Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 06:09 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,516,738 times

Advertisements

not me. i like you. but did you think that christ and his followers were going to be the only ones to get it? they were hated and they hate you.
you and i are not better than peter not better than paul.
there is no free ride, it comes with a price.
dont try to make friends with evil. not guna happen.
these are not the mr rogers people.
these are the romans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2008, 06:14 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,029,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hate Shrubs View Post
In the past the Christians used the sword and the cross to convert the nonbelievers. Now they are much more civilized. Now they just brainwash them when they are young
Ah, so teaching equals brainwashing, huh? So, did your parents enroll you in school when you were a kid and expect you to go every day? Were you taught the Pledge of Allegiance, the National Anthem, social mores, rules, and expected to obey them? Oooops, guess you're "brainwashed," too, by the state! If not, then you're anti-social.

Old 12-05-2008, 06:41 PM

234 posts, read 294,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalrap View Post
How do they do that?
How are they brainwashing the young? We have over 200 Christian colleges in this country. And now the fundamental evangelists are trying to have creationism accepted as legitimate science and be teach in schools.

Old 12-05-2008, 06:45 PM

4,050 posts, read 6,146,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
Ah, so teaching equals brainwashing, huh? So, did your parents enroll you in school when you were a kid and expect you to go every day? Were you taught the Pledge of Allegiance, the National Anthem, social mores, rules, and expected to obey them? Oooops, guess you're "brainwashed," too, by the state! If not, then you're anti-social.
I wasn't aware that Christianity, or any other religion, is a set of facts taught in public schools. And you're right--the Pledge of Allegiance, etc. are brainwashing tools that schools use. They're forced onto children who are not yet equipped to think critically about them. Rules for young children are the same way, except they are necessary to keep order. But as one grows older and develops those critical thinking skills, he or she needs to be able to judge whether or not a rule is reasonable--following any kind of doctrine blindly is foolish. It's no different with religion--one has to approach it with a brain, too, and evaluate it. "Without the voice of reason, every faith is its own curse." (That's Sting, by the way, so feel free to laugh at me for using it). One difference between rules in grade school and organized religion, though, is that the former is necessary to maintain order and an environment that is conducive to learning and growth. Christianity, Islam, and just about any other organized religion I can think of is pretty daunting for a child to truly understand, and I personally think it's very irresponsible to try to coerce a child into fully accepting such a belief system. When he becomes an adult, he can make an informed decision about whether or not to follow an organized religion. And no, being able to do so does not make one anti-social.

Old 12-05-2008, 07:02 PM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 5,384,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hate Shrubs View Post
How are they brainwashing the young? We have over 200 Christian colleges in this country. And now the fundamental evangelists are trying to have creationism accepted as legitimate science and be teach in schools.
Pardon my digression from the eloquent philosophical treatise on religion on this thread, but why do you "hate shrubs"?

Old 12-05-2008, 07:07 PM

315 posts, read 1,088,863 times
Has anyone noticed the original poster Tomocox has not returned since the first post...you've all been arguing with each other over something started by one person who is probably sitting back and watching the fireworks...sounds like another person I knew on another forum.

Old 12-05-2008, 07:12 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,327,117 times
Once again, it is amazing the hatred expressed without knowing me or what I stand for or against. I wonder the pain that such a person must live with for assuming only makes a thinking person even more uncertain and therefore afraid.

As a Christian, I have no desire to impose my will upon anyone, but to suggest we want to is forgetting that the most obvious Christian in recent political history is Jimmy Carter, a liberal Democrat.

It's amazing to me how unwilling to learn so many are.

Old 12-05-2008, 07:15 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,327,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoran View Post
Has anyone noticed the original poster Tomocox has not returned since the first post...you've all been arguing with each other over something started by one person who is probably sitting back and watching the fireworks...sounds like another person I knew on another forum.
Y, thank ya, I was missed. Actually, I have enjoyed the fireworks as my last post indicated. I am not a stink stirring guy. If I start something, I'll be around to the finish.

Old 12-05-2008, 07:17 PM

4,050 posts, read 6,146,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
Once again, it is amazing the hatred expressed without knowing me or what I stand for or against.
I really don't think anyone is here to express any kind of hatred toward you. Of course the subject has changed in the thread, but I don't think anyone was ever expressing hatred toward you.

Old 12-05-2008, 07:23 PM

1,509 posts, read 3,086,893 times
Yawn. Depeche Mode said the same thing 20 years ago. Not very original. Compare the two bolded portions:

People are people
So why should it be
You and I should get along so awfully
People are people
So why should it be

So were different colours
And were different creeds
And different people
Have different needs
Its obvious you hate me
Though Ive done nothing wrong
Ive never even met you
So what could I have done
I cant understand
What makes a man
Hate another man
Help me understand
People are people
So why should it be
People are people
So why should it be
Help me understand
Help me understand

Now youre punching
And youre kicking
And youre shouting at me
And Im relying on your common decency
So far it hasnt surfaced
But Im sure it exists
It just takes a while to travel
From your head to your fist (head to your fists)
I cant understand what makes a man
Hate another man
Help me understand
People are people
So why should it be
People are people
So why should it be

I cant understand
What makes a man
Hate another man
Help me understand
I cant understand
What makes a man
Hate another man
Help me understand
I cant understand
What makes a man
Hate another man
I cant understand (people are people)
What makes a man (why should it be)
Hate another man
Help me understand...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
(mods: please note this is a political, not a religious thread)

I am sad that so many people have decided that I am everything they want to fear, and fear causes them to hate me just like they say I hate.

I am a Christian, life time Southern Baptist to be exact. I am a small business owner, a Realtor, too. I am a "born again" conservative, that is I once was a flaming red liberal. I am of Swedish/Irish/English/Scot ancestory so I am white, too.

So why do you hate me when you don't know me? Why do you assume that I hate you? Why do you assume that I hate Gays? Why do you assume that I want to control you? Why do you fear Christ and Christianity?

I wish that I could personally meet with anyone who feels hatred towards me for if I could meet them, I am sure their fear would be changed from hatred to at least acceptance, if not understanding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies