playing big brother for all these countries who are helping to create the messes they then turn to us for help in; Georgia comes to mind.

One more time, people that want to see Israel's destruction do not feel that way solely because of their religion. The hatred many feel there is, again, heavily influenced by the history of the country, and our and other countries unquestioning support thereof.

You make interesting points.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies