Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 12:35 AM

2,654 posts, read 5,466,086 times

Advertisements

Would any of the UAW defenders here care to try to justify the Jobs Bank program?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2008, 04:16 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,914,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Nah, I'm not laid off, I'm retired.

My yuppie corporate lawyer daughter in Chicago has a 2001 Focus wagon with well over 100,000 miles on it and one problem in that time, a bad ignition lock. I asked her why doesn't she buy a CTS or something but she thinks fancy cars are silly and she uses the EL and the bus most of the time anyway. I bought my other daughter a new Focus in 2002 when she was at school in Champaign and it's been running flawlessly ever since.

Great things unions, that allow a blue collar guy to send his daughters to the University of Illinois and pay all the expenses out of pocket. And buy them new cars to go away to school in too.
bad thing about unions is that their negotiated legacy costs will force the average taxpayer to subsidize their aforementioned union lifestyle........

Old 11-30-2008, 04:38 AM

38,642 posts, read 26,378,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Grass Fever View Post
Like many, your viewpoint is outdated with reality nowadays. Alot has changed since 1998.

OK, I'll ask.

What, pray-tell, has changed?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Old 11-30-2008, 04:38 AM

2,311 posts, read 2,829,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreySH View Post
I didn't forget them. I just didn't mention them, per se.

On the other hand, it's highly likely that there are nowhere near as many engineers and designers as there are union laborers. So their expense is rather minimal. Plus, it's necessary to have a high degree of education in order to do their jobs, so the requirements of the job demand more pay.
This post is somewhat ironic to those following the actions of the UAW. If the big three fail they will be the most educated labor union in the world.

Brainstorm: 5,000 Postdocs Choose UAW - Chronicle.com
UAW Local 2865
GSOC/UAW Local 2110 at NYU

There wont be a UAW member with less then a MS degree by next summer if the big three fail, but the UAW has diversified enough to maintain significant numbers nonetheless.

Old 11-30-2008, 05:32 AM

955 posts, read 2,157,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJoey View Post
This post is somewhat ironic to those following the actions of the UAW. If the big three fail they will be the most educated labor union in the world.

There wont be a UAW member with less then a MS degree by next summer if the big three fail, but the UAW has diversified enough to maintain significant numbers nonetheless.
DrJoey is absolutely correct. The autoworkers as a whole are very well educated and trained. So if they become available to do other things in the workforce, the problem will be that most other workers will not have the skills to compete with them. That is where the unemployment issue will hit.

Old 11-30-2008, 06:04 AM

1,736 posts, read 4,744,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geos View Post
Except Honda & Toyota? Let's be honest the Big 3 have been losing market share for decades because of poor quality and poor management decisions. The writing has been on the wall for decades.
Really?
I guess that’s why Toyota built the Tundra, mini vans, SUV’s and that mini truck certainly doesn’t get good mileage. As for Honda, same as Toyota. Except that sort of truck thing they built don’t know exactly why they did that, but the mileage isn’t a reflection of a company knowing gas prices would peak at $5 per gallon.

Old 11-30-2008, 06:38 AM

4,494 posts, read 7,481,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC Investor2 View Post
Would any of the UAW defenders here care to try to justify the Jobs Bank program?
They, as we speak, are getting rid of that. The corporation has been, for the last two years, getting labor-required in line with labor-needed. There has been lots of buyouts and "forced" retirements. Most of the people i work with in my plant are from the job-bank all over from SE Michigan.

The gears turn slowly in a behemoth of a corporation....

Old 11-30-2008, 06:43 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
You can get distortion from multiple overhead accounts, depending how cost are recognized and distributed by the company. This gets even more difficult to critically evaluate if the company owns multiple businesses in which to allocate overhead cost, thereby potentially distorting the cost of goods sold.

However, we should be able to ascertain how many direct labor hours go into the production of specific vehicles, and the "loaded" cost per hour of that labor (fully burdened for items such as healthcare and pensions).

This sounds like management shielding themselves from a true accounting.

i.e The head of the Chevrolet Division is the head of the Chevrolet Division, HE/SHE is responsible for Chevrolet and their total compensation can be charged off on a per vehicle basis, same goes for every white collar employee of the Chevrolet Division. How many other businesses GM owns is irrelevant.

The same applies to retired management pensions/healthcare costs.

Without knowing those costs holding the UAW to be the culprit for a failing company is patently unfair.

Old 11-30-2008, 06:50 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,914,172 times
and holding the taxpayers accountable to bail out both the UAW and GM is also patently unfair.

Old 11-30-2008, 06:52 AM

695 posts, read 1,377,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Grass Fever View Post
They, as we speak, are getting rid of that. The corporation has been, for the last two years, getting labor-required in line with labor-needed. There has been lots of buyouts and "forced" retirements. Most of the people i work with in my plant are from the job-bank all over from SE Michigan.

The gears turn slowly in a behemoth of a corporation....
Which is one of the reasons the Big 3 are in so much trouble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies