Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 04:33 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,458,970 times

Advertisements

Think about it. Overexposure.

In about 30 years, some the young adults today who are "facebook, my space, youtube" aficionados will be running for public office with an electronic "paper trail" that can wrap around Jupiter 30 times.

Do you think it will be much of an issue in the future, the issue of overexposing yourself on the internet?

If everyone has done it, do you think it will be so scandalous that the "future" president of the USA has displayed his/her naked body online, or posted on a message board for people to criticize years later?

Things you do online can come back to haunt you years later afterall.

A minute of fun, can cause a lifetime of regret.

Cheerleaders' Nude Photos Spark Dispute

Last edited by LuckyGem; 12-09-2008 at 04:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2008, 04:52 PM

164 posts, read 240,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post

In about 30 years, some the young adults today who are "facebook, my space, youtube" aficionados will be running for public office with an electronic "paper trail" that can wrap around Jupiter 30 times.

Do you think it will be much of an issue in the future, the issue of overexposing yourself on the internet?

If everyone has done it, do you think it will be so scandalous that the "future" president of the USA has displayed his/her naked body online, or posted on a message board for people to criticize years later?

Good post and so true.

There's more; putting so many intimate details about oneself on such a uber-public forum as is the internet is an open invitation asking to be victimized.
Perverts, fraudsters, con men, rapists, child abductors ..you get the picture. They're all silently patrolling these websites 24/7, circling quietly like sharks in ever tightening circles as they casually pick their next meal.

Old 12-09-2008, 05:49 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,635,477 times
Which is exactly why I never had a myspace or facebook or a video on youtube. Of course, I also don't get drunk and flash people or pose naked for anyone, including my boyfriend, unless those pictures are destroyed soon after. This coming from an ex-musician!! Do you KNOW how hard it is to promote your band if you don't have a myspace page??? 10 years ago, no problem...nowadays it's impossible. You reap what you sow.

Old 12-09-2008, 05:56 PM

4,050 posts, read 6,141,526 times
Quote:

Well, um, you don't have to take your clothes off to have fun.

There's nothing wrong with Facebook or Myspace (except the latter's a crappy site in general) or YouTube or any of it, if you act like a grown-up on it. Like just about anything else in life.

I doubt anyone's going to refuse to hire me because I have a video on YouTube of a beetle walking around and another one of a praying mantis eating another bug.

Old 12-09-2008, 07:13 PM

15,866 posts, read 21,449,188 times
And posting on City-Data is any different how?

The vast majority of those of us on Facebook are not posting pictures of ourselves naked or drunk and certainly making sure that those pictures that our friends have the lack of common sense to post are untagged.

Old 12-09-2008, 07:14 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,441,267 times
forget about 30 years from now. i probably already lost one job opportunity bek they more than likely googled my CDF posts way too liberal for the job.

Old 12-09-2008, 07:18 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,678,403 times
I think that unless you're trying to get a high-level government job, the naked pics, etc. are going to matter less as the years go on.

Old 12-09-2008, 09:02 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,196,176 times
Quote:

Of course it will effect future politicians since the American people don't really vote on things like issues, voting records, etc... Americans vote for personalities and just watching any nightly news segment you will see that the bulk of the air time isn't about a given piece of legislation or policy measure it is, "Did Obama know this guy" "How well will Obama and Clinton get along", "Bush's dog bits reporter"... rinse and repeat

The way things are heading now, a person might just get elected simply because they had a really groovy Myspace page and tons of friends who admire and love them. (I wanna be just like Mike)

Old 12-09-2008, 11:59 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,003,003 times
Yes, and Rand McNally aided the 9/11 terrorists, too. Can't anybody think?

Old 12-10-2008, 07:52 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,003,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Yes, and Rand McNally aided the 9/11 terrorists, too. Can't anybody think?
I thought I was in a different thread when I posted this. I had never even tried to open this thread. Does that ever happen to anyone else?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies