Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 07:09 PM

3,089 posts, read 8,510,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftydan6 View Post
Why are we still giving this stupid girl the attention? There are far more tragic missing children cases than the slutty girl who drank all night and then left alone with three guys. If my teenage daughter did that, I'd be ashamed of her. This girl was giving body shots at the bar and was drinking like there was no tomorrow. Any girl dumb enough to get plastered on a foreign island and then leave with locals is asking for danger. Does the media really need to keep going back to this just because she's a pretty, white, rich girl? Maybe high schools shouldn't be taking a bunch of wild teens on an unsupervised vacation to Aruba...
I think he is tired of the medias pretty white girl fascination. Why is it that she so important then all the other people that go missing each year. She is not it's just that as soon as something happens to a pretty white girl it makes front news. Had the girl been any other race or male this wouldn't even have made a tiny one word sentence on back of a free newspaper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2008, 07:47 PM

952 posts, read 3,706,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitokenshi View Post
I think he is tired of the medias pretty white girl fascination. Why is it that she so important then all the other people that go missing each year. She is not it's just that as soon as something happens to a pretty white girl it makes front news. Had the girl been any other race or male this wouldn't even have made a tiny one word sentence on back of a free newspaper.
Her parents were the once that really pushed this you know. They don't give up. They are the reason she is still headline news. And as far as if she been black or male. You know you are wrong. I can't believe you still believe that hype. Look, we have a black president. Give you fellow humans some credit would you?

Old 11-25-2008, 07:52 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,629,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftydan6 View Post
Why are we still giving this stupid girl the attention? There are far more tragic missing children cases than the slutty girl who drank all night and then left alone with three guys. If my teenage daughter did that, I'd be ashamed of her. This girl was giving body shots at the bar and was drinking like there was no tomorrow. Any girl dumb enough to get plastered on a foreign island and then leave with locals is asking for danger. Does the media really need to keep going back to this just because she's a pretty, white, rich girl? Maybe high schools shouldn't be taking a bunch of wild teens on an unsupervised vacation to Aruba...
Nobody "asks" to be murdered based on what the popular belief is. Your post is offensive and disgusting.

Old 11-25-2008, 08:02 PM

3,089 posts, read 8,510,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwine View Post
Her parents were the once that really pushed this you know. They don't give up. They are the reason she is still headline news. And as far as if she been black or male. You know you are wrong. I can't believe you still believe that hype. Look, we have a black president. Give you fellow humans some credit would you?
What the heck does having a black president have anything to do with the medias obsession for white woman/girls?

Missing white woman syndrome - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natalee_Holloway

Quote:
The saturation of coverage triggered a backlash among some critics who argued that such extensive media attention validates the "missing white woman syndrome" theory, which argues that missing-person cases involving white women and girls receive disproportionate attention in the media compared with cases involving males or non-white people. CNN ran a segment criticizing the amount of coverage their competitors gave to the story despite what they characterized as a lack of new items to report, with CNN news anchor Anderson Cooper calling the coverage "downright ridiculous"

Old 11-25-2008, 10:13 PM

15,866 posts, read 21,445,747 times
Sorry, but I'm going to have to agree with lefty- though not in such strong words. Absolutely she is a victim and no one has ANY right to so much as touch one hair on your head if you do not want it- much less any of the possible scenarios of what happened to Natalie. The blame is certainly on the young men who almost certainly were directly involved with her death/sale/disappearance. That does not mean that we cannot look at Natalie as the picture of an immature, spoiled child who did everything wrong that she could possibly do to put herself in danger.

However, this should be a wakeup call. We are told that we should never blame the victim- but there are a dozen things that Natalie did that specifically led to her demise. I also blame her friends for letting her get out of their site, the chaperones for doing a **** poor job, and parents for raising a child with ZERO common sense. I'm a year younger than Natalie and recently went through an awful ordeal in Mexico where locals took advantage of what they perceived as young tourists. These events happened when we were all sober, in large groups, and very aware of our surroundings. It's simple common sense not to drink too much in a foreign country, NEVER leave your friends (or let your friends leave you), and NEVER EVER go off with strangers. I don't care if you're 18 or 80- the same rules apply.

I truly feel bad for Natalie. Her first taste of the real world where her poor choices actually impacted her life and this is what happens. The thing is, it could happen to anyone anywhere- and it's especially disturbing to me that this group of students let their guard down so much when out of the country.

I'm now 20 years old and am thankful that my parents raised me better. Sure, I'm self righteous- but my self righteousness about my safety and the safety of my friends has kept me as safe as possible through 3 countries. Even being sober, I was still groped and attacked in two separate beaches in Mexico, but I would hate to think what would have happened to me had I followed Natalie's stunning example in irresponsibility.

Old 11-25-2008, 10:28 PM

[quote=nitokenshi;6316637]What the heck does having a black president have anything to do with the medias obsession for white woman/girls?

whatever

Old 11-25-2008, 10:36 PM

714 posts, read 1,539,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Sorry, but I'm going to have to agree with lefty- though not in such strong words. Absolutely she is a victim and no one has ANY right to so much as touch one hair on your head if you do not want it- much less any of the possible scenarios of what happened to Natalie. The blame is certainly on the young men who almost certainly were directly involved with her death/sale/disappearance. That does not mean that we cannot look at Natalie as the picture of an immature, spoiled child who did everything wrong that she could possibly do to put herself in danger.

However, this should be a wakeup call. We are told that we should never blame the victim- but there are a dozen things that Natalie did that specifically led to her demise. I also blame her friends for letting her get out of their site, the chaperones for doing a **** poor job, and parents for raising a child with ZERO common sense. I'm a year younger than Natalie and recently went through an awful ordeal in Mexico where locals took advantage of what they perceived as young tourists. These events happened when we were all sober, in large groups, and very aware of our surroundings. It's simple common sense not to drink too much in a foreign country, NEVER leave your friends (or let your friends leave you), and NEVER EVER go off with strangers. I don't care if you're 18 or 80- the same rules apply.

I truly feel bad for Natalie. Her first taste of the real world where her poor choices actually impacted her life and this is what happens. The thing is, it could happen to anyone anywhere- and it's especially disturbing to me that this group of students let their guard down so much when out of the country.

I'm now 20 years old and am thankful that my parents raised me better. Sure, I'm self righteous- but my self righteousness about my safety and the safety of my friends has kept me as safe as possible through 3 countries. Even being sober, I was still groped and attacked in two separate beaches in Mexico, but I would hate to think what would have happened to me had I followed Natalie's stunning example in irresponsibility.
Spare me please, you have a lot to learn. Everyone has experiences. I'm not that old myself and have been on way more spring breaks than I care to talk about. Yes, I think she should have been more responsible, but it's life and it can happen to anyone.

*gasp* you went to a beach in Mexico....*gasp* how could your parents let you do that? I mean your only 20 years old...

See how it feels. I understand that she was not the smartest when it came to safety, but how dare anyone to talk like she was just a dumb kid. If she was 30 I might somewhat agree with you, but shes not. Teenagers will make mistakes, it's how they get thru them that makes them a great adult. And if you and the other posters are so darn perfect, then I wouldn't want you around my children because if you haven't lost, or screwed up, or done anything that made you think twice, then your not realistic, or heartfelt, or have the ability to know what you might be missing if something in your life were to hit the fan.

Your 20 should explain the comments you made. See the relation?

Old 11-25-2008, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post

You were not even there? Maybe she did or maybe she didn't follow anybody that night. Maybe she was drugged. This is crazy how you all judge her for her appearance and how she was raised. She acted just like a typical teenager.
Some teenager are super responsible as yourself and most are not. Most are just teenager that live and learn.

Old 11-25-2008, 11:30 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwine View Post
You were not even there? Maybe she did or maybe she didn't follow anybody that night. Maybe she was drugged. This is crazy how you all judge her for her appearance and how she was raised. She acted just like a typical teenager.
Some teenager are super responsible as yourself and most are not. Most are just teenager that live and learn.
I've always suspected she was drugged because that's very easy to have done in many foreign countries especially where there are many tourists. The bartenders are happy to put something into a drink, or a waiter.

Her parents are persistent. That's one big reason this story made it. I don't think it's so much about race because the villain in this is also white and he's from money.

Old 11-26-2008, 12:03 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,129,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitokenshi View Post
I was just going to post the very same gripe. I feel for the family of this girl. It must be a nightmare to not have some type of closure. With that said, I cannot help but notice that all of the missing person or crime stories are focused on attractive, white (primarily blond) women or children. It is so obvious that the media is biased and clueless. They attempt to give every story a Hollywood image. As if Hollywood wasn't obnoxious enough.
Superficial to the max!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies