Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-13-2008, 11:05 AM
 
3,031 posts, read 9,063,921 times
Reputation: 842

Advertisements

....your bag of pot in the car and get off with a slap on the wrist. And the state of MA is no longer sending courtesy reminder notices that your license is about to expire. We're going to have jails bursting with license offense felons.

I guess I'll keep my bag o' weed and my illegal immigrant in the car with me at all times so I can get a "pass" if I don't renew my license.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-13-2008, 01:06 PM
 
1,619 posts, read 2,815,579 times
Reputation: 1376
are you kidding? they are going to fine or jail someone for that? Please tell me you read that in the National Inquirier or something equivalent
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-13-2008, 01:08 PM
 
Location: Denver
387 posts, read 675,520 times
Reputation: 103
I'm having trouble connecting the issues of marijuana decriminalization, license renewal, and immigration. Can you elaborate on how these are related?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-13-2008, 01:30 PM
 
3,031 posts, read 9,063,921 times
Reputation: 842
Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncing View Post
I'm having trouble connecting the issues of marijuana decriminalization, license renewal, and immigration. Can you elaborate on how these are related?
You have to live in Massachusetts to even try to connect the dots. Basically, it goes like this: Question 2 passed, decriminalizing small amounts of marijuana. Boston has long been known as a "sanctuary city" meaning illegal immigrants will not be prosecuted. But now, our RMV (don't call it a DMV here) is discontinuing mailing out courtesy reminders that your license is about to expire. So if you are caught, the fine is $1000 and a possible 6 month jail term--and it stays on your record and will show up in a CORI. But since Question 2 passed, you can have an ounce of pot on you and pay $50 and be done with it, and it does not show up on a CORI. The Sanctuary City thing is self explanatory.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-13-2008, 01:34 PM
 
Location: Denver
387 posts, read 675,520 times
Reputation: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by findingmesomeday View Post
You have to live in Massachusetts to even try to connect the dots. Basically, it goes like this: Question 2 passed, decriminalizing small amounts of marijuana. Boston has long been known as a "sanctuary city" meaning illegal immigrants will not be prosecuted. But now, our RMV (don't call it a DMV here) is discontinuing mailing out courtesy reminders that your license is about to expire. So if you are caught, the fine is $1000 and a possible 6 month jail term--and it stays on your record and will show up in a CORI. But since Question 2 passed, you can have an ounce of pot on you and pay $50 and be done with it, and it does not show up on a CORI. The Sanctuary City thing is self explanatory.
To me these still seem like separate issues.

The fine for not renewing your tags seems draconian to me. The fine for marijuana seems reasonable to me. And since there is nothing to "prosecute" illegal immigrants with, I'm not sure what you expect of the Boston police. The whole "sanctuary city" thing is a made-up term on talk radio.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-13-2008, 01:45 PM
 
3,031 posts, read 9,063,921 times
Reputation: 842
I'm saying that only in Massachusetts is the penalty for something like not having renewed your driver's license worse than possessing marijuana or being an illegal alien.

If you think there's nothing odd here, then perhaps you'd be at home, politically,-- here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-13-2008, 01:57 PM
 
Location: Denver
387 posts, read 675,520 times
Reputation: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by findingmesomeday View Post
I'm saying that only in Massachusetts is the penalty for something like not having renewed your driver's license worse than possessing marijuana or being an illegal alien.

If you think there's nothing odd here, then perhaps you'd be at home, politically,-- here.
I'm from Colorado and here marijuana possession is a petty offense with a $100 fine. You aren't arrested -- they write you a ticket and you're on your way.

I don't know what driving on an expired license is, but I think it's progressive -- the first offense is relatively minor, but after that it gets more serious.

And like Massachusetts, local police in Colorado have no jurisdiction to prosecute immigration infractions.

I feel politically comfortable here too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-13-2008, 01:58 PM
 
3,219 posts, read 6,560,378 times
Reputation: 1852
In Massachusetts one also pays (at least used to pay) a 6 year auto insurance surcharge for each chargeable accident - unless that changed. But hey one can have weed and just get a warning - makes Massachusetts sense to me, lol!

What's with that government??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-13-2008, 02:01 PM
 
Location: Denver
387 posts, read 675,520 times
Reputation: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by njguy View Post
In Massachusetts one also pays (at least used to pay) a 6 year auto insurance surcharge for each chargeable accident - unless that changed.
Was that the insurance company or the state government?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-13-2008, 02:04 PM
 
3,219 posts, read 6,560,378 times
Reputation: 1852
Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncing View Post
Was that the insurance company or the state government?
Insurance companies for the surcharge, the government for the license and backward laws.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:31 PM.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top