Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 08:15 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times

Advertisements

Good for you, nice to know it was done legally. I hope you registered all of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2008, 08:19 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,495,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Good for you, nice to know it was done legally. I hope you registered all of them.
Guns don't need to be registered in most of this country.

Old 11-05-2008, 08:19 AM

558 posts, read 818,894 times
Quote:
Registering them isn't required in some states.

Old 11-05-2008, 08:38 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,241,172 times
Quote:
You only have register your car and dogs in Texas not your guns...

Old 11-05-2008, 08:44 AM

5,501 posts, read 22,449,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaVoter View Post
I have never been a gun owner. However I strongly believe in the right to bear arms.

I have thought about getting a shotgun in the house for home protection. But I never got around to it. I believe with Obama I better do something about it now while I still can. I believe this right may go to the way side in the future.

In addition if this country falls into a Depression like it did before when Taxes were raised in a Ressession we could be looking at the next Great Depression and again home protection would be vital

I personally feel my first objective though is to get a gun safe. Then I can think about getting the home protection.

I wonder how many others may be spured to do like wise with an Obama Presidency.
Have you lost your mind?

Old 11-05-2008, 09:31 AM

2,741 posts, read 8,885,092 times
Quote:
How silly is this question?
Don't you think we have bigger problems at this time as a legacy from bush?
Might want to look at the economy and eternal war as higher priorities; I'm sure the president elect is more concerned about those issues.

The question isn't "silly", because Obama has a history of voting for anti-gun legislation. The fact that there are "bigger problems" doesn't mean that gun legislation will be shoved aside. I mean, how long would it take for Obama to sign his name on a new anti-gun bill....maybe 10 seconds?

Bud

Old 11-05-2008, 09:44 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,742,256 times
Someone said to buy an AK 47, but they are getting expensive. Buy an SKS, which is the same gun, except that it is not fully automatic and is very much less expensive. You can make it fully automatic by filing off the lobe from the trigger mechanism, simpler to do than it is to say and you have an AK for the bargain price of an SKS.

Ammo is very cheap for the commie guns as the evil empire made billions of them that are still sitting on the shelves all over the world. The red guns are the finest you can get, you can mistreat them all you want and they will never fail to work. Outstanding weapons. Oh, and the cheap ammo by the crate consists of hollow point steel rod bullets, tasty!

I would recommend that you also do a little research into a lot of the leftie guerrilla publications of the past, because they can get you up to speed on the more effective improvised weapons and tactics that can help you defend yourself far beyond what any single gun could possibly do. This way you can bring supreme judgement down upon all of your enemies if needed in the future.

Personally, I have always owned weapons because I believe that most people are idiots and I don't trust whatever fashionable regime has been in power to protect me or my rights. Good luck being a sovereign individual, I wish you all the best of luck.

Last edited by irspow; 11-05-2008 at 10:01 AM.. Reason: ps

Old 11-05-2008, 09:50 AM

973 posts, read 2,229,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
Have you lost your mind?
Have you learned anything from history? A Dem-majority Congress proposed a bill in June of 2008 that would not only bring back Clinton's 1994-2004 Assault Weapon Ban, but it has vague enough statements and restrictions that they could ban every semi-automatic firearm that even *appears* to resemble an "assault" rifle for "military" purposes. There's little work and little resistance now to allow something like this to pass, which is just one more step in restricting the choices legal firearm owners have. It's one more step to banning everything but black powder muzzleloader rifles. Clinton's 1994-2004 AWB was proven to do *nothing* to reduce gun crime, because criminals either use black market weapons that have been illegal since 1934 (fully-automatic weapons) or handguns.. not large assault rifles. Obama's "gangs using AK47s" statement is a gross attempt to appease the gun control crowd, since gangs don't generally like any weapon that's not easily concealed. Obama's voting record in the Illinois state legislature proves he's very anti-gun, so if you want a shot at owning something you won't ever have the option of buying in the future.. get it now.

However, you don't have to worry about pump shotguns for awhile.. the firearms that are likely to be banned within the next year don't include them:

All imported "military" rifles, even if they're no more dangerous than current hunting rifles:
Semi-auto "military" AK47 clones (WASR, SAR-1, SSR 85, Dragunov, SKS, etc)
Bolt action imported "military" rifles (Mosin Nagant M44, Mouser rifles, Accuracy International rifles, etc)

Smaller semi-automatic "military" rifles:
HK USC Carbine
FN PS90

Many current USA "military" rifles:
All forms of AR's (AR-10, AR-15, based from the M16/M4 platform)
All forms of .50BMG rifles. (Barrett 82A1, etc)
All forms of smaller rifles (Bushmaster Carbon 15, Beretta C4X Storm, etc)
All forms of previous "military" USA semi-auto rifles - M1 Garand, M1 Carbine, Thompson M1..

Even current USA "military" rifles that have NEVER have had the intention of being used by a military are proposed to be banned, like the Ruger mini-30 and mini-14 rifles.

The law is a joke. A "military" rifle is no more dangerous than a "hunting" rifle, and I know many people who choose to hunt with "military" rifles since that's just what they've been familiar and comfortable with. Personally, if I had to choose, I'd much rather be shot by a .223 or .308 "military" rifle than a .300 Win Mag, 7mm Mag, or other various high-power "hunting" rifles.
Think about it - what's more dangerous:
- Something designed to take out a 200 lb target with little mobility.
- Something designed to take out a 800+ lb target that moves up to 20-50 mph.

Again, the fear tactics of the gun control crowd at play.. the "evil" looking military rifle is actually less dangerous than most standard-looking "hunting" rifles.

People are going to try to use the argument: "If hunting rifles are more dangerous, why doesn't the military use them!?" The reason: Reliability through harsh conditions and cost. Military firearms were created through extreme testing of harsh conditions to make sure they operate with as few problems as possible. There's also no need for the military to use heavier and more expensive "hunting" rifles and ammo when smaller and lighter "military" firearms work well enough on the battlefield.

Last edited by ucfjtm; 11-05-2008 at 11:20 AM..

Old 11-05-2008, 12:14 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,495,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irspow View Post
Someone said to buy an AK 47, but they are getting expensive. Buy an SKS, which is the same gun, except that it is not fully automatic and is very much less expensive. You can make it fully automatic by filing off the lobe from the trigger mechanism, simpler to do than it is to say and you have an AK for the bargain price of an SKS.

Ammo is very cheap for the commie guns as the evil empire made billions of them that are still sitting on the shelves all over the world. The red guns are the finest you can get, you can mistreat them all you want and they will never fail to work. Outstanding weapons. Oh, and the cheap ammo by the crate consists of hollow point steel rod bullets, tasty!

I would recommend that you also do a little research into a lot of the leftie guerrilla publications of the past, because they can get you up to speed on the more effective improvised weapons and tactics that can help you defend yourself far beyond what any single gun could possibly do. This way you can bring supreme judgement down upon all of your enemies if needed in the future.

Personally, I have always owned weapons because I believe that most people are idiots and I don't trust whatever fashionable regime has been in power to protect me or my rights. Good luck being a sovereign individual, I wish you all the best of luck.
No gun made after a cutoff date in 1986 in full auto is legal for a civilian to own in this country. All the AK-47's available new are semi-auto only like the SKS. Their (ak47) advantage is they use detachable magazines. I'd get a couple 100 round drums in addition to basic 20 or 30 round mags. The SKS uses a fixed magazine and is not that reliable if modified to use detachable mags. An SKS can be had for between 200 and 300, there are some romanian AK's available for around 385.

Old 11-05-2008, 12:18 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,742,256 times
My SKS is not fixed magazine and I definitely bought it legally at a gun show long after 1986. The drums seem quite heavy to me when filled with the steel rod ammo, so I prefer taping together a couple of forty round magazines. You must remove the lobe on the trigger mechanism to make it fully auto. There's also a way to make it selective fire with a small flat piece of steel that I will not spell out here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies