Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2008, 06:28 AM

1,862 posts, read 3,344,767 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yes/no View Post
Gay marriage isn't a civil rights issue. It's a moral issue. Just like we don't allow brothers and sisters to marry, we shouldn't allow the same sex to marry.
It might be YOUR "moral issue", but others' civil rights' issue.

It has nothing to do with religion, either, because churches do NOT have to marry homosexuals - it's only the state constitution that decides that everyone has "equality under the law". The courts are the only ones who can decide if everyone has the same rights.

I'd like to vote on whether or not people should have less children if they can't afford them, but I don't think it's up to me. They have a "right" to have them, even if they cannot afford them. I'd like to see THAT on a referendum. Seems to me that affects more people, like single people who pay for these kids by having higher taxes.

Old 11-12-2008, 08:28 AM

10,503 posts, read 15,576,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cousinsal View Post
It will be proven unconstitutional - there are lawsuits already.

You can't have a majority vote on the rights of a minority, period.
That's how I would see it happening. Lawsuits, protests..they can go a long way. The supreme court will rule it unconstitutional. Even the governor is for it, that says a lot, don't you think?

Old 11-12-2008, 08:37 AM

1,862 posts, read 3,344,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
That's how I would see it happening. Lawsuits, protests..they can go a long way. The supreme court will rule it unconstitutional. Even the governor is for it, that says a lot, don't you think?
I'm in Massachusetts, and they're still trying to get it on the ballot, but haven't succeeded yet. At this point, nobody will probably care if they ever do. Gay marriages have not bothered anyone or ended society as we know it!

Once a minority wants their rights, it will happen eventually. People ought to just ignore it if they don't like the idea - it's not hurting anyone else. In fact, no one would even KNOW whether a stranger was married to a man or woman, so how can it affect anyone? If it's a friend, or someone in your family that you're trying to stop from marrying someone of the same sex, I suggest you have a good long talk with the person, instead of worrying about them bringing down civilization. Sheesh.....get real, and think about something more important.

California will just keep having lawsuits until there's nothing they can do about it. And, that's the way it will be in every other state in the nation. It's not going to be stopped, whether people like it or not.

Old 11-12-2008, 08:48 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,693,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cousinsal View Post
People ought to just ignore it if they don't like the idea - it's not hurting anyone else. In fact, no one would even KNOW whether a stranger was married to a man or woman, so how can it affect anyone?
I'm so with you on that. I wonder how many of the anti-same-sex-marriage voters in California actually knew a same-sex couple who had gotten married - or even knew a same-sex couple at all!

Gays are mostly an invisible minority in everyday life, so lots of people still think that they don't know any gays. This allows their imaginations to run wild when they hear the word "gay". It's the fear of the unknown.

Old 11-12-2008, 09:00 AM

2,709 posts, read 6,319,582 times
Quote:
Gay marriage isn't a civil rights issue. It's a moral issue. Just like we don't allow brothers and sisters to marry, we shouldn't allow the same sex to marry.
Morality has no place in the foundation of laws. Stealing, killing, raping, assaulting, burglarizing, etc. are illegal because they violate the rights of the victims, not because they are, in and of themselves, immoral acts. Your rights as a citizen leave off where someone else's rights begin.

Gay marriage is 100% a civil issue. It has NOTHING to do with morality.

We do not live in a theocracy, and as such we do not use religion or morality as the basis of our laws.

Old 11-12-2008, 09:04 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,478,303 times
what no more straight marriage? now you went and did it. ah now you are talking about emptying the divorce courts and forcing men to remain rich. not to mention creating mass unemployment for fleazy divorce lawyers, we will have to do a bail out.
we wont stay for it ya hear. gay marriage now.

Old 11-12-2008, 07:33 PM

630 posts, read 1,295,681 times
Quote:
Just curious but how do you think the supreme court will rule it unconstitutional after its already been ruled in as a california constitutional law?

by asking my original question I was trying to get everyone to think outside the box on how they would want to see gay marriage get passed legally instead of emotionally reacting to everyone who you disagree with which gets everybody nowhere. It gets really old after a while and repeditive.I would think you'd be sick of it also after a while and just want to get the facts straight on how to make it happen isntead of complaining about it. this message was not meant to be against you but to help you.

Last edited by okie333; 11-12-2008 at 07:48 PM..

Old 11-12-2008, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Gays are mostly an invisible minority in everyday life, so lots of people still think that they don't know any gays. This allows their imaginations to run wild when they hear the word "gay". It's the fear of the unknown.
thats not true actually, gays are open everywhere. Where do you live where you don't see any homosexuals? I just picked up a sandwich this evening at the store because im not cooking, lol and chatted with a young guy that goes to my college about the issue, he was gay and we had a really nice discussion.

Old 11-12-2008, 07:37 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,576,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okie333 View Post
Just curious but how do you think the supreme court will rule it unconstitutional after its already been ruled in as a california constitutional law?
Just curious, why do you ask people a question in a seemingly calm tone & then turn around & question every one of their answers? Seems someone is just looking for a fight, any fight.

Old 11-12-2008, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Just curious, why do you ask people a question in a seemingly calm tone & then turn around & question every one of their answers? Seems someone is just looking for a fight, any fight.
not looking for a fight. How do you think the supreme court will pass a law that has already made it to be a california constitutional law?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies