Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 10:41 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,497,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
I love Barack Obama.

Very accepting of other faiths and recognizes there are more religions here aside from Christianity.

Thank you, GOD for Barack Obama!
I guess you've never read the real patriot act ....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2009, 10:44 PM

1,089 posts, read 1,528,147 times
What does religion have to do with government? I think our founding fathers were very clear about that, and I think they were very aware of the problems that the marriage of religion and government have caused in Europe and they, our founding fathers, did not want to repeat the same mistakes. Religion is so personal. It is about our spiritual connection with something that is bigger than we are.

Old 05-10-2009, 10:53 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,307,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
How would you feel about a non Christian/Catholic president of America?

Personally, I would not mind it and *may* actually prefer someone who is non Christian or Catholic. I am not even sure if we have ever elected a president who was not Christian or Catholic.

The only religion I *might* not like the president to be is Islam. It is not that I do not like this religion..it is simply because I do not feel Americans are ready for an Islamic president with this war and situations.

However, I would not mind an Atheist, Agnostic, Buddhist, Hindu..any other religion being in office.

How about you?
In case you don't know, JFK was a Catholic and he did no harm to any other religions while in office. Many people feared him for his religion because they feared he would let the Pope call the shots for him. Of course, he wouldn't have done that because of the Constitution.

Whoops I say that and then say that Obama and the Dems in Congress will do all these things to us. I think they will do so outside the Constitution since politicians of both parties have been willing to stretch the Consitution all over the place the past few years.

However, JFK wasn't as interested in raw power as the pols of today are, IMO.

I won't be ready for a Muslim in my lifetime but that won't be long either.

I am a very hard driving Christian but I look to people ,as my President, as something other than religious tools. Is that not what you are saying?

Old 05-11-2009, 06:22 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,547,484 times
I don't carre about my president's religious affiliation; I'm electing him or her to lead the nation, not a church. After all, Washington D.C. not Teheran, is our nation's capital.

Old 05-11-2009, 06:50 AM

4,173 posts, read 6,692,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Do you care if he has the balls or not to stand up for what he thinks?
Some of the strongest leaders have been without the pair below - Thatcher, Bhandarnaike(?) in Sri Lanka, Golda Mier, Indira Gandhi, etc.

Last edited by calmdude; 05-11-2009 at 07:28 AM..

Old 05-11-2009, 07:27 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,649,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Do you care if he has the balls or not to stand up for what he thinks?
I wish he could, but in todays America religion (or lack thereof) is no longer between a man and his conscience. It has become a barameter of a politicians electability, which is really scary to see how far the religious right has infiltrated American politics.

As I have said before, religious extremism is bad whether it is an islamist or a christian fundementalist. Whenever there is a desire for a theocracy however benign, we should all be very afraid and very vigilant to oppose it.

Old 05-11-2009, 07:32 AM

5,922 posts, read 8,073,844 times
Many of the early presidents were deists.

Old 05-11-2009, 10:34 AM

8,762 posts, read 11,582,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
I wish he could, but in todays America religion (or lack thereof) is no longer between a man and his conscience. It has become a barameter of a politicians electability, which is really scary to see how far the religious right has infiltrated American politics.

As I have said before, religious extremism is bad whether it is an islamist or a christian fundementalist. Whenever there is a desire for a theocracy however benign, we should all be very afraid and very vigilant to oppose it.
Yeah. I dont understand why religious plays such a big role in electing a president.

Goes back to people only wanting their own in office no matter how good the other candidate might be.

Old 05-11-2009, 11:09 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,497,598 times
I think you'll find it's not as critical as you might think to people. Reagan didn't attend church while in the White House and he carried the religious right all the way to the left though not many of the far lefties. The main thing I think most people are looking for in a presidents religion is core values, people need be able to relate in a way to someone they want to elect. Politicians tend to tell you whatever you want to hear so actions, at least to me, speak louder than words. 20 years of a particular practice is plenty long enough to make assumptions about wither they agree with something or not.

Quote:
President Reagan's spokesman said today that the President seldom attended church services because he disliked inconveniencing parishioners. He also said that Mr. Reagan did not intend to make morality a campaign issue.
Larry Speakes, the deputy press secretary, faced questions about the President's religious habits in the wake of Mr. Reagan's overtly religious speech Tuesday to the National Association of Evangelicals and his push for approval of a constitutional amendment allowing voluntary prayer in public schools.
http://www.nytimes.com/1984/03/08/us...ch-habits.html

I don't really think we have changed dramatically since then although plenty of things have changed. Those were his core values and people, religious or not, voted him in pretty convincingly.

Old 05-11-2009, 03:37 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,630,117 times
I, personally, don't care what religion the President practices (although being non-Christian myself, I suppose someone will eventually accuse me of bias in this regard). The only thing I object to is a President who decides that his religion ought to be pushed in everyone else's face--names omitted to avoid tedious repetition of the previous administration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies