Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 06:41 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,562,595 times

Advertisements

Saw Seattle news stories about people all over the place buying and displaying American flags. Some of the people in the stories say they're now proud of their country. You see, this is an example of fairweather fans. They aren't patriots. You see, an American patriot loves his country no matter who is elected to the office of president. Love of country isn't suppose to one political office and the person who holds that office. The love of country has to do with our freedoms and our system of government. It's not about which political party holds the White House. I don't like Obama but I'll still put out my American flag on Flag day, Veterans Day, Independence Day, and Memorial Day just like I always do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2008, 06:42 PM

3,150 posts, read 8,725,665 times
Yep... all the people who ridiculed the "flag wavers" are now becoming ones themselves... I have always been a flag waver in my short life, I have been ridiculed, I will continue to wave the flag!

Old 11-07-2008, 06:43 PM

Sort of like all the flag waving that went on in 1976.

Old 11-07-2008, 06:47 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,488,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Saw Seattle news stories about people all over the place buying and displaying American flags. Some of the people in the stories say they're now proud of their country. You see, this is an example of fairweather fans. They aren't patriots. You see, an American patriot loves his country no matter who is elected to the office of president. Love of country isn't suppose to one political office and the person who holds that office. The love of country has to do with our freedoms and our system of government. It's not about which political party holds the White House. I don't like Obama but I'll still put out my American flag on Flag day, Veterans Day, Independence Day, and Memorial Day just like I always do.
Meanwhile in Texas, angry white Baylor students started a race riot complete with the lynch rope.

Maybe you ought to sail down to Waco Dave - you're type of people here.

Old 11-07-2008, 06:50 PM

Nope, I tried to live in DFW for about a year. Didn't like the attitude I encountered so I left and went back to Louisiana. I love my homestate, I know it isn't perfect but Texans (especially in DFW) think their state is the best country in the world.

Old 11-07-2008, 06:55 PM

here's a link to the article
Red, white and true blue: City hoists Old Glory

go to the bottom and click the link to the comments. Pretty eye opening.

Old 11-07-2008, 06:56 PM

I knew it was time to leave DFW the fifth or tenth time someone told me the reason why Texas Stadium has a hole in the dome is so "God" can watch his favorite team.

Old 11-07-2008, 06:57 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,501,181 times
There is no patriotism in "My Country, Right or Wrong!" There is only the most servile sort of mindless nationalism. Those who are not willing to criticize their country are not willing to defend it.

Old 11-07-2008, 07:05 PM

Family can criticize each other and still love each other. I love my country but find fault with individual politicians and policy. As for your last statement,...it's total BS. Some of the people most critical of this country not only refuse to defend this nation by serving in it's military, they also hate the military. There's a difference between being critical and spewing hatred or hate filled slogans. To protest a politician or public policy is American. To do so while burning the American flag and wearing the hammer and sickle of the USSR is not American. To protest the war for the sake of our troops and our country is American. To do so in order to hold a registration drive for the Communist party isn't American.

Old 11-08-2008, 12:31 AM

2,054 posts, read 4,585,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
There is no patriotism in "My Country, Right or Wrong!" There is only the most servile sort of mindless nationalism. Those who are not willing to criticize their country are not willing to defend it.
I still enjoy being the greatest superpower on the planet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies