Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2008, 08:36 PM

540 posts, read 630,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
(mods: please note this is a political, not a religious thread)

I am sad that so many people have decided that I am everything they want to fear, and fear causes them to hate me just like they say I hate.

I am a Christian, life time Southern Baptist to be exact. I am a small business owner, a Realtor, too. I am a "born again" conservative, that is I once was a flaming red liberal. I am of Swedish/Irish/English/Scot ancestory so I am white, too.

So why do you hate me when you don't know me? Why do you assume that I hate you? Why do you assume that I hate Gays? Why do you assume that I want to control you? Why do you fear Christ and Christianity?

Many of the people that post here are prisoners of despair. They don't hate you,- they hate themselves.They look at those that feel happiness and are able to feed, clothe, shelter themselves with nothing more than the will to work, and in their intellectually handicapped coma they lash out at those that have light in their lives as opposed to darkness. Yes there is a sense I share with you to want to bring them into the light. You must understand that this is ordained long before you and I came to the scene. Contemporary thought refers to it as useful idiots. I have not yet found out what the use implies. Perhaps it is to keep a gps for the rest of us.
Do not feel pity for them. Wish for them the best but stay away from the poison that exudes from their words. It is akin to an old zombie movie, the blood is bad and you cannot bring them back.
In the words of St. Thomas, some are born of darkness and some are born of light. I would add that you can bring light into the darkness but it is impossible to bring darkness into light.
Be thankful poster that you are what you are and let that be enough. What a wonderful testimony of truth. God bless you.

I wish that I could personally meet with anyone who feels hatred towards me for if I could meet them, I am sure their fear would be changed from hatred to at least acceptance, if not understanding.
God accepts you and God fearing people accept you. It is not everyones cause to be a missionary. You do not have to travel to Africa to find savages and lions,-they ae in your midst. Shield your heart, shield your mind, save your soul. This will keep your happiness intact. They can never know that happiness until they are willing to shed their narcissism. It is their narcissism that keeps them in the dark. Continue to be a beacon of light. If you save only one from the darkness you have populated a world with good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2008, 08:43 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,139,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
Yes, we who are Christian wish to encourage (but not to overwhelm or demand) that others might see the value of our faith. True Christians spread the faith by showing the Christlike love of fellow humans. Why would any thinking person wish to condemn or fear such people?
Fear when they say one thing and do another.
Condemn when they insist they are right for doing so.

This Christlike love you mention hasn't been in evidence for a long time from my perspective. If they really loved others, they would leave others alone to be themselves. If they really loved others they'd rise up and oppose torture of others by their government, but they remain silent. Instead they waste their time changing states' constitutions.

One person's "encourage" can be another's "invasive".

Old 12-05-2008, 09:06 PM

234 posts, read 294,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS View Post
Pardon my digression from the eloquent philosophical treatise on religion on this thread, but why do you "hate shrubs"?
Actually it’s only one shrub. And after January 20, I won’t hate him anymore. Just the things he did to this country and the world.

Old 12-05-2008, 09:13 PM

234 posts, read 294,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalrap View Post
So go to a state school. If people decide to go to a Christian school they should expect to be taught Christian ways. Just like if you decide to go to a Muslim, Jewish or nursing school. Trying to teach creationism in school is still a far cry from "they are brainwashing the young"

Teaching creationism in school is another debate. Regardless if you or I believe in a God, apparently 85% of Americans do. They go to church or temple or whatever and are taught about their creator then go to a gubmint school to be told that's hog wash. I think creationism could be part of the curriculum without being dishonest to either. I'm not afraid.
Believe me I have plenty to say on the subject. Unfortunately is getting too late and it will have to wait for tomorrow.

Old 12-05-2008, 11:15 PM

3,032 posts, read 8,921,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
Who's being oppressed?

You're the one that is trying to force your views on us and change what has existed for hundreds of years. Not very tolerant of you....
Nope. I don't say you have to be an atheist. We just want freedom of speech, which you aren't giving us. Other things have existed for hundreds of years, too, which needed changing -- like giving women equal rights, letting blacks vote, et cetera. Guess the people wanting those changed were oppressing those who didn't want change? Yeah, that's it. Women were oppressing men by asking for equal rights. Blacks were oppressing whites by wanting equal rights. Just like atheists are oppressing Christians by wanting equality. It's all so clear to me now, whyever didn't I see it before? Hallelujah.

Old 12-05-2008, 11:24 PM
JGY

347 posts, read 419,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSuSushi View Post
Nope. I don't say you have to be an atheist. We just want freedom of speech, which you aren't giving us..
You already have freedom of speech, both in the media and in the voting booth, the only thing you don't have is overwleming support from your fellow citizens, and to force them to accept you is akin to communism and everything that democracy stands against..

Last edited by JGY; 12-05-2008 at 11:25 PM.. Reason: better wording

Old 12-05-2008, 11:38 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Someone enlighten me as to how Christians are pushing their views or dictating "moral law" anymore than anyother group, say, gays, pro-choice, LaRaza or Muslims? Is one group anymore welcome to lobby than another?
Those "other" groups are pushing for abolition of laws that restrict people's day to day lives. Christians are up front in the movement to preserve of enact laws that restrict gays, reproductive choice, and ethnic identity.

You are lobbying for moral laws, everybody you fear is lobbying against moral laws. And you don't get to decide what is moral.

Old 12-05-2008, 11:45 PM
JGY

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
You are lobbying for moral laws, everybody you fear is lobbying against moral laws. And you don't get to decide what is moral.
Then who does get to decide?

Old 12-05-2008, 11:47 PM
JGY

And what's up with the ethnic identity thing? It is not a crime in our country to identify as black, white, or whatever.

Old 12-05-2008, 11:50 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schtyk View Post
God accepts you and God fearing people accept you. It is not everyones cause to be a missionary. You do not have to travel to Africa to find savages and lions,-they ae in your midst. Shield your heart, shield your mind, save your soul. This will keep your happiness intact. They can never know that happiness until they are willing to shed their narcissism. It is their narcissism that keeps them in the dark. Continue to be a beacon of light. If you save only one from the darkness you have populated a world with good.
You think you posess a special beauty, because you glow in the light of a god that suits your purposes. Equals narcissism.

You have no right to imply that my faith is inferior to yours. You have no right to invite me to your church. You have no right to knock on my door and arouse me from my slumber in order to point out that you think I might be a happyer person if I embrace your faith. You have no right to ask me if I have accepted the Lord Jesus as my savior. That is a highly personal matter, and you have no right to know and no right to ask. You have the legal right, it is freedom of speech. But you have no moral right, because ordinary human decency does not allow for telling a stranger to his face that you think what he has faith in is wrong. But then, you Christians have no clue as to what is a moral right.

If you save only one from the darkness you have stepped over the line of human decency.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies