Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 09:34 PM

3,414 posts, read 7,144,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
You now what is hypocrisy?Those that are for funding abortion by the government taking peoples taxes giving no say so to refuse to pay for it yet many who support that and are pro choice use the excuse of "who will pay for all the kids in foster homes?" as a reason for justiying abortion.And we know what political party supports federal funding for abortion.

To those that are pro choice and don't mind forcing people to pay for abortions using tax money someone needs to force you to pay for foster care homes.If you like big government so much well there you go,pony up and pay,or are you selfish greedy mean spirited?
Bravo!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2011, 09:38 PM

3,414 posts, read 7,144,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
I've been raped. If I had gotten pregnant from it I would not have had the child, especially since I was a child myself. For me it would be about two things:

1) How would my child feel about knowing they were the product of rape? I can't lie to my kids, and don't understand how other parents can, so they would have to know.

2) Could I look in my child's eye and not think about the rape? Or would it always be there to haunt me? Would I be able to see my child as my child, or would the fact she was a rape baby taint my mind forever?

I can understand how abortion as a means of birth control is a debate, but not giving rape victims the choice to abort is out of the question for me. No rape victim should have to raise the product of their rape.
My Mom was in that situation. She saw the child as her innocent child. Child grew-up and became an anesthesiologist.

Old 06-06-2011, 09:40 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,464,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laysayfair View Post
My Mom was in that situation. She saw the child as her innocent child. Child grew-up and became an anesthesiologist.
That's great to hear. I'm not saying that I wouldn't be able to do that, but I am not sure if I would be able to.

Is this you or your sibling?

Old 06-06-2011, 09:52 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
History says the former.
Does history really say the former, or are statistics skewed now because the population is much higher?

Old 06-06-2011, 09:53 PM

6,484 posts, read 6,617,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by searpr View Post
I don't seem to be able to get this question answered on another forum where this is being discussed. I know I'll get an answer here...

Many people suggest adoption as an alternative to abortion. But we already have children in this country (and worldwide) who are not being adopted, so what is going to happen to children that are born because abortion was illegal and the mothers don't want them? If there are 1.3 million abortions in the US every year, and if you assumed even half of those women took anti-choice advice and gave the baby up for adoption, how on earth will our foster/adoption process here in the States handle that? Basically, I think it's hypocritical to offer adoption as an alternative to abortion, and then adopt no children yourself (Some pro-life people do adopt...McCain comes to mind). Every time I drive past an abortion clinic and see people out there holding signs, I am tempted to ask how many hours they have spent volunteering with children and doing things to benefit children that are here right now. I'm not saying they don't, but I would be very curious to see some statistics. It's been said (although I can't remember where I heard it) that the states that have the most restrictive laws on abortion also have the least funding for children's programs. It may or may not even true, but it's sure something to think about.

Some interesting statistics on adoption on these two sites. According to the first one, there are 115,000 children waiting to be adopted in FY 2005, and that's down from prior years.

Children in Public Foster Care Waiting to be Adopted: FY 1999 thru FY 2005 (http://www.acf.hhs.gov/programs/cb/stats_research/afcars/waiting2005.htm - broken link)
Adoption Statistics: Foster Care 1999

A couple key points from the second link:

36,000 children were adopted from the public foster care system in fiscal year 1998. Big disparity between the 115,000-125,000 children waiting to be adopted and the 36,000 that actually were. And this number doesn't even include children that are in foster care but are NOT available for adoption, which is more like half a million according to this site. So again, if abortion is made illegal and that number jumps by 10 times, or even three or four times, who is going to take care of those children?

so the solution is to just kill 'em? I'm guessing you probably wouldn't support the local dog pound if it killed any dog it didn't adopt out immediately.

Old 06-06-2011, 09:55 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
so the solution is to just kill 'em? I'm guessing you probably wouldn't support the local dog pound if it killed any dog it didn't adopt out immediately.
Ending a pregnancy, especially very early, is not the same as killing a dog. Or a baby.

Old 06-07-2011, 07:18 AM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
If you are going to give up a white healthy baby at birth, the child has a good chance of being adopted into a home. Of course, it is an incredible sacrifice to go through pregnancy and birth, and often the raging hormones will outweigh common sense and cause the birth mother to keep the baby and thereby doom herself, that child, and more to come, to a life of poverty, hopelessness, and misery.

If the child is NOT white or healthy, then you're just hoping the child won't have a life of hell. That's the way the statistics run.

Personally, I don't by the organized religion line that a fertilized zygote is a full human being, since that makes no scientific sense at all. Of course organized religions wish to maximize the number of their followers--that increases their wealth and power. But we should all understand that probably 1/3 of all fertilized eggs are flushed out of the woman's body before a birth, most without anybody knowing. That's nature. So the idea that every human woman should be just a incubating factory, meant to produce more humans, is ridiculous.

It is even more ridiculous in a world of grotesque overpopulation, where even getting a low-paying job is now too much to ask, and where very few can afford to buy a patch of land where they can be free of the seething, noisy, aggressive and annoying masses of humanity.

In today's world, pretty much every problem can be traced back to too many people, fighting for limited resources. And that's sad, considering the world is huge, but we managed to overfill it ALREADY with over 6 billion very large animals that have incredible impact due to their practices. We could have had paradise if we just had more intelligence than two gerbils in a cage, who also will breed until they destroy their environment and themselves.
Re the bolded, that's an important point. While people wring their hands over the long list of children waiting for adoption in this country, in many cases they aren't the "right" kind of children. When my sister first called the state agency to adopt, the woman on the other end of the phone bruskly told her "Seven years wait for a white infant". After my sister informed her that she wasn't looking for a white infant, but a biracial black/white baby, the tone changed. And my niece came to them nine months later.

Old 06-07-2011, 07:26 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,826,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Re the bolded, that's an important point. While people wring their hands over the long list of children waiting for adoption in this country, in many cases they aren't the "right" kind of children. When my sister first called the state agency to adopt, the woman on the other end of the phone bruskly told her "Seven years wait for a white infant". After my sister informed her that she wasn't looking for a white infant, but a biracial black/white baby, the tone changed. And my niece came to them nine months later.

ITA. Plus wanted to add that biracial children also have a better adoption rate than a plain old black baby who more than likely will grow up in foster care.

That said, I do think that adoption is a good alternative to abortion. I am pro-choice but feel that abortions should primarily be done before 12 weeks personally and really I don't like the idea of forcing a woman to carry a baby to term in order to adopt if she doesn't want to.

I have 2 children and I hate being pregnant. I get very ill for the entire pregnancies with hyperemesis and also pubic synopsis disorder (PSD) which is extreme pain in the pelvic area from about 12 weeks through the end of the pregnancy. I had to be hospitalized with both of my pregnancies due to the hyperemesis (constant vomiting throughout pregnancy, think morning sickness on steroids) causing constant dehydration. I also had to be on 2 different anti-nauseau vomiting Rxs which didn't do much to help. I had to use a wheelchair for the last 6 weeks of my pregnancies due to the PSD. I know my situation is not the norm, but it is also not unique. I would not want to be forced to endure a pregnancy and the trials that comes with it if I were not going to keep the baby. The baby was for me worth all the pain and vomiting. For those not keeping the baby, I can understand them not wanting to go through the trials of pregnancy then follow that up with a birth that may be painful and causing tearing or ending up with a c-section and major surgery (which occurs at a very high rate in this country).

Old 06-08-2011, 10:50 AM

285 posts, read 868,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
In some states it is legal to adopt an unborn child, or at least, used to be. The adoptive parents then support the birth mother during the pregnancy.

It is still that way. The way the previous poster stated it made it sound crazy, adopting a fetus. But what you have eloquently stated here can and does still happen. A woman does not have to wait until she gives birth to decide that adoption is the route for her.

Old 06-08-2011, 10:51 AM

285 posts, read 868,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

Love that the baby came 9 months later...it was meant to be!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies