Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 04:20 PM

1,956 posts, read 3,641,955 times

Advertisements

I consider myself financially conservative and socially moderate.

I support gay marriage, equal rights for everyone, sex education, the environment, and try to live as 'green' as possible, and I consider it none of my business if someone who is terminally ill wants to end their life with dignity, or a woman wants to have an abortion. On the other hand, I'm an avid angler and outdoorswoman, and I support the second amendment and believe in personal responsibility rather than handouts from the government. I was against the Wall Street bailout, and am working to pay off some extensive personal debts that I got myself into through poor financial decisions on my own rather than looking to Uncle Sam to bail me out.

The thing that has kept me from voting Republican though is the way that the party has been tied to the religious right. I really find it scary, as I consider myself agnostic and I personally resent it when people use their religion to dictate what other people should and should not do. I don't care if someone's religion says gays shouldn't marry, any more that I care that someone else's religion says that women should wear burqas. When they start trying to enforce those views on everyone else just because their religion says so, then I care.

So I guess what I'm trying to say here is that I would feel a lot more comfortable voting Republican if they would oust (or at least quit pandering to) the hate spewing Bible beaters. These days it seems even the Republican's financial restraint has gone out the window, leaving them with no base except those who want to tell everyone else how they should live their lives. Sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2008, 06:01 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,747,728 times
You, my friend, are doomed to be a Libertarian. Good luck ever getting represented by this or any other evil regime to gain power from the only two parties that will ever have a shot.

Old 11-05-2008, 06:42 PM

488 posts, read 1,177,928 times
I think you are out of luck on that one. I doubt you will find a political party that feels the exact same way you do. Maybe I'm wrong. Good luck.

Old 11-05-2008, 11:12 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,151,705 times
You appear to be closer to Libertarian than D or R. I think that if most people looked at their beliefs and positions, and compared them to the various party platforms, there'd be a lot more Libertarians... If they only organized better and did more grassroots work, they could become a very viable option in national elections.

Old 11-05-2008, 11:16 PM

34,260 posts, read 18,638,482 times
The Dems have done a great job of demonizing the Republicans with ties to the Religious right. I'm not religious and all my Republican associates aren't either. We are just adults who realize there is no free lunch and that the "rich" can't buy us everything in life.

Democrats need to grow up and take responsibility for themselves.

Old 11-06-2008, 03:43 AM

1,956 posts, read 3,641,955 times
I don't think you can blame the Democrats for the state of the Republican party. They didn't make McCain pick Palin for his running mate, for example. She pretty much embodies everything I dislike about the Republican party today. No fiscal restraint and wants to enforce her religious beliefs on everyone else.

I'll look closer at the Libertarian platform, though.

Old 11-06-2008, 03:51 AM

23,175 posts, read 26,243,841 times
If the Electoral College disappeared and the popular vote was what counted, I believe there would be a great possibilty for a successful Libertarian candidate.

Old 11-06-2008, 04:24 AM

1,658 posts, read 3,042,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
the "rich" can't buy us everything in life
Funny, the rich don't buy anybody anything.

Old 11-06-2008, 05:12 AM

2,054 posts, read 4,586,519 times
The Dems have their own religious extremists. The Environmental Nazis, the gun banners, the radical wealth redistributers and those that worship at the alter of infanticide, within and outside the womb.

Old 11-06-2008, 07:39 AM

290 posts, read 524,434 times
Libertarian - Just like most of your countrymates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies