Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 03:21 PM

3,031 posts, read 9,089,224 times

Advertisements

Considering the heads of the big 3 took their private planes to the meetings in Washington, vs flying commercial--I don't think we're going to see any management concessions. For reference, see: AIG
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2008, 03:38 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,224,166 times
Why not bail out the big 3? They want to bailout the idiots who financed more than they could afford to pay back. They want to bailout the banks themselves, they want to bailout wallstreet. Might as well bailout the big 3 as well. Hey we have been bailing out other nations, we send billions in foreign aid to countries who actually dislike us. We have been bailing out Iraq even though they have some serious oil money comming in. We even bailout Israel with aid money. A country that is very wealthy by most standards. Whoa we might as well assume the entire worlds debt.
Or we can make these greedy CEO's tighten up their budgets. We can make our global trading partners play by the rules or deny them access to our markets. But before we can reasonably to these things our own gov needs to write a budget that does not exceed its revenue because who are they to preach to anyone when they can't cut any fat from their own waist and spend policies. The big 3 asked for 65 billion. Thats a little less than twice what we spend in foreign aid each year. ( I believe it was around 37 billion last year). I submit that I would rather see that money spent here than anywhere else.

Old 11-19-2008, 04:21 PM

1,902 posts, read 2,468,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Why not bail out the big 3? They want to bailout the idiots who financed more than they could afford to pay back. They want to bailout the banks themselves, they want to bailout wallstreet. Might as well bailout the big 3 as well. Hey we have been bailing out other nations, we send billions in foreign aid to countries who actually dislike us. We have been bailing out Iraq even though they have some serious oil money comming in. We even bailout Israel with aid money. A country that is very wealthy by most standards. Whoa we might as well assume the entire worlds debt.
Or we can make these greedy CEO's tighten up their budgets. We can make our global trading partners play by the rules or deny them access to our markets. But before we can reasonably to these things our own gov needs to write a budget that does not exceed its revenue because who are they to preach to anyone when they can't cut any fat from their own waist and spend policies. The big 3 asked for 65 billion. Thats a little less than twice what we spend in foreign aid each year. ( I believe it was around 37 billion last year). I submit that I would rather see that money spent here than anywhere else.
I was against the big trillion dollar bailout as well. I'm also very suspicious of that secretive $2 trillion of loans the fed handed out (above and beyond the 700 billion) without congressional approval that we have no idea where our money went or what securities the banks are pledged in return. They don't want to say, must be good for the tax payers. That's a total scam and we should be far more concerned about that then the 25 billion.

In fact, I'm for the gubmint to keep as far away from our business as possible. Every time they touch something, they make it worse.

Foreign aid I somewhat agree too. Some of it we pay for our own security but knowing our gubmint, I'm sure we don't get our monies worth. Who knows, maybe that's how our politicians get so rich.

Old 11-19-2008, 04:23 PM

6,022 posts, read 7,830,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findingmesomeday View Post

NO BAILOUT!
im from wisconsin and i think it would be a waste of time most politicians dont listen to the voters by far anyway.

Old 11-19-2008, 04:27 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,525,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findingmesomeday View Post
Please everyone, write your Congressmen, Senators, etc., and urge them NOT to bail out the big 3 automakers. These companies operate under tremendous waste and greed. Overhead is inflated by union demands, outrageous pensions. They have no incentive to make and market a product that the public wants and now they are crying the economy is hurting, so they are hurting and so many people will be laid off.

I can sympathize with some of that reasoning. But all sympathy flies out the window (pun intended) when I hear that the heads of all 3 companies flew down to Washington on their corporate jets, to the tune of a cost of about $20,000 EACH. They could have flow first class commercial for $1500 each. And the head of Ford last year, took over a sinking company and earned himself a $28million bonus.

It's corporate welfare and the sense of 'entitlement' they have is not that much different than what plagues other segments of our society asking for public handouts.

NO BAILOUT!
Why are you not outraged we are spending 12 billion dollars a month, along with American BLOOD, in IRAQ, and what are we getting in return? Death and destruction, thats what.

And you would probably like to continue this and turn off financial help in the form of a LOAN to not only Made in America Union jobs (which you obviously despise) but the downstream SMALL BUSINESS OWNERS relied on as suppliers. Got plenty of non union workers who are gonna suffer too.

Want to point the finger, point it at all the high paid executives who ordered up oversized gas guzzlers as part of their PRODUCTION PLAN

Old 11-20-2008, 08:33 AM

3,031 posts, read 9,089,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Why are you not outraged we are spending 12 billion dollars a month, along with American BLOOD, in IRAQ, and what are we getting in return? Death and destruction, thats what.

And you would probably like to continue this and turn off financial help in the form of a LOAN to not only Made in America Union jobs (which you obviously despise) but the downstream SMALL BUSINESS OWNERS relied on as suppliers. Got plenty of non union workers who are gonna suffer too.

Want to point the finger, point it at all the high paid executives who ordered up oversized gas guzzlers as part of their PRODUCTION PLAN
How do you know I'm not enraged? This thread is about the auto bailout, not the war.

Old 11-20-2008, 10:32 AM

2,265 posts, read 3,733,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Yes these things never work out.

Just look what happened last time Chrysler was bailed out.

{Scroll to Bottom}

What Was The Chrysler Bailout? - Political History: The Chrysler Bail Out

In 1983, Chrysler paid off the loans that had been guaranteed by US taxpayers. The Treasury was also $350 million richer.
Prepare to be disappointed because Obama wants an auto bailout. The UAW has helped him to much to not receive favors in return.

Old 11-20-2008, 11:01 AM

1,782 posts, read 3,942,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paullySC View Post
Prepare to be disappointed because Obama wants an auto bailout. The UAW has helped him to much to not receive favors in return.
Might mean something for Ford, but GM and Chrysler are going to be either dead or in bankruptcy by the time Obama takes the Oath of Office, since it appears there won't be any bailout.

Democrats wont support using the fuel efficiency money, and Republicans wont support using the bank money... very unlikely that the Big 3 will get a bailout until Obama takes office. I doubt GM and Chrysler will last that long. Maybe even not then, as a California environmentalist took over the energy committe from John Dingell, the Michigan auto supporter who was there for 28 years. Support for the auto industry is dying quickly, and Michigan's political influence is dying with it.

The only politicians strongly in favor of this are from Michigan, and their influence is not what it once was.

Old 11-20-2008, 11:03 AM

2,265 posts, read 3,733,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by th3vault View Post
Might mean something for Ford, but GM and Chrysler are going to be either dead or in bankruptcy by the time Obama takes the Oath of Office, since it appears there won't be any bailout.

Democrats wont support using the fuel efficiency money, and Republicans wont support using the bank money... very unlikely that the Big 3 will get a bailout until Obama takes office. I doubt GM and Chrysler will last that long. Maybe even not then, as a California environmentalist took over the energy committe from John Dingell, the Michigan auto supporter who was there for 28 years. Support for the auto industry is dying quickly, and Michigan's political influence is dying with it.

The only politicians strongly in favor of this are from Michigan, and their influence is not what it once was.
They've already reached a tentative agreement on a bailout.

Old 11-20-2008, 11:05 AM

8,762 posts, read 11,574,696 times
Actually, no. I am NOT going to write to my representatives to say "NO". I am for the bail out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies