Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 12:25 PM

4,050 posts, read 6,140,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickRick1 View Post
"If you want to get some useless degree at some private college, I say you deserve what you get."

Umm, doesn't this sound like an attack on me first?

Especially how she just assumed so much to begin with. But if it sounded harsh, I apologize but I felt attacked as well.
Well, I guess it's not worth us debating it in particular, since I don't know for sure what was intended, but I took it as the general "you," and not directed at you specifically. But maybe I feel that way because I'm familiar with her posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2008, 12:26 PM

3,292 posts, read 4,474,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Do not go to college if you are getting into debt. It is that simple. Just work.
That's overly simplistic. There is good debt and there is bad debt. In this country getting a degree is generally good debt because it opens up your options later on.

Old 12-09-2008, 12:28 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinkieMcGee View Post
That's overly simplistic. There is good debt and there is bad debt. In this country getting a degree is generally good debt because it opens up your options later on.
i dont feel that way but i listen to dave ramsey alot.

Old 12-09-2008, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Do not go to college if you are getting into debt. It is that simple. Just work.
Oh come on. It isn't that simple.

Old 12-09-2008, 12:34 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,729,131 times
I know so many people with a degree they don't or can't use in real life. I mean really what good is a philosphy major! or how many people are going to get jobs being a anthropoligist or sismiologist. There are only so many of those jobs out there. I get so tired of teachers who tell kids they won't amount to jack unless they go to college...BULL Heres a tip BHO is going to invest in infrastructure projects across the country. Roads, bridges, electricial transmission etc.... Learn how to weld or drive a bulldozer or be a lineman. We can't find enough people to do these things now. and you can earn good money doing them.

Old 12-09-2008, 12:40 PM

784 posts, read 2,265,731 times
I've been done with it. I graduated college several years ago. However, I would think there is alot to what I am saying. I have talked to other people in similar situations as well as numerous college proffesors who have similar views.

Things are not always what they seem. Our government runs on lies, manipulation, etc. Who is to say that this is not another form of control by the government? There was a time about 40 years ago where college was free in Southern california. Why did we do away with that.

Furthermore, we give college loans to anyone, there isn't much different to the situation with bank loans for which we are in now. Unlike bank loans however is that everyone under a certain payscale qualifies for government student loans. Furthermore, with student loans like I mentioned before, you can't bankrupt. Today there are being records set in bailing out big industry after big industry, yet still nothing protecting the "little man", sort of speak. Our government continues to look after the rich while the poor continue to struggle. Where is our poor relief?

When the government wants their money, they will get it. They will garnish your wages if you fail to pay it back, no ifs ands or buts. Why big industry doesn't live to the same standards is beyond me. So imagine the already one third taken out of your paycheck now add to that up to 17% the government will now garnish. You would be working for half a wage.

In this economy unfortunately this is many graduates reality. Not everyone finds the perfect job and continues to thrive economically. Unfortunately many college grads never do what they went to school for and end up working much less desirable, lower waged jobs. Let's not act like going to college and doing all of that hard work to get a degree is a fun priveledge as well. It's hard work, and we pay for that work. So for many the rewards never equate to the hard work and time you put in.

I know some friends who went into the service, who have scratched out a decent life with good pay from it. I also know many who have gone to school and worked their asz off to not get anywhere. while then there were others immediately following high school, who went to work in a factory and they make much more than the one who put their life on hold to do college.

All the so called rewards of graduating from college or the promises of a better job through higher education never came true. Now that same person who put all of them years in college are now working for that guy who went straight into a factory after highschool because for whatever reason their degree didn't pan out, and they dont have the rest of their life to keep searching for a good job, thats assuming there were any in there immediate area to find. However, they still had bills to pay and Loans to take care of so they sacrificed evrey thing that had value to them and what made them enter higher education to begin with. They settle.

Last edited by SlickRick1; 12-09-2008 at 01:06 PM..

Old 12-09-2008, 12:47 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,858,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickRick1 View Post
What I mean by this is for those who have to take out loan after loan after loan to support the cost of higher education. Many of us graduate college already very in debt before they even begin to work. I think this is very disturbing, especially in a time of economic crisis like we have today and we've had over the last several years.
I say we are slaves because if we cannot find a job in our field, we are forced for example to take two full time minimum wage jobs just to offset the extra cost of loans each month. I think this is another way for the government to control us. Is it no wonder student loans are not bankruptable. Almost everything in life is bankruptable, but student loans. I dont think its fair that a college grad has to start his career 60 to a 100'000 grand in debt.
Not all college grads have this problem. Some are rich and will never understand the added burden and stress twenty years of loan payment can put on a young adult so early in their life.
The government tries to look good by having these loans available, but are they really benefiting us? Is it a benefit to start your life in such debt, especially in a time where good jobs are so hard to find.
The other sad reality is when school tuitions increase, this just increases the amount one has to take out and pay back.
In the end they become slaves. While so many others have the advantage of claiming bankruptcy to mend their mistakes. For instance the man or women who uses credit cards like candy on everything they purchase. Then claim bankruptcy.
Why are college grads held so accountable, yet so many others, including companies get bailed out.
I think this is a serious misjustice to those who pursue a better life through higher education and do so under these conditions.
It doesn't help that twenty years ago a bachelor degree was worth something, now we are constantly being forced to pursue a masters or higher, which is in the end, just more debt to pay back.
Many who fall into this situation are slaves to the government. This is why I entiltled this the way I did.
Its not anyone's fault but YOURS... why did you pick a career that was oversaturated or had a poor outlook... why are you blaming the government for your choices? Would you rather they say "Congratulations, you are the 12,573,572 engineer and this city doesn't need any more, so look elsewhere."... Personally I think there should be more farmers, more waitresses, more blue-colored jobs... are people going to school to become them? Nope... you think society has enough positions for all these white-colored workers? So you complain that you made the wrong decision and now owe all this money... instead of finding out what your city is lacking and go and try to fill that position, you did what MOST college grads do... try to fill a job market that is oversaturated and with all the new layoffs and firings, you have to compete with people that have something more than you... experience... and in a poor job market with a lot of jobs that are oversaturated in certain parts of country, its YOUR job to locate to an area that might not of been your choice... but it was your choice to become educated like the other million of idiots who choose to be in the same job market that already has too many job applicants for the same position... instead of looking for a job that doesn't have as many applicants and getting educated in that field...

Old 12-09-2008, 12:48 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,729,131 times
free college is Cali was still available when I was stationed out there in the early 80's.. A legacy of Gov. Ronald Regan ...........As for the views of College proffesors. OF course they'll condem the Goverment. Todays colleges seem to be a hotbed of leftist elitiest eggheads.........

Old 12-09-2008, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
I know so many people with a degree they don't or can't use in real life. I mean really what good is a philosphy major!
It's useful if you get a doctorate and plan on teaching. Also, I've heard that if you're going to law school, an undergraduate degree in philosophy is a good thing to have when you're applying. Don't know if it's true or not, as I didn't particularly enjoy the one philosophy class I took and wouldn't dream of going to law school.

Quote:
I get so tired of teachers who tell kids they won't amount to jack unless they go to college...BULL Heres a tip BHO is going to invest in infrastructure projects across the country. Roads, bridges, electricial transmission etc.... Learn how to weld or drive a bulldozer or be a lineman. We can't find enough people to do these things now. and you can earn good money doing them.
Right, there aren't enough people who want to do jobs like that day in and day out. I wouldn't be able to stand it...though my guess is that fewer women do those jobs, anyway. But people go to college so they don't have to do jobs like that; so they can do something supposedly scholarly (which sometimes winds up being legitimately scholarly and sometimes pointless, depending, IMO). And the resistance to something more manual and physical than sitting behind a desk is probably part of our culture, too.

Last edited by buildings_and_bridges; 12-09-2008 at 01:12 PM..

Old 12-09-2008, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Its not anyone's fault but YOURS... why did you pick a career that was oversaturated or had a poor outlook... why are you blaming the government for your choices? Would you rather they say "Congratulations, you are the 12,573,572 engineer and this city doesn't need any more, so look elsewhere."... Personally I think there should be more farmers, more waitresses, more blue-colored jobs... are people going to school to become them? Nope... you think society has enough positions for all these white-colored workers? So you complain that you made the wrong decision and now owe all this money... instead of finding out what your city is lacking and go and try to fill that position, you did what MOST college grads do... try to fill a job market that is oversaturated and with all the new layoffs and firings, you have to compete with people that have something more than you... experience... and in a poor job market with a lot of jobs that are oversaturated in certain parts of country, its YOUR job to locate to an area that might not of been your choice... but it was your choice to become educated like the other million of idiots who choose to be in the same job market that already has too many job applicants for the same position... instead of looking for a job that doesn't have as many applicants and getting educated in that field...
I don't understand why y'all are being so hard on him. Really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies