Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 10:31 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,754,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHouse9 View Post
Just waiting for the left wing hate to come out over this one - good article though

The Treatment of Bush Has Been a Disgrace - WSJ.com
The new president to be is one of the biggest Bush haters!!!

Let's wait how the new president to be will react when the people of America are saying similar things about him....I guess it will be called racism!think:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2008, 10:33 AM

2,984 posts, read 5,857,657 times
I think Bush should not bear any blame in terms of the state of the economy. What we are experiencing is the effects NAFTA has had on the nation. TI addition the Democrats voted for the bail out the same way the republicans did. When will the citizens of our nation ever understand the system of checks and balances that is built into our system? The president is not king! He can not do any thing without the approval of Congress. It often makes our system very inefficient but that’s what we have.

Old 11-06-2008, 10:40 AM

2,732 posts, read 6,767,656 times
I think on IRAQ Bush made a huge mistake.
He wasnt tough enough on Illegal Immigration.
He tried to outspend the liberals.
That being said he had alot thrown at him,He handled 911 well...
He did keep the economy running along and was tough on terrorism.
Theres plenty of reasons to be angry at Bush but some of the Lefts..
Comparing him to Hitler,Satan and some the conspiracy theories are insane.

Old 11-06-2008, 01:30 PM

3,457 posts, read 4,654,107 times
What I don't get is the left's denial over their own party leaders voting for the Iraq war, but they ignore that? And the idea that Katrina was Bush's fault??????? He told people to leave ahead of time and they didn't. The financial mess was in essence due to the Dems blocking of any investigation and regulation.

The hate astounds me, and I am no big fan of Bush due to his spending.

Old 11-06-2008, 02:08 PM

1,989 posts, read 6,598,895 times
Oh poor little Georgie got the short end of the stick.....give me a freaking break. This man treated the Constitution like a piece of toilet paper throughout the course of his entire 8 year tenure. He misled the entire American population into a neoconservative crusade in the middle east, which has effectively destroyed any good standing we had with the the global community (look at the outpouring of compassion and relief on election night from overseas, that should tell you enough). He presided over torture, unlawful wiretapping, and stood by while an unhinged Wall Street plunged the global economy into the septic tank. We may never be the same country after Bush's ruinous 8 years in office.

Old 11-06-2008, 02:15 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,479,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geos View Post
Cowardly democracts are the only reason he hasn't been indicted for crimes against humanity and treason. He's a disgrace and a stain on this country that will take a long time to remove.
Quite true in my view also, except that it was not cowardice that prevented impeachment as much as concern for putting the country through such an ordeal at such a late hour. This is the same sentiment that spared Reagan from trial over Iran-Contra. In the Bush case, Democrats were in no position to proceed with anything at all until January 2007, and knowing that they could easily keep Bush and his destructive agenda more or less bottled up as a paper tiger for two years, and that there were many important but long ignored other issues to work on, tossing all of Congress's energies into the process of impeachment would have meant a lot of other items continuing to go unattended to. There is more than one school of thought on the matter, of course, but I think that in the long run, the leadership made the proper choice, and that it would have been unwise to descend to the levels of simple partisan sleaze that were sunk to by the Republicans in 1998...

Last edited by saganista; 11-06-2008 at 03:14 PM..

Old 11-06-2008, 02:31 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,481,395 times
Quote:
What I don't get is the left's denial over their own party leaders voting for the Iraq war, but they ignore that?
Have you noticed that Sen. Clinton is not the president-elect? Why do you suppose that is?

Old 11-06-2008, 02:31 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
What I don't get is the left's denial over their own party leaders voting for the Iraq war, but they ignore that? And the idea that Katrina was Bush's fault??????? He told people to leave ahead of time and they didn't. The financial mess was in essence due to the Dems blocking of any investigation and regulation.

The hate astounds me, and I am no big fan of Bush due to his spending.

Congress voted to authorize the iraq war, the final go/no go decision was made by the CinC.

And I don't hate him, I regret his deceptions and incompetence have led us down the path they have.

Old 11-06-2008, 02:34 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
I do not believe that Bush has been treated unfairly. I think you should keep in mind that many of us who did not vote for Bush in 2000 did give him a fair shake until he started making mistake after mistake that cost lives and shot our economy down the tubes.

In my circle anyway, we did treat Bush fairly at the beginning and did not stop supporting him as our President until well after he was elected.

It's not even the mistakes that are the big issue, everybody makes mistakes unless they're dead or not doing anything. It's the refusal to even consider the possibility he may have made mistakes that's so infuriating.

Old 11-06-2008, 02:55 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,479,243 times
Quote:
What I don't get is the left's denial over their own party leaders voting for the Iraq war, but they ignore that?
There was never any doubt of passage of the Iraqi AUMF. Let's not pretend that there was any notion at all of pass/fail in the air in the days leading up to that vote. If one remembers (and a great many don't), Bush was to be off to the UN to ask them to put a credible threat of force behind their various resolutions calling for Iraq to cooperate in assuring their disarmament. Still professing to be pursuing a path toward peace, Bush then asked how he could go to the UN and ask them to give him what his own Congress would not? So, it became a politics-stops-at-the-water's-edge question. Should the Democrats take Bush at his word about pursuing peace and vote in favor of the AUMF so as to display national solidarity on the issue on a world stage, or should they vote their ideals and instincts, knowing that war itself was a bad idea and that Bush was not at all a trustworthy partner. In the end some went one way, and some went the other, but it was a tough call for all of them either way, even though passage of the resolution itself was never something that was part of the decision at all.

Quote:
And the idea that Katrina was Bush's fault??????? He told people to leave ahead of time and they didn't.
Katrina wasn't Bush's fault, but the lack of any proper federal response to it was. A dress rehearsal for a major hurricane in New Orleans had been conducted just the year before, and there was adequate advance warning of the storm to have coordinated an effective federal response to the various possible scenarios. None of that was done. Instead, Bush chose to play political hardball with the state and city over federal aid. When they wouldn't sign themselves out of the picture, Bush basically just let the city sit there and drown. Keep in mind that in 2004, a series of four major hurricanes had swept across Florida, and FEMA's response was brilliant by nearly everyone's account. Excessively so, according to some auditors. Books were written about how the success of FEMA's efforts carried the state into the Bush column in the 2004 elections just a few weeks later. Fast forward to 2005, and FEMA is suddenly paralyzed. It can't get anything done right or on time at all. How odd.

Quote:
The financial mess was in essence due to the Dems blocking of any investigation and regulation.
Pure right-wing poppycock. You had a bunch of right-wing, laissez-faire, sit-on-their-hands types stationed at every major checkpoint. The wheeler-dealers dictated to the feds, and the feds then just sat back and watched it all happen. The pressure to do something arose primarily from academics, the financial press, and officials too far down the food-chain to do anything by themselves. Democrats didn't block anything, and couldn't have proposed anything. They were a minority in both houses of Congress at the time, and the Republican leadership basically just ignored them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies