Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 11:48 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,786,757 times

Advertisements

I don't agree with calling those who are "anti gay" bigots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2008, 11:48 AM

123 posts, read 571,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
I highly doubt there are going to be protests here. protesters here would be beaten down big time. the cops where I live don't tolerate ANYTHING!
I heard some people say the same thing about Charleston, SC ("The Holy City"), and then last week there were several hundred protesters downtown. More and more, the current generation sees through the smokescreen of those who "don't hate gays" and just want to "protect the sanctity of marriage." I think the fact that young people have finally opened their eyes to the reality that these types of public initiatives aren't simply about marriage, or whatever we ultimately call gay unions. There are a lot of folks out there who want to see homosexuality re-criminalized. Marriage, at this point in time, is just an easier target from which to begin to break down the so-called gay agenda. Therefore, if we view this aspect of the culture wars from this perspective, it makes perfect sense that young people, many of whom apparently feel threatened, are marching.

Old 11-25-2008, 11:51 AM

Quote:
as a single person, I am outraged that I have to pay property taxes to educate someone else's children. I am not going to block traffic because of it.
Did you attend public schools?

If so, I am pretty sure there were single people who paid property taxes for you to go to school.

I'm never having kids and sure it would be nice if property taxes were reduced for those without kids since they don't have kids in the school BUT I'd much rather the young kids in this country be educated because they are the future and we need more educated people in this country.

If you really feel strongly about it, why not write to your city council representative or your state legislator. It's worth a shot. They will at least know how you feel on the issue.

Old 11-25-2008, 11:53 AM

8,577 posts, read 7,849,699 times
protesters are very similar to people who attend political rallies. they need to be told what to do, and need to feel accepted. it's sad, but like I said, they have ever right to a peaceful and legal protest. if it spills to the street, each person should be cited for jaywalking, and if they don't move, they should be tased and arrested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuevaluz View Post
I heard some people say the same thing about Charleston, SC ("The Holy City"), and then last week there were several hundred protesters downtown. More and more, the current generation sees through the smokescreen of those who "don't hate gays" and just want to "protect the sanctity of marriage." I think the fact that young people have finally opened their eyes to the reality that these types of public initiatives aren't simply about marriage, or whatever we ultimately call gay unions. There are a lot of folks out there who want to see homosexuality re-criminalized. Marriage, at this point in time, is just an easier target from which to begin to break down the so-called gay agenda. Therefore, if we view this aspect of the culture wars from this perspective, it makes perfect sense that young people, many of whom apparently feel threatened, are marching.

Old 11-25-2008, 11:55 AM

605 posts, read 1,198,675 times
Quote:
I haven't been infringing on anything. the people of california voted against gay marriage. get over yourself. marriage isn't a right. it discriminates against single people. single people unite. you can spill all you want to, but I have every right to run you over by "accident."

Now who's promoting hurting others. I suspect by your bigotry, it would not be an accident anyway.

Old 11-25-2008, 11:55 AM

I went to both public and private schools. I was simply trying to draw comparisons that there is unfairness to everyone. I would like young kids in my community educated as well, so why does the US barely rank in the top 20? there is no way our democrat mayor would lower property taxes. mine are going up another 5%.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveTodayLez08 View Post
Did you attend public schools?

If so, I am pretty sure there were single people who paid property taxes for you to go to school.

I'm never having kids and sure it would be nice if property taxes were reduced for those without kids since they don't have kids in the school BUT I'd much rather the young kids in this country be educated because they are the future and we need more educated people in this country.

If you really feel strongly about it, why not write to your city council representative or your state legislator. It's worth a shot. They will at least know how you feel on the issue.

Old 11-25-2008, 11:56 AM

I am promoting that idiots get out of my way or suffer. they are infringing on my right to go about my daily business, and they will be punished.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfOmaha View Post
Now who's promoting hurting others. I suspect by your bigotry, it would not be an accident anyway.

Old 11-25-2008, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveTodayLez08 View Post
I don't agree with calling those who are "anti gay" bigots.

Well, I do. I'm just calling it like it is.

Old 11-25-2008, 11:59 AM

Quote:
I went to both public and private schools. I was simply trying to draw comparisons that there is unfairness to everyone. I would like young kids in my community educated as well, so why does the US barely rank in the top 20? there is no way our democrat mayor would lower property taxes. mine are going up another 5%.
Yeah, just about every group has something they can genuinely complain about.
I'm sure once I get older, I will be complaining more and more about taxes, especially since I am never getting married and I am never having kids.

I went to public and private schools as well.

I don't think spending more on schools improves quality. I think the reason most schools in wealthy areas perform better is because quality teachers tend to want to go to wealthier kids and deal with kids who will behave better on average. That's not to say there can't be a good school in a poor neighborhood but eh..

'Tis another topic for another thread.

What is the mayor's reason for raising property taxes?

Old 11-25-2008, 12:00 PM

Quote:
I am promoting that idiots get out of my way or suffer. they are infringing on my right to go about my daily business, and they will be punished.

Well, that how I feel about the gay issue. Get over it. Get over yourself. Quite repressing yourself. You know what they about those who are too homophobic to be real.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies